• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How do you get good at a new weapon?

Joltik

Inkster Jr.
NNID
YellowYoshi13
Before the 2.7.0 update, I mainly used the 96 Deco for its damage, and not having to use damage up; this provided more opportunities for swim speed. But with the 2.7.0 update, and the 96 Deco's highest damage being lowered from 62 --> 52, I have become much less fond of it because of the need for damage up.

I understand that there was still defense up in 2.6.0 and before, but at least I didn't need damage up for falloff damage.

Anyway, stuck in my sadness of the damage lowering, I decided to take on the Tentatek, and want to be able to use other weapons as well, such as the Splatterscopes and the Luna Blaster. I know that it will come in time as I continue to learn how to use the weapons correctly, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any other tips/pointers that will help speed up my getting better with the Tentatek, and others from there.

For T-tek (at least to get one weapon down):
Here's my current gear:

Paisley Bandana :ability_inksaversub:, :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_bombrange: Layered Anchor LS :ability_runspeed:, :ability_inkrecovery::ability_damage::ability_damage: :shoes_cfs000::ability_inksaversub:, :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
The gear I want:
Legendary Cap :ability_damage:, :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: :clothes_tel006: :ability_swimspeed:, :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: :shoes_sdl000::ability_runspeed:, :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
All responses are appreciated, and I will use them all to help me get better.

Not Level 50 yet, but I have the samurai hat from the boy amiibo rn to make it work.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Ashmia

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5925-5789-2185
To get better at a new weapon, you gotta practice, and stick with it until you feel more comfortable using it. For me, I would take it to turf wars and only use that weapon. I would also gather some friends, go into private battle, and practice on them in a ranked mode. It took me a while before I brought my E-Liter and Squiffer into ranked battle.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Basically try out Turf War with the Tentatek, then use it on ranked. Thankfully it doesn't have a high skill floor so it shouldn't take too long to use it effectively.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
Yeah as everyone else said, your best bet is to test it out in Turf Wars, although it would help to play competitively, as if you're in Ranked. Interactions with opponents can be very different in Turf Wars as opposed to Ranked, so try to put yourself in a position of engaging with enemies more than you ordinarily would. This can help get you more used to how to react quickly with the weapon, what its weaknesses are and how it can most effectively take enemies out. Once you're moderately comfortable using the weapon, take it for a test run in an actual Ranked match, because you won't know how well you can use it in Ranked until you actually do it (just get to the point where you at least know what you're doing). If you hold your own, stick to Ranked matches and keep fine tuning your skills with it there. If it goes terribly, go back to Turf Wars and keep practicing.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Cosign to what has already been stated.

Also, when Splatfest rolls around, play it as much as you can. Most players turn the fest into a pseudo-ranked turf war. A great atmosphere to pressure test yourself with whatever new weapon you want to eventually take into ranked mode.

And if you're comfortable with being 'net sociable, gather an impromptu group of players or join one. No matter their rank, play turf war and private rank battles with them. They can offer useful feedback and needed encouragement rather than just having to only rely on self-assessment while solo.

Akamia

Inkling
NNID
TurnaboutAkamia
You get good at a new weapon the same way you got good at the ones you already use; practice, like the others said.

This is a general rule of thumb for any game, really. Wanna be good at Mega Man games? Practice. Wanna learn a new character in Super Smash Bros.? Practice. Want to be a crack shot with a Sniper Rifle in any applicable FPS game? Practice. Practice is the name of the game.

I know I've reiterated what others have already said at this point, but yeah, it's pretty much exactly that simple.

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
Lol, that seems more like a set for the vanilla. Of course, use what you want, but I'd personally add some run speed. And, as said above, practice.

splooshlover

Inkster Jr.
I can tell right away if a weapon is going to work for me. If it just doesn't feel right the first time, chances are I won't become great with it no matter how much I practice. Plus, the game is supposed to be fun, and struggling to learn new weapons is not fun for me. I admire people who have mastered every weapon class, but I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never be one of those people.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Humans learn via repetititon. Want to learn a new weapon? ONE HUNDRED TURF MATCHES FOR YOU! And that number is not an exaggeration.

Gamertara

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gamertara
Humans learn via repetititon. Want to learn a new weapon? ONE HUNDRED TURF MATCHES FOR YOU! And that number is not an exaggeration.
^ This. Absolutely this! And try not to get too salty. The first 50 matches might suck. The next 25 you might get decent. The final 25, you might "get good". Also, if you do get salty or frustrated, take a break. Go back to using the weapon you're the most comfortable with. Don't dig yourself into a whole. You'll be fine. Before you know it, you'll be back in the game, better than ever with a clear head.

Joltik

Inkster Jr.
NNID
YellowYoshi13
Thanks for all the feedback! I've read them all and am thankful for everyone's advice!

I've changed my "wanted gear" set to have more damage up and less run/swim speed. If there's a better way to work it out please let me know my pm or just responding in this thread ;)

Supposedly Rockenberg doesn't like me :( I can only get 0-1 run speed subs :/ Wish me luck with that Baseball LS

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Best way to get good at a new weapon is to think about what makes it unique or what it does really well, and then abuse the heck out of that aspect.

(eg: ttek has good accuracy and kills very reliably so you can jump to avoid shots and just go in, blaster shoots around corners so you can set up "frame traps" very easily or just shoot from behind corners)

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
In some ways, it can help to play a 'harder' version of the weapon you want to learn. In the case of the Tentatek, you could try the Splash-o or L3 - very different weapons but ultimately shooters of comparable range. You may not become proficient at those other weapons but, for want of a better description, it can make your original weapon feel a lot more usable in comparison.
Best way to get good at a new weapon is to think about what makes it unique or what it does really well, and then abuse the heck out of that aspect.
I'd like to stamp this with "BUCKET-APPROVED". Less so the Tris, but definitely the Sloshers and SMs have numerous things that no other weapon (other than, in a sense, Dynamos) have. They have some of the worst TTKs in the game but are, for example, fantastic at attacking perched enemies, doing which will often be just the thing that your team needs if none of the others are able to deal with, say, an E-Litre who keeps thwarting pushes.

pooplooser

Full Squid
I would get rid of the ink saver sub (not as useful as something else) in place of more swim speed or ink recovery up.
Then I would make a new account to play in the lower ranks.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
That's it, no questions! To add, I try to play at least 5 times each stage on each mode to understand where and where not to step on. This is helping me a lot.

Laxus_Air

Inkling
NNID
lLifeAmazesJay
For the TTK/Octo/Wasabi my build is..

Stealth goggles: :ability_swimspeed: subs::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed:
Parka::ability_runspeed:subs::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
Ink resistance shoes: :ability_inkresistance: subs: either Triple :ability_swimspeed: or triple :ability_runspeed: if it's rainmaker

I don't generally use sub saver or any type of ink saver for these weapons and I've never had ink problems. It's more about your movement. Take the weapon into some turf war games to get a feel for it and from there squad with some friends (if you're concerned about your rank dropping) and get a feel for it in that setting. Mindlessly playing in turf war is just to test the waters on if you actually like the weapon but ranked is generally where I've made my decisions.

HTLNBLNG

Inkling
NNID
GalaxyFight11
thankfully the tentatek is super easy to learn. play a lot of single player mode and you'll get the hang of it (it's about the same gun) get gear that emphasizes mobility. perfect gear requires patience and sea snails, so don't get discouraged.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
As others have said, practice, but Turf Wars really arent much help for playing in Ranked. A lot of weapons that slay in Ranked are pretty garbage in Turf Wars.
And you don't want to drag your team mates down in your current rank by using a weapon you aren't good with.
So make an alt. This is a very good idea for figuring out new weapons.
When you started out, you didn't play S Rank matches. You weren't an S Rank player. It stands to reason that switching up your playstyle with a new weapon puts you down at least a couple letter ranks. I like to use my B Rank alt to practice new weapons. It doesn't drag them down and I also don't completely dominate. I gauge my skill with unfamiliar weapons at about the level of a B Rank player. If I start racking up a lot of points consistently, I may give it a shot in S Rank.

This is what I did most recently with Zink Mini, and now it is a top 5 weapon for me.

I can tell right away if a weapon is going to work for me. If it just doesn't feel right the first time, chances are I won't become great with it no matter how much I practice.
I can understand this to an extent, but I kind of disagree. I have seen my playstyle undergo several fundamental evolutions over the months, and have been drawn to weapons which previously felt impossible to use. I mentioned the Zink Mini above; that's the biggest example for me. I love it. I used to wonder how anyone could ever use it.

At the same time, I agree with you for a few other weapons. Inkbrushes and Bamboozlers I don't see myself enjoying anytime soon, but never say never I guess.

Joltik

Inkster Jr.
NNID
YellowYoshi13
Thanks for everyone's responses. All of them have also helped me to expand toward others too, like the rollers and squiffers, and I'm working on splatterscopes slowly. Thanks all for the encouragement.

@birdiebee i really like your advice on this, especially since I have multiple weapons I want to try (as listed above):
As others have said, practice, but Turf Wars really arent much help for playing in Ranked. A lot of weapons that slay in Ranked are pretty garbage in Turf Wars.
And you don't want to drag your team mates down in your current rank by using a weapon you aren't good with.
So make an alt. This is a very good idea for figuring out new weapons.
When you started out, you didn't play S Rank matches. You weren't an S Rank player. It stands to reason that switching up your playstyle with a new weapon puts you down at least a couple letter ranks. I like to use my B Rank alt to practice new weapons. It doesn't drag them down and I also don't completely dominate. I gauge my skill with unfamiliar weapons at about the level of a B Rank player. If I start racking up a lot of points consistently, I may give it a shot in S Rank.

This is what I did most recently with Zink Mini, and now it is a top 5 weapon for me.
My only problem with that right now is that I don't have a suitable alt to practice on right now, but I think it's close to rank battle (I think it's level 6 :/ )
And I appreciate a contradictory suggestion to the majority, just because i like a little difference (lol)

Again, thanks to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom