How Do You All Pronounce Conch?

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
When I grew up I learned* that the end of conch was pronounced with a hard "c" sound (ie it rhymes with "honk"). However I noticed a lot of Youtubers and streamers pronounce it with a hard "ch" (so that it kind of rhymes with "launch"). At first I thought they were saying it wrong but I looked it up and learned that both pronunciations are actually correct. So now I'm kind of curious how most people in the Splatoon community pronounce it.

PS: It seems like a lot of people don't know the way how to pronounce "triumvirate". Though I do believe languages evolve so maybe the traditional pronunciation is going out or something. If you know please tell me!

*don't remember where but I watched a lot of nature documentaries as a kid.

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
i had no clue it could be pronounced conk, i would guess most people never know that and just judge based on the spelling of the word. cool to learn though

the word "triumvirate" is used in a video that i've rewatched a billion times so i've been fairly confident that my assumption of its pronunciation was correct, and looking it up i think it is; i pronounce it "try-um-ver-it" basically, which is what google yields as the way to say it

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
she/her
ch here too (though in speech it usually disappears into the 'sh' of 'shells' and sounds more like con-shells, hah). I think at heard it with the hard C once as a kid from what seemed like a reputable source so somewhere in the back of my head I wasn't entirely sure which was right but I ended up sticking with ch just because it everyone else was doing it (that's languages for you).

Triumvirate I had to double-check my pronunciation on too but at least it sounds about like what I'd expect.

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
When I grew up I learned* that the end of conch was pronounced with a hard "c" sound (ie it rhymes with "honk"). However I noticed a lot of Youtubers and streamers pronounce it with a hard "ch" (so that it kind of rhymes with "launch"). At first I thought they were saying it wrong but I looked it up and learned that both pronunciations are actually correct. So now I'm kind of curious how most people in the Splatoon community pronounce it.

PS: It seems like a lot of people don't know the way how to pronounce "triumvirate". Though I do believe languages evolve so maybe the traditional pronunciation is going out or something. If you know please tell me!

just say it how you want to say it I say conch (conc) but for a while when I was younger I said it like conch (conch)

edit: sorry if this confuses you.

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
just say it how you want to say it I say conch (conc) but for a while when I was younger I said it like conch (conch)

edit: sorry if this confuses you.
Just to be clear I'm not trying to figure out the definitive way to say it, I was just curious is all. Honestly the only important thing is that people know what you are talking about when you say it.

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
Just to be clear I'm not trying to figure out the definitive way to say it, I was just curious is all. Honestly the only important thing is that people know what you are talking about when you say it.
ok, but once again say it however you want to say it

Arigato!

Pro Squid

I say "Pros and CONCH(eese)

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
No way its conc… im tired of words being spelled completely wrong for literally no reason, WHY DOES IT HAVE A CH??

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
if enough people pronounce a word wrong it eventually becomes an accepted pronunciation and is no longer wrong
therefore despite being a grammar pedant occasionally, I can still pronounce the ch and be right at the same time :)
(in other words they're both correct but I pronounce it how it's spelled)

Last edited:

nineball

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
so i just had this thought randomly: if some people pronounce the singular form of conch as "conk", then how would they pronounce the plural form? according to google, there is only one plural form of the word, that being "conches", and if the "ch" sound is pronounced as "k", then the plural form would be pronounced as... conkes? or is that "e" ignored for it to be pronounced as the more intuitively sounding conks?
2024-06-01_14-17.png

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
No way its conc… im tired of words being spelled completely wrong for literally no reason, WHY DOES IT HAVE A CH??
I don't know, why does loch (as in Loch Ness monster) have a ch?

I think the actual answer is that it's an old word and different cultures have different ways of pronouncing things (it looks like it goes back to greek vs latin). And English (more than most languages) is an amalgamation of a lot of different languages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom