• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How have the new weapon types changed your/the game

Glen W

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DeadbirdBlack
I know its really early days yet and im yet to even try the new weapon types (Bucket & MiniGun) but as expected online is full of them at the moment, i was wondering how people are finding these weapons and more importantly how we are coping against them.

Personally when i'm coming up against a minigun on the opponents team i have had little or no issue with them i can normal move away or splat them before they get a chance, it looks like it has a strong learning curve, I normally tackle them with the short range quick firing weapons an moving around corners a lot, ive had high success in throwing suction bombs behind them and watch as they step back as they wind up to shoot because they know they can out range me and them stepping into my trap

The bucket weapon has been more challenging to deal with due to the good range and power with a decent fire range to, i have enjoying battling the bucket welding squids there a threat but not overpowered i found quick sneaky movements work or using a weapon to easily out range them helped alot.

One thing that has been a pain least in turf wars is the amount of ink strikes :S.

All my above experience was in turf wars i only had a spare hour or two to dabble in the new update, things are probably very different in the other modes.

Crazy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AjninYzarc
I know its really early days yet and im yet to even try the new weapon types (Bucket & MiniGun) but as expected online is full of them at the moment, i was wondering how people are finding these weapons and more importantly how we are coping against them.

Personally when i'm coming up against a minigun on the opponents team i have had little or no issue with them i can normal move away or splat them before they get a chance, it looks like it has a strong learning curve, I normally tackle them with the short range quick firing weapons an moving around corners a lot, ive had high success in throwing suction bombs behind them and watch as they step back as they wind up to shoot because they know they can out range me and them stepping into my trap

The bucket weapon has been more challenging to deal with due to the good range and power with a decent fire range to, i have enjoying battling the bucket welding squids there a threat but not overpowered i found quick sneaky movements work or using a weapon to easily out range them helped alot.

One thing that has been a pain least in turf wars is the amount of ink strikes :S.

All my above experience was in turf wars i only had a spare hour or two to dabble in the new update, things are probably very different in the other modes.

I played yesterday and noticed a ton of Inkstrikes happening all over the place, its crazy now.....

Ars Nova

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
creed32
Switch Friend Code
SW-5634-9921-9888
I love the bucket so much it became my main now. I personally love the diversity these new weapon types have brought to the game.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
I've seen a lot of gatling guns in ranked. They have a lot of range so I usually steer clear unless they are distracted.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
In turf wars, a lot of splatlings rev up their miniguns in corners/alleyways and try to get cheese kills. A lot of the times my team falls for it and dies. I hope they learn that they shouldn't challenge a revved up splatling.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
The new weapons change the game by giving players new weapons and playstyles to try out and, if they like it, use more often. I remember an example of this from a couple months back when the Inkbrush was released, a completely different weapon from anything that had been in the game to that point (except maybe Rollers, but there are significant differences). Lots of people used the brush, including myself, and some stuck with it and learned to use its unique traits and loadout effectively (not including myself; it just wasn't my style, I went back to the .52 Gal Deco back then). They didn't change my game much, I kind of approach them like I do Rollers (I don't, I stay back to smash them) and check corners for ambushers more often. It didn't cause a radical shift in the metagame, or if it did I didn't notice (which is possible), but they definitely had an impact, since their speed was up until that point unprecedented and their mobility was and still is quite useful for reaching objectives or important areas quickly.
As for the new weapons, I approached enemy Splatlings and Sloshers the way I approach enemy Shooters and Blasters at first, trying to keep from getting shot while hitting them (generally did better on the second part than the first), and I still approach Sloshers that way. Splatlings, however, are a weird Shooter/Charger hybrid type of thing, and must be approached like a Charger at times when they stand at a perch and rain down ink on you and your teammates (or just turf), which I do by trying to get close by any means necessary (when I use a Roller/Octobrush, though Inkbrushes and Shooters with short range should probably do this as well), try to shoot them down before they get me (which is possible, since it's a multi-hit splat, though a quick one; I only do this with the Tentatek or Heavy Splatling, though it could also work with a Slosher or Splattershot Pro or just about any Shooter with decent range) or just avoid them entirely while trying to get somewhere. These weapons probably aren't going to upend the metagame, but they're certainly going to be fun to play around. Also, the Splatling can make a good replacement for a Charger, though it's not a 1:1 comparison (and you could have a Splatling and a Charger, since they're pretty different, I'm just saying ).
As for changing how I play, I've picked up the Heavy Splatling. I like it since it's versatile, with its range and high fire rate allowing it to splat enemies up close or from afar, though the wind-up time can be problematic. The Slosher is also nice, a good mid-range weapon with decent long-range capabilities with Burst Bombs and occasional Inkstrikes, but I don't love using it like I do the Splatling. My overall playstyle hasn't changed much, I still love playing offense, but I'm a bit more patient since picking up the Splatling. Mostly because I have to be with the Splatling until it's been wound up, admittedly, but I'm noticing it when I switch to other weapons too.
Also, yeah. So many Inkstrikes. That gets kind of annoying at times, but at least they're not Inkzookas.

In turf wars, a lot of splatlings rev up their miniguns in corners/alleyways and try to get cheese kills. A lot of the times my team falls for it and dies. I hope they learn that they shouldn't challenge a revved up splatling.
I haven't seen this yet. Kind of surprised by that, it seems like such an obvious strategy. I've been seeing most Splatlings just rev up and charge into the fray, which is fairly effective, but not the best strategy (at least not all the time).
And don't worry about your teammates too much, they'll probably learn. Unless you get teamed up with new players, in which case that will be their learning experience (hopelessly).

I love the bucket so much it became my main now. I personally love the diversity these new weapon types have brought to the game.
I like that too, mate! Can't wait to see what the inevitable other types of Slosher and Splatling bring to Splatoon when they drop!

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
The minigun is easily my main thing now. Holy heck, that thing can muster some serious defense; I can hold entire areas for long periods with that thing. It's easily the weapon I'm best with already. It's also hilarious.

Downside: It's stuck with.... the Inkstrike. I cannot express enough disgust and dislike for that awful special. I hate it. Specifically, I hate USING it. I dont give a damn if the enemy team uses it... there is no easier to dodge attack in the entire game, and the mess it leaves can be cleaned up in about 3 seconds.

I'd LOVE a version of the minigun that had.... absolutely any other damn special. It's SO bad I usually wont fire it unless a Turf War match is about to end. Time spent firing an Ink Strike is time I could spend doing something useful.

But it DOES have the Splash Wall, which is amazing. But I'd happily sacrifice that if it meant getting rid of Inkstrike. I wish they'd stop sticking that damn thing on EVERY FREAKING GUN.

I'm going to want to come up with a specific set of equipment for this gun; mostly, removal of all special-based abilities from equipment, replacing them with.... anything. Stuff that makes the Wall less costly would be nice.

Last edited:

telite2

Inkling
NNID
chocolatedino
The bucket is a lot more dangerous than I expected it to be honestly. Haven't seen as many Gatling Gun users, but after testing it I could see it being a good weapon in the right hands. Even if you don't fully charge you can get enough shots to splat someone

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
The bucket is a lot more dangerous than I expected it to be honestly. Haven't seen as many Gatling Gun users, but after testing it I could see it being a good weapon in the right hands. Even if you don't fully charge you can get enough shots to splat someone
Yeah, I havent seen to many people using the gatling gun either. I think many players might find that it has a bit of a learning curve to it, which might be part of the reason. The bucket looks alot easier to just pick up and start using decently.

Annie

Inkling
NNID
N1ntendude
The slosher has a major advantage to the Carbon Roller in a fight, and with all these Slosher's running around, I've had to retire mine. Went back to the .52 Gal Deco.

Also really sick of the near constant Inkstrikes.

Right Whale

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Ciano365
I'm really enjoying the Splatling as of now. It's just so powerful and long range. The slosher is pretty good too, though I find it's damage a tad bit under powered IMO. I feel like the Splatling should have the Inkzooks, just seems more fitting for it. That's all I have to say.

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
I do think the bucket changes the game by compromising the utility of some mid-range guns. But that effect is lessening, as they're not swarming like they initially were. I even broke out my Splattershot Pro again. You have got to kill those buckets though, and play agressively. Otherwise you'll be facing 10 inkstrikes per round. I do wonder what I'd do if I had to face 3 bucket teams again though. Never got comfortable with that, just learned to hang tough.

I don't think the gatling gun changes the game.

Downside: It's stuck with.... the Inkstrike. I cannot express enough disgust and dislike for that awful special. I hate it. Specifically, I hate USING it. I dont give a damn if the enemy team uses it... there is no easier to dodge attack in the entire game, and the mess it leaves can be cleaned up in about 3 seconds.
This post proves that everyone has their own way of doing things!
I love em. There's an art to inkstrikes. Either kill snipers with them (like on the Moray Towers perch, I get them all the time), clear a path forward (squid forward through it as soon as it hits, they never expect it and can't see you), or ink lesser traveled or pain the A areas to waste opponent's time. But yes, if you hammer the flat area 10 feet in front of spawn, they're useless. You just make it easier for the lesser players on their team to charge specials.

Anatole

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Anatole-Ostara
I do think the bucket changes the game by compromising the utility of some mid-range guns. But that effect is lessening, as they're not swarming like they initially were. I even broke out my Splattershot Pro again. You have got to kill those buckets though, and play agressively. Otherwise you'll be facing 10 inkstrikes per round. I do wonder what I'd do if I had to face 3 bucket teams again though. Never got comfortable with that, just learned to hang tough.

I don't think the gatling gun changes the game.

I love em. There's an art to inkstrikes. Either kill snipers with them (like on the Moray Towers perch, I get them all the time), clear a path forward (squid forward through it as soon as it hits, they never expect it and can't see you), or ink lesser traveled or pain the A areas to waste opponent's time. But yes, if you hammer the flat area 10 feet in front of spawn, they're useless. You just make it easier for the lesser players on their team to charge specials.
Yeah, inkstrikes do have an art on using them. Its not made for just throwing it around carelessly, it`s great on tower control if you want to secure the way to the enemy area by throwing it where the tower is going or to recover the tower, and it can be a turning point in zones. For turf war it`s a little more tricky, but worthy on the last second.

As for the weapons, I do think they changed the meta a lot. The Gatling gun together with some of the maps alteration (there`s way more obstacles in some maps now) change the game for snipers, they have decent range and are a little bit easier to use then the chargers, and can make several kills in a single charge, wich is not easy for snipers. Also, the bucket I believe change the game for snipers as well, some areas that were previously safe for camping are now in the range os the buckets, since it can throw ink over things. The bucket is a really balanced weapon, kind of a threat for anyone unaware. And the heavy splating is really great for defensive players, it can prevent entire teams from moving forward with its cover and splash walls. But that being said, I don`t think any of them is over powered or something, just good aditions that balanced the game even more

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I have to say that Sloshers are just as big a threat as Chargers when I'm wielding my Splash-O-Matic and bigger when I have the Heavy Splatling. Not only can the basic one splat in around two shots, but the arc physics allow them to splat foes more reliably from above or below; as far as I can tell I have a pretty difficult time aiming straight up or down with any other weapon type except maybe Rollers. Thus, I've started to keep my distance from them so that they can't flush me easily, going so far as to use my sub-weapons when I see someone ready to approach. I should also start finding ways to catch them from behind as well so that they can't ink up areas too quickly.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I am hoping for the love of all that is holy these Ink Strikes die down. The popularity of these two weapons combined with the older ink strike weapons is crazy atm. And the new Ink Strike spread to me is kinda OP....and I rarely call stuff OP.

I am going to wait and see...but for me its not the weapons that I find annoying, its the new special usages

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
I've definitely heard the arguement about using it to kill snipers, but my problem with it: Against a sniper that's paying attention (of course, many players arent, which at least makes it hilarious), it wont kill them. Absolutely wont. It'll merely DISPLACE them. And not by very much; you dont have to move that far to avoid the inkstrike. Why will it only displace instead of kill? As I"d said in the Dead Sea thread, it's the slowest and easiest to dodge attack in the game, and the game basically screams at you about it's exact location and timing WAY before it hits. It doesnt hit a player that's actually paying attention. It simply doesnt. I get them fired at me alot, particularly now that I'm using the minigun, and.... I just consider it to be free points and meter charge. I simply dont get hit by that, as my two biggest strengths are paying attention to about a billionty things at once, and my reaction speed. Not to mention that they cannot see through their own blast; often when one of those hits, it means an opponent is going to then approach, because I cant see them. With weapons that ARENT the minigun (which requires a different tactic because of it's charge time), this is the PERFECT time for an ambush, which for some damn silly reason is something I'm good at. Reposition to some awkward spot while they cant see me, and then just wait. It's like clockwork. Hilarious, wonky clockwork that makes odd "sproing!" noises.

But the other huge reason is the Killer Wail. It can provide just as much displacement of parked opponents as the Inkstrike (or the killing of those that arent paying attention, which is still hilarious), but it takes less time to fire, has infinite horizontal range (wheras the vertical range of the Strike means nothing), is bloody AMAZING for clearing corridors or long bridges, and can be seen through. If a teammate fires one close to you? You can go stand in it and fire from there, attacking nearby opponents or inking an area while completely protected from rollers or brush users for the time that the blast goes for. It certainly aint perfect, I think it still needs some improvements, but it just outdoes the Strike so much. It doesnt lay ink down, sure, but the Strike's amount of ink is minimal and tends to just not affect very much. Many weapons, when fired normally, can paint the same size area just as fast.

But yeah, you're right, everyone has their own ways of doing things, and I think that's one of the game's biggest strengths. It really does that very, very well. I do think there's some genuine balance issues at times, but not nearly as much as some other games I can think of, and there's just so much versatility in most cases. I love it.

I just wish that alot of players had a different way of doing things than just using rollers over and over again, sigh.... Be nice if I'd stop crashing into them, too.

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
Well, the lesser skilled players need to feel welcome and keep coming back. So we give them rollers :)

As for your ink strike sidestep... I like to plunge through to the forward extent of my own inkstrike. They don't expect this. So take the Warehouse for instance: I will plunge past midfield all the way to the next box/container, turn around, wait a sec, pop up, and shoot guys in the back. So that coin has 2 sides! Tactical possibilities are rich, if you think about it.

I've never used the wail. On my to-do list...

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
I haven't play the gatling that much. I love the slosher on TC. I can get people in corner and I get a lot with kill with the burst bombs.

subata

Full Squid
NNID
cyradius
Diversity in everything but specials, of course. seriously though, everyone be ink striking so much that sometimes two people on opossite teams ink strike at the same time at the same spot

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, with the Heavy Splatling becoming my main weapon thanks to it's versatility (and allowing me to use a Gatling-like weapon without fear of Spies), I'm learning to force enemies to "play my game". Basically, if they want to get up close and personal I just shoot at them from afar (or just shoot them); and if they want to stay far away I bombard them with an Inkstrike or keep them at bay from a defensive position. That said, I still don't like the Splash Wall as throwing one means I'm basically limited to one charge worth of combat.

Also, the trick with Inkstrikes is making them land behind the enemy; if they see the circle, they'll most likely dodge it. If they hear an Inkstike coming their way, but can't see the marker, they're more likely to panic or not know which way to run ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom