how does the x match point system work?

Show-

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2689-4289-3970
i lost a series 2-3 and lost 50 but i lost a 0-3 series and lost 75 i dont understand how i didnt deserve to lose minimum 100 points. If this is the new update to how the system works this is awful.

Reecey Boi

Inkster Jr.
Below 2500 XP
3-0: +75, 3-1: +50, 3-2: +25, 2-3: -25, 1-3 -50, 0-3 -25

Note that you can gain or lose more than the minimum depending on the powers of the opponents you faced

The points change at 2500-2999 and 3000+ XP too, idk the number though

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glicko_rating_system

Whole lotta complicated math, but the basic concept is as follows:
  • Rather than using only one rating value, you have two variables representing a median and a confidence interval, meaning that your true rating could lie anywhere within a range. (Actually, Glicko-2 introduces a third factor, volatility, but I'm going to handwave that one away because it's too complicated and not really important to understand the gist of how this works)
  • As in most rating systems, it goes up when you win and down when you lose. You gain more points for beating players ranked higher than you, or you'll lose more for losing to players ranked lower than you.
  • The confidence interval narrows whenever the result is expected, meaning that the higher rated player won. Converse, it widens whenever there's an upset, the lower rated player won.
  • Your rating will charge faster when the confidence interval is large, until the system figures out where you truly belong and can pin down that confidence interval. You will also be affected less when your opponent's confidence interval is large, because if their true rating is unknown then it's not meaningful data to you.
Now, there are a few things to note about Splatoon's implementation:
  • Your confidence interval is not shown, nor are your opponents' ratings. So you're not given enough data to be able to run these formulas yourself and verify how much a match should be worth. It's a black box we can't peer into, we just know it's based on Glicko-2.
  • Glicko-2 was designed for 1v1 games. There are a few different ways it can be extended to teams, by comparing to the average of your opponents, or by treating it as four different matches against each opponent. Could also be factoring in your teammates' ratings, or not. We don't know what Nintendo's implementation does here.
  • Rating is only updated after a best-of-5 set, and they've clamped it with minimum point gain/loss values based on the set count. A recent patch also made these minimums much larger. This is actually super problematic, because they're messing with a tried-and-true mathematical formula in ways that defies the correct results it would spit out. If you keep getting matched with players above you, going 2-3 could potentially come out as a net positive, but you will always lose points even if you shouldn't. The reverse is true if you keep going 3-2 against opponents rated lower than you as well, farming free points you may not have rightfully earned. Really this just ends up meaning that matchmaking luck plays a much bigger role, overriding how the system is supposed to properly account for differences in rating. I really hate that they've done this, when you have a good system like Glicko-2 do not break it with your homebrew.

Show-

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2689-4289-3970
yeah it felt crazy off, i have no idea if my x power is anywhere near my actual skill level anymore

emon

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4681-6511-6715
So basically your point gain and losses are based off your win to loss ratio along with your current x power.

Comodo_

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7399-7078-2008
Fun fact for you guys since the main question has already been answered;

X battle "placements" don't actually reset your rank, they just take your previous rank and temporarily increase the volatility :D

Reactions: Joy

Joy

Data Nerd
Premium
NNID
joythegreat
So basically your point gain and losses are based off your win to loss ratio along with your current x power.
Sort of. If it’s being done correctly (we don’t know their actual implementation for calculating updates but we can guess) it takes the XP of all players in the match as well as who won and calculates the new XP. It does this for every match in the series, and clamps the values based on the delta minimums at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom