How do you beat Tri-Sloshers and Rapid Blasters?

Cerebralbore101

Inkster Jr.
I just can't beat a team with either of these weapons. The Tri-Slosher is deadly to anybody using a mid or short range weapon, so it easily beats the majority of my teammates in a fight. The Ink Armor special provides a strong advantage to the enemy team long enough for a wipe during a push.

The Rapid Blaster has a greater range than the L3 Nozzlenose and doesn't need line of sight to kill. Once it charges up it's special it can create an overwhelming advantage with Bomb Rush.

Both these weapons are so hard to beat because they offer the same killing power as other short range weapons, without being short range weapons at all. They both have good specials to boot, so after a few easy kills they can turn the entire game around by popping the special.

Cerebralbore101

Inkster Jr.
Nevermind. I'm just going to put this game down until they fix these weapons. Once you hit S rank the game is unbearable. Splatoon 2 has only been out for a month. Hopefully they balance the game like they did with Splatoon 1.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
the easiest way to beat Rapid Blaster and Tri-Slosher is to never play ranked until they get hit by the good ol nerf hammer.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
These weapons lack significantly in speed and turfing, although certainly not compared to the Nozzlenoses. Their main strength is in their tactical advantages. In a toe-to-toe battle they'll lose to most weapons.

In my experience, players using both of those weapons tend to attack anything and everything they think someone might be hiding behind. As a result they're not doing any hiding themselves. Play cautiously and keep an eye on where they are and you can often get the drop on them and take them out.

For the record, I don't think the Rapid Blaster is unbalanced at all. It's one of my mains, but it has a tremendous vulnerability to most shooters, dualies especially, and to brushes. In smaller maps it's easily flanked and taken out. You can do it in larger maps, too, it's just harder.

The Tri-Slosher... yeah, that one probably needs a nerf. It's slower than a shooter, but not so slow that if it starts shooting first it may still easily lose like the Rapid Blaster can. I don't know if it'll get a range nerf, but I do expect them to slow it down by a few frames in the next update or two.

the

Inkling Commander
I haven't played much in the last week or so, but I imagine a good squiffer (or some other sniper/heavy splatling) could take care of them or at least range-bully them into a teammate's gun. Otherwise, playing cautiously and waiting for them to expose themselves has usually worked best for me.

I can't believe I'm actually endorsing camping, but hey. Desperate times :p

Jon914

Pro Squid
I've found that subs work pretty well against an aggressive slosher player who's chasing you. They're tossing a lot of ink, and if you strategically place a bomb as you retreat, they may not notice.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Both are tricky, but sometimes they are not too hard to take down if it's someone using it who clearly isn't a master of it. The mindless tri slosher users who just walk toward you sloshing, while still deadly because of the damage and fire rate, can be countered with quick movement and flanks. However, like I've whined about so many times on the forum, that ink armor can just wallop you no matter what strategy you employ sadly. My best hope of beating tri sloshers is to use the Splattershot Pro or Jet Squelcher. If I have enough time to take them down, I usually can.

The rapid blaster user who knows how you keep you zoned is incredibly hard to counter. Even longer mid range weapons can't reliably counter them well. Being cautious around them and catching them by surprise is very important if you don't out range them. If you do, then you have some wiggle room to beat them before they get to you.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Against the Rapid Blaster you have to get close, fast, to stay out of the burst radius. I've played Rapid a fair bit on Splat1 and enemies getting close was always an issue. Getting two direct hits once the enemy is inside that range is difficult. If you're a short range weapon then Swim Speed and Ink Resistance will help get in the range, and they benefit short range weapons in general.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Tri-Slosher is flat-out broken in it's current state, not much else you can do with that other than picking up a weapon that outranges it. It fires accurate shotgun blasts that in most scenario's will two-shot you, it's literally a .52 gal with razor-sharp accuracy(And even if you can't aim the Tri-Slosher is more than happy to help) and more utility. It's set is also nothing short of amazing, burst bombs help it deal with threats that it cannot reach.
The only real counter you have is just having more skill, or screaming at Nintendo to nerf the damn thing already.

Rapid can be fought just like any other blaster- stay out of it's optimal range, get close and start dealing damage. It's only short-ranged option are ink mines and they won't help in a direct firefight, so once you're in mint-condition and reach them up real close they should be pretty dead already.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
With the Rapid Blaster, I find that it's easy to beat them if you just get up in their face. They're at their most annoying when they're at a distance. Also, they can't ink turf very well, so them being good at splatting is somewhat offset IMO. In fact, I usually get about as many kills with it than with other weapons, and quite a bit less points, so if anything, they need a buff.

I also found that with Tri-Sloshers, they feel quite annoying at times, but when I actually look at the match results, Tri-Sloshers never have a ridiculous amount of splats. In that regard it reminds me of the chargers a bit, except that chargers also don't get a lot of points.
These weapons lack significantly in speed and turfing, although certainly not compared to the Nozzlenoses.
Really? I usually get at least 1000p with the Nozzlenose L-3.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
Yep either completly outrange the rapid blaster or go in as much as you can, i use it myself to counter Tri Slosher because they perfectly stay in your deadzone.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Rapid blasters are significantly crippled if you get up in their face and keep moving.

Tri sloshers....

You're on your own, buddy

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
For tri-sloshers, good luck unless you're using something with a little more range (like the jet squelcher or even splattershot pro). If you have range, they're rather easy to take out.

For the rapid blaster, what everyone else said here is super true. It's a weapon that relies on teammates for a great many things -- most of which is inking. The thing simply can't ink around itself, so if teammates aren't inking for it, the rapid blaster can get stuck in place with no easy escape. The nature of the weapon (not hiding in ink as much as other weapons) combined with this lack of being able to ink turf means it tends to be less mobile than most weapons.

This is why, like others have said (again), you have to play aggressively against a rapid blaster. They want to keep you at range. When you close in on them, it becomes much more difficult for rapids to make a direct hit.

Rapid blasters thrive on chaos. If a group of squids are fighting, a blaster can feast by shooting directly into the group and finishing off their enemies. I think of it like a great shot blocker in basketball. You're so concentrated on beating your defender to get to the rim that you don't notice your shot is about to get swatted into the stands.

But that chaos can also be an opportunity to close in on a rapid blaster outside the ideal range.

My suggestion is to spend a few days playing as the rapid blaster. Pay attention to the times you got killed and why. Pay attention to its weaknesses. Those weaknesses are many. It's a flawed and surprisingly difficult weapon to master. Not every weapon is equipped to take it down -- nor is it equipped to take down every weapon.

I'd rather more people learn the ways to take that weapon down (which are easy once you know them) than Nintendo nerfing the thing just because the opposition hasn't figured out how easy it is to counter.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
For tri-sloshers, good luck unless you're using something with a little more range (like the jet squelcher or even splattershot pro). If you have range, they're rather easy to take out.

For the rapid blaster, what everyone else said here is super true. It's a weapon that relies on teammates for a great many things -- most of which is inking. The thing simply can't ink around itself, so if teammates aren't inking for it, the rapid blaster can get stuck in place with no easy escape. The nature of the weapon (not hiding in ink as much as other weapons) combined with this lack of being able to ink turf means it tends to be less mobile than most weapons.

This is why, like others have said (again), you have to play aggressively against a rapid blaster. They want to keep you at range. When you close in on them, it becomes much more difficult for rapids to make a direct hit.

Rapid blasters thrive on chaos. If a group of squids are fighting, a blaster can feast by shooting directly into the group and finishing off their enemies. I think of it like a great shot blocker in basketball. You're so concentrated on beating your defender to get to the rim that you don't notice your shot is about to get swatted into the stands.

But that chaos can also be an opportunity to close in on a rapid blaster outside the ideal range.

My suggestion is to spend a few days playing as the rapid blaster. Pay attention to the times you got killed and why. Pay attention to its weaknesses. Those weaknesses are many. It's a flawed and surprisingly difficult weapon to master. Not every weapon is equipped to take it down -- nor is it equipped to take down every weapon.

I'd rather more people learn the ways to take that weapon down (which are easy once you know them) than Nintendo nerfing the thing just because the opposition hasn't figured out how easy it is to counter.
Its always better to improve yourself instead of waiting for the devs to make the game work for you.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Its always better to improve yourself instead of waiting for the devs to make the game work for you.
This, this, this.

And something I should have mentioned before... Not every weapon is great against every other weapon. If that were the goal, there would be one weapon in the game, and all players would use that one weapon. What this game does instead is gives us a bit of a rock, paper, scissors element, and the meta adjusts over time.

Why have people started to pick up jet squelchers and splattershot pros more? Because they take down midrange weapons (like tris and the rapid blaster) with ease.

Why have some taken to short range weapons with fast character movement? Because they can completely neutralize blasters when played correctly.

A meta forms, and the meta adjusts to counter the current meta. That doesn't mean that you (the general "you"), as an individual, will be able to counter every weapon with your weapon of choice. What it means is that, over time, team constructions will be less homogeneous. Your team will have counters to certain weapons even if you, yourself, don't. We're not there yet, but I've noticed more variety in the last couple of weeks.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
To be fair, once you close the distance in on a rapid, don't take too long to kill it. Because a good one can direct you, and then easily combo into more damage. Most rapid blasters I imagine can't do that consistently, but it's a good habit to form.

And if a rapid starts poking you, run. It's going to take 3 shots to kill, so you can run pretty easy from this blaster. And don't go to your left or right, go backwards to where it can't reach you.

As for the tri-Slosher, sure it's pretty overpowered now, but that doesn't mean it's untouchable. Range right now is pretty much the primary answer to getting rid of a tri, but if you don't have that, getting the first hit is pretty huge into beating it. Because this weapon wants you to have a fair fight against it. This weapon can easily start a fight with say, a .52, trade off one shot, and then strafe and shoot to make the opponent miss. With a short range weapon, you just can't afford a fair fight with a tri slosher.

I merely say this because you shouldn't quit playing the game because the devs had an oversight.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
Ofc a good rapid blaster can track you but if you go in you should spike them with as much damage as possible. Sploosh-o-Matic for example is pretty much the big deal.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Honestly, I think most people who think the rapid blaster is overpowered haven't played as one enough, so they only see the results of what a good rapid blaster can do and not how difficult it can be to use. That also probably means they're not aware of its weaknesses, which only further perpetuates this idea of it being overpowered.

I use the rapid blaster more than any other gun, but when I'm using a different gun, I don't fear opposing rapid blasters at all. At least not more than anyone using any other gun.

Even the tri-slosher, while definitely overpowered, I've adjusted to its antics enough that I don't fear the weapon itself. What I fear is the kind of ink armor spamming that occurs when you face a team with a bunch of tri-sloshers and/or NZaps. Could the tri-slosher use some nerfing? Probably but I'm more concerned with nerfing ink armor.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Stay out of the side sloshes range and strafe sideways that way they need more precision to hit you. Ink Armor must be respected treat it as you would a Bubbler, though you can take pot shots if you have more range or a sub to break it, otherwise get out of there! Also remember Sloshers can hit over obstacles so avoid fighting it when it has this advantage.

As for the Rapid Blaster, treat it like a Charger, meaning always be aware of where it is and keep an eye out for opportunitys to get into it's dead zone. Know that it's gonna try to back away to get you back into it's ideal range so try to ink over it's escape route before engaging if you can. Lastly, never move straight towards them, always moves sideways to make it hard for them to direct you.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
For rapid blasters, close the distance. They can't take advantage of splash damage if they haven't zoned you. Without splash damage they're worse close-range shooters.
For tri-sloshers, outrange them, or flank. They're not much different than any other midrange weapon. If you approach when they know you're coming they're going to start hitting you first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom