How do you stay positive after losing so many games?

SyMag373

Inkster Jr.
Long story short, I suck at this game. Real bad. Like I constantly somehow snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and always go on a losing streak a mile long. My win/loss ratio is almost always negative, despite somehow faking it enough to get into S+ every season.

So my question/plea for advice is, how do you combat any negative feelings that show themselves when you're not playing well?

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
here is something to think about
while playing, sometimes we might lose a little focus and mess up. if we stay unfocused and continue messing up, we are going to get upset which will just make us more unfocused which will cause us to make more mistakes and then get more upset and that viscous cycle continues. this is what causes losing streaks. and not being focused can also make us blame things that weren’t the actual reasons for us messing up. all of this does one huge thing, stopping us from learning. if we aren’t learning, we aren’t improving, which will make it harder and harder to win consistently. the main thing it takes to be good at this game is focus. focusing lets us actually learn and improve at the game, and instead of getting upset at our mistakes we get smarter. and no, it is not going to be possible for everyone to never get upset at the game and lose focus, that is incredibly unrealistic. but it can happen a lot less often if we really think and focus on the game. if we are losing focus consistently, just taking a moment to slow down and think can help, and that moment can be however long it needs to be. and when that moment is over, it may be easier to get back to the game and focus. if the goal is to just have fun, it is super easy to not get upset, you don’t need to focus or care about winning or losing. but if the goal is to improve and win at the game, focusing and learning is going to matter a lot more.
idk this is just what i noticed playing the game for almost 900 hours and constantly getting down on myself for not playing as good as i think i should be. instead of realizing what i was doing wrong or what the enemy was doing right, i was just thinking “im playing so bad” instead of focusing and learning from what was really going on.
hopefully this can help out a bit

reelrollsweat

Semi-Pro Squid
something that really helped w/ preventing loss streaks for me is take a break after i lose 3 times in a row. its especially helpful for series/x so you dont tank a whole bunch of points by tilt queueing

you dont necessarily have to turn the game off either, its just good to assess how you feel after the 3 losses. did you just happen to lose those 3 games and still feel like youre playing well? or have you been playing poorly and are starting to tilt queue? or are you just having an off day with that particular weapon and would play better on something else? etc. recognizing tilt signs early is really important, often times you arent even "playing bad" and are just going into individual games with a bad mindset which causes you to lose more

DinkyDine

Full Squid
Pronouns
he/him
You could even just get someone else to point out where you're going wrong if you can't see it

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Also, if you don't feel like you're actually S+ level and that's why you're doing poorly (because you get to s+ and then are paired with people above your skill level) you can always rank reset.

Both times i rank reset i felt a lot better and became less stressed because I was winning more games instead of losing most of them. One of the times I didn't get back to the rank I reset from, which means I wasn't actually skilled enough for that rank yet and if I hadn't reset i would have just kept losing.

Even if you do feel you're s+ level it's still a nice break from losing

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom