How do you guys get better at aiming?

Deepsink

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5185-1960-7222
I just feel like i can hardly hit even half of my shots, i wanna main squiffer so bad but i just miss sooo much, i do the aim drills and all of that and it just doesnt help

Press

Inkling
I wrote more about this here (https://squidboards.com/threads/fin...-scientific-anecdotal-data.42966/#post-291538) but to reiterate the important stuff that doesn't just concern the proper settings/mentality:

The targets in the lobby are bad for aim training!
  • They are mostly static targets in fixed locations, and even the moving targets move in a completely predictable speed and direction.
  • Doing aiming routines vs. them will only practice one thing: Hitting those specific targets. No real player will stand perfectly still in the same positions those target dummies are.
  • The lobby targets are therefore only good for warming up, and to practice the proper spacing and (re-)learning projectile speeds.
Remember: The best aim is consistent, not flashy!

So what to do instead?
  • The best practice comes from playing real matches, against real people. Go into an Open match, or find a group of people on SendouQ for this specific purpose, and just practice by looking for fights.
  • If you want a dedicated aim trainer for Splatoon and don't want to mess with setting up gyro controls in Aim Labs or whatever, you can try Vespher's free game, Squid Aimer: https://vespher.itch.io/squid-aimer
And to add to this: Don't forget that aim is also movement; try to counter-strafe enemies, for example, to make aiming easier for you and harder for them!

Deepsink

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5185-1960-7222
I wrote more about this here (https://squidboards.com/threads/finding-the-perfect-sensitivity-–-using-scientific-anecdotal-data.42966/#post-291538) but to reiterate the important stuff that doesn't just concern the proper settings/mentality:

And to add to this: Don't forget that aim is also movement; try to counter-strafe enemies, for example, to make aiming easier for you and harder for them!
tysm! I honestly used to have really good and flashy aim but its kinda just dissapeared so ill try to get it back!

☆Brody☆

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-4277-5054-4618
I also wanted to play squiffer but was really bad at aiming but I just started playing the weapon a lot and over time I just started getting better at it.

Umbreonfan

Semi-Pro Squid
Same want to play chargers but I miss a lot and aim drills don't help either.

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
one thing that i think helps my aim personally is to try to be consciously thinking about the direction you think the enemy will move. it's a lot harder to track someone if you're acting purely on visuals; try to think about where the enemy wants to be and pre-aim in the place they want to be. this is more helpful for stuff like shooters (it's the main way i got good at dualies) but maybe it's helpful for chargers too!

bohneevair

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
they/any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2620-8406-4327
Besides what others have mentioned, you might appreciate Lai's charger guides. Even if they don't help, their sniping compilations are super fun to watch lol.

Possible tip, take w/ a grain of salt because my aim is pretty bad too: Try to slow down your reactions. It's better to take a second to ready your shot than it is to shoot immediately and miss.

Retro_Wolf

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3631-4982-0610
Something I found recently is Squid Aimer. (Basically somebody made aim labs for splatoon) It's better than the dummies! When trying this out I also found out that you can actually connect the switch pro controller to a computer! (If you have steam. It's really easy to just use a cord and plug it in to your computer, but ik pretty sure there is a wireless method too)

Also during battle, even mid fight you can stop shooting and move/swim and retake aim before continuing. Although I have trouble putting it into practice myself.

Astro Dwarf

Inkling
I think when it comes to chargers, it's just a different foreign type of aim that takes much longer to learn than other weapons. But once you learn it, you won't lose it. As long as you are mentally focused during aim drills and being intentional to learn it, you'll get there. I think it took me over a month of practice to feel comfortable when I first started playing chargers

Shayreep

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1285-8726-3991
Seconding using Squid Aimer. You can use bluetooth to connect your pro controller to your computer

Pineapple Death Match

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-4487-0366-3601
honestly thank the lord for this tread, fellow person with complete garbo aim here (squiffer looks so fun but I can't hit the broad side of a barn 🤧 🤧 🤧 ) I'll be taking a lot of this advice with me going forwards :)

An idea I had as well was to ask a friend (or patient and friendly stranger) to head into recon w/ me and let me practice my aim with them moving/dodging around, and vice versa so we both practice aiming and schmovement while being aimed at 🤔

RubberCF

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2041-7487-3622
id watch through this whole thing, even if you dont use the weapons mentioned in certain parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom