How do you deal with losing streaks?

Do You Rage A lot sometimes?

• Total voters

Mêłodÿ2841

Inkling
NNID
Elyxandra
Usually, after 3 matches of losing I take a 10 minute break. It helps me calm my inner rage. But what's your way to deal with losing streaks?

SharkDarkness

Inkling
NNID
CJKnightX2
Personally I generally change weapons a lot. I feel this works best when using one particular weapon just doesn't work for you. Such as I might be losing with the Jet Squelcher so I then use a Luna Blaster (normal). A change in range/fire rate/damage output as well as strategy (do I rush or not? Do I cover? Should I focus the objective? etc.) can help a lot.
That's just me though and I didn't mean to ramble on as long as I did so I apologise for that

sammich

Inkling Cadet
it helps to get really angry and scream at the TV.
definitely take it personally, because every match has major implications about you as a player;
but don't neglect shirking most of the blame onto your teammates, most of whom are obviously dirty rank scummers.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
For me, it's "Splatoon and chill" time. Any salt, defeats, other annoyances should be shared and laughed about. This is my downtime afterall. The only things at stake are my ego and pride. Win or lose, I try not to grip either. Just play and enjoy.

Col. Splat

Inkling
NNID
dawarthog
If you feel like you're getting to "intense" take a break from the game and eat some food. Food taste good and it's good for the brain! If you don't get mad like me, then keep playing. The matchmaking system will keep pairing you with bad people if you go on a losing streak until you win. This is why after every match you lose, you should leave and re enter whatever mode you're in. Hope this helps, buddy.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
I am super stubborn, and I will keep playing until I figure out what I am doing wrong. This is generally why I go from S+ to S rank every couple weeks, learning new weapons or something like that. As soon as I fall I generally win every match until I get back to S, but I just have the urge to figure out what I was doing to lose. Usually this helps me, but I do get angry in the process, but I am getting better, realizing that solo ranked is kind of silly, and that rank is only one metric for judging players.

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
I am super stubborn, and I will keep playing until I figure out what I am doing wrong. This is generally why I go from S+ to S rank every couple weeks, learning new weapons or something like that. As soon as I fall I generally win every match until I get back to S, but I just have the urge to figure out what I was doing to lose. Usually this helps me, but I do get angry in the process, but I am getting better, realizing that solo ranked is kind of silly, and that rank is only one metric for judging players.
This is my problem as well. I refuse to stop until I right the ship and get myself back on track, when I know the best course of action is to just step away for a little bit and think rationally about why my performance is suffering. I'll admit to getting salty on a fairly regular basis because I do take my rank seriously, especially because I hate dropping out of S. Playing with people I know does help mitigate the issue though, as I've found out recently.

Coco24

Inkling
Seems we have alot of stubborn people here haha! I played on my sisters account yesterday and lost twice in a row which made me go from A+ to A. I got so mad about it because i couldn't continue against the same team that i just went all out and got back to A+ 70 :). You should just take a break though because my rage was very unhealthy haha!

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
After losing 2 in a row I stop playing ranked and go to turf. Mentally I try to remember what I did wrong those two matches.
I'm a very angry person when comes to games, and sometimes my connection is not good at that time so I stop insisting or I'll just lose more.

CM86

Pro Squid
I used to rage all the time in ranked. I may or may not of threw my wii u game pad on my bed (like slammed it) a couple of times. The good news is I don't do that anymore. In fact, I am relatively calm in ranked now. I usually laugh it off when I lose. I was so competitive that I forgot it was just a game, and that my rank was nothing more then a letter. A letter does not dictate how good you can be. Nowadays, I bounce back and forth from S to A+ rank and could care less. I just enjoy doing the best that I can in ranked. Never really raged much in turf war.

Deathwish

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Keena_Ironweaver
If I'm going out there just to get splatted, I play regular turf wars. Never raged yet, even after ranking down before, but it might be my sense of humor. My squid name is Deathwish, so my goal is simply to play as "Deathwish," whether it be good enough for enemy teams to have a deathwish on me, or to play so poorly while experimenting with different strategies, that it looks like I'm just a noob begging to be splatted. I'm rank S and can be a scary player, but like anyone, I'm not always at the top of my game. When you get splatted or lose, make a note of what happened. Don't just glare at the squid on the splat-cam; look at where they are and think about how they managed to splat you. Maybe you can use their strategy against them or benefit from it in future matches. If you keep losing, there might be something wrong with what you're doing. Sure, I could say that the enemy team might have more talented players or you got an unlucky team and leave it at that, but there must be a reason as to why that is. I've pulled some pathetic teams to victory before, and though it's true you can't always win, even if you're the best player out there, that one little move played right can make the 1-point difference you need to win. There may be flaws in your strategy you're not aware of. For example, if you forget to check your surroundings because you're "too busy," you're acting with little time to think. That leaves you open to surprise attacks and you might miss something important, like where the rainmaker/tower is or how you could have prevented the enemy team from gaining control over a splat zone. Though you feel like you're wasting no time and are giving it your best shot, it's better to be informed and act based on that, than to always react to what's directly in front of you. Perhaps your current mood requires a different set of gear/weapons. (Subconscious mood seems to be a big one. Maybe you're feeling more defensive than aggressive, but you're forcing yourself to play aggressively anyways.) If it helps, watch someone else play through a video. You'll notice them do things you'd do differently, and it's helpful to compare what you/they did right/wrong, and remember to keep doing what you got right(while improving), but change any bad-habits you might have; like dying over a splat zone or rushing in without occasionally looking at the map and scouting for enemies. It's hard not to worry about your rank, but the way I see it, rank's only there to help match you with players around your skill level. Whether you win or lose, there's no shame because everyone has a different amount of experience, and we all have lives outside the game. Even if someone's played less time and has more skill, they may have learned things from other games or experiences that they've implemented to Splatoon. Besides, it can get boring when you always win, so be thankful that you have the opportunity to meet other skilled players and learn from them as they may learn from you.

lone

Inkster Jr.
NNID
loneotaku
Switch Friend Code
SW-1901-5583-6414
Switching from Ranked to Turf for a few matches helps me out. Ranked is high tension, whereas Turf feels more relaxed in comparison.

Joltik

Inkster Jr.
NNID
YellowYoshi13
Recently I lost S, got back to S, lost 7 games in a row (boo splat zones), and am gonna get out of A+ today (I'm A+ 78 atm).

Most of the time (especially in A) you focus on the objective, while the other 3 just seem like they're derping around. I do this, but blaming it on your teammates isn't smart, unless your team gets a 3-4 man wipe and doesn't grab the rainmaker, ride the tower, or take the zone(s).

But probably trying out a different weapon in turf or playing a different game for a bit would work, maybe even waiting for the next rotation.

And play during rotations that you know you would be good at, or a favorite map/mode combo (personally, I love Rainmaker Hammerhead, so I would try to play during that rotation).

NNID
RedVsBlue2002
I take a short break or play privates with friends. Playing with friends beat playing with strangers, especially if you have voice chat

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom