How do you become a skillful sniper?

Splat Tim

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Nickyrulez
Hi. I introduced myself a while back, but I'll do so again. I'm Splat Tim, (I named myself after the meme), my current rank is an A+ 75 and I'm a level 48. I've seen a couple of players online who are really skillful snipers. They don't even have to splat directly at someone in order to get a kill. How do they become so proficient with chargers?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
If they splat someone without firing right at them, it's usually a sign that somebody's lagging.

Really, the answer to "how do I git gud at chargers?" is the same as any question: practice and experience, lots of both.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, I can think of a few off the top of my head.

First off: motion controls. Learn 'em, learn to love 'em. I find that I simply cannot do anything useful with a charger unless I have them on. This is mostly due to the level of precision needed for the class in general. Being able to pinpoint a target without having to keep fiddling around with the R-Stick to get there is a huge boon for me.

Related to this is your GamePad's sensitivity. A higher sensitivity grants you more control over where you aim, but unless you have super-steady hands (which I don't), it will also get in the way of aiming. I keep mine at -2 for that reason, but you might be able to handle a higher sensitivity... or, perhaps you're even more jittery than I am, in which case toning it down a notch would be a good idea.

One thing I've seen most of the better players do is hide their shot until they're ready to fire. Being that a charger's laser pointer instantly gives them away, the idea is to maintain your secrecy until the very last moment. I personally don't do it myself, but I'll admit it'd probably come in handy.

Speaking of secrecy, you should also take gear abilities into consideration. Ink Recovery Up is one you'll definitely need, as keeping a full ink tank comes in handy for weapons that eat up a considerable amount of ink per shot. Damage Up is another common sight, as it allows you to splat a foe without fully charging your gun. If you're more about keeping stealthy, Cold Blooded drastically reduces the time spent being tracked (from like 11 seconds to 3 seconds, I think). This thread is a good starting point to check what abilities work best with a given weapon.

Now I'm as much of a newb with chargers as the next guy, but I hope this helps somewhat.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
While motion control is actually pretty great to use and such because you can get more accuracy with your aim, it's not necessarily needed. It's highly recommended over using the R-stick, but again you don't have to. I for one hate motion controls and instead have my sensitivity on about...2 I think, when it used to be -.5 I think. I find my aim to be pretty accurate, but of course I can't pull off things chargers with motion control can, but I manage.

Another great tip is that perching to snipe isn't always the best area. You don't have to be high up in order to be helpful. I've seen some of the best ones sniping from the ground and still taking out the team like it was nothing. Just gotta find what works for you I suppose.

And also, try to invest in the scoped chargers. You don't have to if you don't like tunnel vision, but at least give it a try to see how you fair. I used to hate the scopes because I hate tunnel vision, and I wasn't able to see my surroundings. But then I realized that I'm overly cautious anyway. So I switched to the scopes and my aim improved even more. Keep that into consideration as well.

Sonikku

Thirsts for chargers
NNID
SonikkuLuver
Be aware of your surroundings at all times, especially if you're using scope chargers. Never stay in scope mode for too long because you're leaving yourself open to be attacked by other players, including other snipers. And take out opposing snipers when you can; after playing for a while you'll notice some perch spots that are very popular among snipers. Catch them by surprise and splat them before they set up. For ex: On Walley Warehouse the crate before mid is pretty popular with chargers. Hide off to the side and get them from below.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
A good way to practice is to go into the training dummy room and practice snapping awkward shots to the dummies. Try to get it so you can hit every single shot no matter what weird angle its at. If you can't seem to do it try adjusting your motion control sensitivity.

Splat Tim

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Nickyrulez
A good way to practice is to go into the training dummy room and practice snapping awkward shots to the dummies. Try to get it so you can hit every single shot no matter what weird angle its at. If you can't seem to do it try adjusting your motion control sensitivity.
If I were to change my sensitivity, would I make it more or less sensitive?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@Splat Tim

Do you plan to use those with your charger, or for the Aerospray?

If the former, I'd suggest swapping out the jacket for the Sky-Blue Squideye (:clothes_tes003: this one). Same main ability, but the subs are more likely to get Ink Recovery Up, which I must reiterate is essential for chargers. You might not realize it at first, but all those shots are going to add up eventually, and you run out of ink sooner than you'd think. (I've actually considered running some Ink Saver Main for this purpose, but I have yet to test it.)

If the latter, well, I have no experience with the Aerospray (though I've been considering getting the MG for a while now). So I can't personally attest to what abilities work best with it.

LAX

Pro Squid
NNID
ninfanjohn
If they splat someone without firing right at them, it's usually a sign that somebody's lagging.
I think he meant splatting without pointing the laser at them while charging

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom