How do you like to play?

Devicho

Inkling
NNID
Devicho
I feel my play style is dependent on how I'm feeling and what mode, really. I've been trying to use a wider variety of weapons as of late in order to be able to adapt better, and just to keep things fresh. I also try to be adaptive so that I don't become an easy target, and so I can try to cover for teammates that do things I wouldn't expect normally.

In Turf War I'll use almost anything but chargers, and in general focus on inking turf than combat, but will go in for the kill of a clear opportunity presents itself, or if I feel I need to help out a teammate. I guess I'm somewhat more defensive? Some of my favorite weapons to use here are the Rollers in general, Octobrush, Splattershot Jr., and sometimes Aerospray RG. Again, though, I'll use almost anything once.

The same kind of carries over to Splat Zones, though I have not played it enough to find a consistent way that I do things. In Tower Control, though, I'm rarely anything but a sniper. I generally use the Kelp Splatterscope here because I feel I'm better at support than combat, so I can just keep knocking opponents off the tower and opening up opportunities for my teammates, while using the Killer Wail and Sprinkler to help protect them.

If I'm having a streak of bad luck with teammates that won't capture the tower, I'll generally swap weapons for a bit, mostly using the Splattershot Jr. for the Bubbler so that I can push the tower myself.

As far as gear goes, I honestly care more about the aesthetics, so my gear is pretty much what I think looks cool. I swap it around sometimes as well.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I like to play smart by not playing aggressive.
Playing aggressively does not mean you're not play smart. You can play aggressively and pull out when you need to. For example, I play aggressively and rush down and overhwlem people with my blaster. However, I pull back when there is something like a charger or too many people.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Well, when you do give them another shot, here are a few tips from a squidiot who decided they weren't for him:
1) Jump 'N' Shoot. This will help with their slow movement while firing, meaning you don't have to get wrecked when you miss by a bit.
2) If you're using the regular Blaster, Disruptors are awesometastic. The usefulness of being able to slow enemies down so you can one-shot them is hard to overstate, it pretty much makes this weapon. Killer Wails are nice too, if you can aim them well (I don't think I've ever hit anything with them, but that's just my crappy aim).
3) For the Custom Blaster, get lots of Bubblers, you pretty much need them with this weapon since you don't have Disruptors for easy one-shots. You should play more ambushy while building it and run away if you're spotted, but once you have it you can rush to the enemy, pop Bubbler and wreck anyone who can't keep you away.
4) For the Range Blaster, SPLASH WALL IS CRITICAL TO YOUR SUCCESS, USE IT EVERY TIME YOU THINK YOU SEE AN ENEMY OR THINK A CHARGER'S AIMING AT YOU. Also, run away before pulling out the Inkstrike; you don't want to get splatted while you're deciding on a good spot to drop your veritable maelstrom of ink.
5) For the Luna Blaster, get good at getting close, because you have very little range. Ink Mines are good for keeping areas inked in your color a little longer (and splatting the unwary), but otherwise not that great. Inkzooka is beyond awesome for this weapon, you can pull it out to stomp Chargers or destroy enemies just outside of Blastering range.
6) For the Rapid Blaster, use Damage Ups, they make this thing usable. The Ink Mine tip above applies here, and the Bubbler makes this a decent choice since you can guarantee your survival for a brief period with it. Finally, stay at midrange, you really don't want to get close with this Blaster.
7) For the Rapid Blaster Deco, use Suction Bombs. Lots of 'em. And consider Special Charge Up, for getting more frequent Suction Bomb Rushes.
Of those, I'd recommend the regular Blaster for getting used to how they work, the Range Blaster if you prefer to play defensively, and Luna Blaster if you want to attack aggressively.
Your accuracy decreases when you jump, however, the bullets tend to only got right from what I've seen, so just keep that in mind

Remember to use ink saver sub!

Range blaster kind of sucks so far, it has a way higher ttk than other shooters. Damage ups don't save it, unfortunately. However, the usefulness could go up if the meta eventually evolves into pick weapons coming into the equation, but I doubt that, considering high ttk, regenerating health, and slowish movement speed with the range blaster.
Thank you both.
I will try it, once we get Private Battles and I am in a Blasting mood. :P

I used to mostly play Turf Wars but now I prefer Ranked. Somehow it seems more even where in Turf I seem to always be on teams with godly players who stomp everyone or vice versa.
I feel ya. It can really be discouraging and potentially destroys the fun.
Japanese Snipers + Camp Triggerfish = the bane of me and my WII U Pad.

I respect people if they are good.
But when matched up with people, with them god-like skills, I often feel like busting a vein. >_<

I don't find playing against the Dynamo Roller fun so I tend to leave a lobby quickly if I see one (on my team or the other one). One time today 3 people in the lobby had Dynamo Rollers :(
IMO japanese Snipers are even worse. But that is just me.
And I won't even try playing anymore, when Camp Triggerfish is in the rotation AND a lot of japanese players are around.

Good thing private matches are coming. So I won't be matched up like this anymore.

Again, I can respect good people.
But I don't wanna play with them, if they constantly one-shot me, if I do something as much as move a muscle.
It's not fun!

Mayana

Full Squid
NNID
wolfxdog
I prefer to play Turf Wars or Tower Control if I'm feeling particularly competitive. I'm mostly in it for the fun. Excited to get some new levels, because turf wars has been getting a little : ( without much reward.
Love using different weapons but prefer to stick to the Aerosprays because I'm just basic like that. ; P Like to put down a lot of ink for my team, I'm not great at aiming so fast rates of fire work better for me personally. I'll go for anybody who gets in my way though, if I know I can beat 'em fair and square.
Mostly casual style of play, really, but I do get grumpy when I lose!

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
I been mainly using the .gal weapons lately. I really like to cover my base as much as I can. It make it easier to run away when you are outnumbered. There are sometimes when I feel like getting a lot of kills and then there are times which I rather play back seat and throw around some ink walls and kill wail to protect my teammates.

Hesoca

Full Squid
Depends on the game mode, honestly.

With Turf Wars, I tend to play fairly aggressively - running to whatever space isn't covered, taking it and whatever poor souls happen to be in the way, and moving on to the next space. Granted, I'm not the best shot in the world, and the lack of any real offensive presence on the turf-covering guns like the Aerospray means that deaths happen more often than I like, but I feel as though I do fairly well in remaining at an even or positive kill count.

Tower Control I play sort of the same way, running into the fray around the tower and launching myself at my opponents (I main Krak-On and occasionally Carbon, so being fairly close to whoever is around the tower is unfortunately a necessity). I will jump on the tower if no one's around, though I don't prefer to be the one riding it if I can help it.

With Splat Zones, on the other hand, I play almost completely the opposite, constantly defending whatever the closest zone is from whoever tries to take it, but not pushing forward as hard as the rest. Like I said before, I'm not the best shot, so playing support while the other members of my team are busy grabbing the second zone or locking down the first is my best niche.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I prefer to play Turf Wars or Tower Control if I'm feeling particularly competitive. I'm mostly in it for the fun. Excited to get some new levels, because turf wars has been getting a little : ( without much reward.
Love using different weapons but prefer to stick to the Aerosprays because I'm just basic like that. ; P Like to put down a lot of ink for my team, I'm not great at aiming so fast rates of fire work better for me personally. I'll go for anybody who gets in my way though, if I know I can beat 'em fair and square.
Mostly casual style of play, really, but I do get grumpy when I lose!
Sounds like you and me would get along well. : 3

I am not so hard on losing.
But if too much "BS" happens to me, is when I get grumpy myself.

EIther way, I can relate to that. So no worries. <:

buildz

Inkling
NNID
jBuildz17
Quite casual for me. I like to usually play a mix of defence and offense. I only get salty when someone on my team ISN'T PULLING THEIR WEIGHT.

It's always the guy with the best weapon that always ends up being the one who contributed the least on any team I might be on.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I only get salty when someone on my team ISN'T PULLING THEIR WEIGHT.
Yeah, I agree with you on that.

My playstyle is usually oriented around grabbing turf and throwing bombs as much as possible. I consider both Splash-O-Matics ideal for this because they have good subs and specials in addition to their fast and precise shots. The original is very good because it has Suction bombs that I can chuck at areas to divert foes and a Bomb Rush to pull off massive turf grabs or keep enemies on their toes. The Neo version, meanwhile, lets me mark foes quickly with Burst Bombs to drive them away if not splat them, and the included Inkzooka works like a charger without the windup time so that I can cut off adversaries and splat them when they least expect it. Overall, as long as I have good backup in my teammates this playstyle will let me go far in Turf Wars!

IrisZ

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
My playstyle really revolves around going in/getting kills. A lot of people would have hated me at launch because that's all I ever did, but I feel like I genuinely play that way. :s

Nowadays I use any paintbrush that catches my eye that day. Before brushes were a thing, I used the Splattershot Jr.

Somehow I actually dislike any Aerospray *G. Something about it feels stiff and I don't like it at all. I love mobility!

Since I play brushes nowadays, I usually get a fair amount of kills and secure spots on the map for my teammates. I also get killed a lot too which my teammates probably notice. I should work on that >.<

Luddoj

Inkling
I used to play the over agressive, careless, no-strategy or plan whatsoever playstyle. That was the main reason I was stuck at C- and getting frustrated more than enjoying the game or having fun.
That's until I picked up the Splattershot Pro. Since the thing makes you move slow, it forces you to check your surroundings and since it wastes so much ink, it forces you to choose carefully where exactly you want to shoot, and make every single shot count. Although I still like to play agressively and go for kills instead of painting, I now take alternate routes, I've discovered that hiding and waiting patiently has its benefits, and I have managed to get to Rank A- in just a few hours.

I still need to learn how to use my sub-weapons effectively, since I pretty much throw a Splat Bomb each and every time I have my tank full, and that some times leaves me vulnerable without ink while on a sudden 1-on-1 battle.

For controls, I go with the motion controls, since I have tried to use both sticks and failed misreable due to poor accuracy and my camera moving all over the place and never where I'm actually trying to point. I like to play while seated, but when things get intense or I start raging I tend to stand-up and stay like that, as if standing up and screaming at my screen will suddenly make me and my team play better (Although sometimes it has worked)

And for gear, I usually just go for style over abilities. I love the Sporty Bobble Hat, I have upgraded it to have 3 sub slots, and though its abilities arent the best, it really works for me. Same for the rest of my gear. I hope some day they will find a way to separate the esthetics from the capabilities and powers of gear. It really bothers me to think that, in order to even have a chance at beating Pro Players with OP Gear I will have to look like an ugly bag full of things that don't match.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I'm a busy little bee when I play. I'm always headed somewhere to put ink down, unless we have a lock on an area and somebody needs to stay behind to defend it, in which case I'll do that.

With the new 21-50 levelling system, winning will be more important than inking every possible bit of territory, so I think defence will become more important and eventually I'll shift to that kind of play rather than scurrying around trying to be everywhere.

polysaw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
laffysapphy
in turf wars i like to use the splattershot jr (the bubbler is really good for avoiding enemies) and the normal splattershot (its easier to splat people with its range and im great with burst bombs). as a general rule i like to stay as far away from the enemy team as i can so that i can rack up more points without the fear of being splatted, but this might change once the update hits, since the whole leveling up system is supposedly gonna change.

for splat zones i tend to play defensively and usually ill use the carbon roller or octobrush to ambush people depending on the stage (usually octobrush if blackbelly skatepark is in rotation). the problem is im not that great at taking back the zone so sometimes i will stop playing ranked altogether when splat zones is in rotation. still trying to find an offensive weapon thatll help me take back the zones.

tower control is easily my favorite mode and ill almost always use carbon roller. its quick, it makes it easy to take the tower, and the burst bombs and inkzooka give it some range when i need it. i tend to be on the tower so i need to play defensively a lot, but im pretty good at playing offensively when im not on the tower too.

im trying to expand my weapon choices because my current choices leave me little wiggle room. i almost always lose on ranked moray towers if the other team has a strong e liter, since my ranked mains are so close range. ive tried the e liter scope myself with some success but it doesnt quite fit my play style. the squelchers usually do pretty well for me, and so do the gals on certain stages. i dont really like blasters but i think on one occasion i tried out the rapid blaster and actually did ok with it, but that may have been because of my team. i wanted to be a dynamo main when i first saw it but ive never been very successful with it so i think ill stick to the carbon roller for the most part.

gear wise, i like having ink saver subs because i tend to use burst bombs a lot. i also like using swim speed (i have a vest with 4 swim speeds on it), and some strength and defense. strength mainly so that i can splat someone by bumping into them with the carbon roller and throwing a single burst bomb in their vicinity. its not a super common circumstance, but its comforting knowing that i could defend myself relatively easily if i accidentally bump into an enemy player.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Wow. I feel so inspired.
Thank you all. ^.^

Personally, since I am only playing Turf Wars, I focus on painting whatever I can.
As much as humanly possible.
I like to play things safe. But when time is of the essence, I tend to do some gutsy things.

I only go for kills, if I can see a chance of winning.
But if I deem it too risky, I won't try and do the good ol' Joestar Technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom