How important are gear abilities to YOU? Do you prefer fashion or abilities?

Fashion or abilities?

• Total voters

Charlight

Meme Spy
I focus on abilities but there's no way you're making me wear that gas mask.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Gotta vote abilities. Lol, Although, the gear I do have looks pretty fresh. I'd rather have a good gear load out that appeals to my playstyle and weapon, than look like the freshest inkling in Inkopolis. :]

SleuthMechanism

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SleuthMechanism
Fashion. I've just got to be stylin'. Not satisfying to do something if it isn't done in style.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I compromise, trying to look both, usually dropping an ability for freshness.I just wish there was a way to fuse gear's looks to another's abilities. It would be hard to predict what abilities someone is wearing with fusing, but hey, you look fresh.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
I go as far as looking at which gear fall under having X ability as a main, pick the one I want, hope I have it, and hope I get lucky on rerolls.
Unfortunately one of my favorite shirts, the Vintage Purple Check, has a pretty weak ability.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
The skate helmet with special saver and quick respawn is quite nice I think, and doesn't look too bad, and the bike helmet with quick respawn and ink recovery is also nice, though looks horrible.

ShellShock

Inkling
NNID
DaShellShock
In my opinion, abillities are more important; however, I do care about the way I look as well.

AP3

Inkling
NNID
HoneycmbHideout
For a minute I was focused on abilities, but now I found a great outfit to match my main (splatterscope), while at the same time finding the special abilities very useful to match the weapon.

Red Letterman Jacket (Damage Up) , Goggles (Bomb Range), Red Chucks (Ink Resistance)

Wonderf

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Wonderf
I tend to prioritize "freshness" over abilities.
Anyway, this is my thought process;
First I decide on what ability corresponds the best with my play-style/ weapon. After that I try to pick the rest of outfit to match the the gear with the one ability I wanted. Then I play Splatoon.

Drluigi

Inkling
NNID
Drluigi1337
I prefer abilities. I could have the most mismatched outfit ever, but as long as I have the stats I like, then I'm perfectly fine. Disregard my avatar, that's the gear I used to wear. Now, I use the white headband with Ink Recovery Up, the Anchor Tee with Ninja Squid, and the Armor Boot Replicas with Ink Saver Main.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I use the white headband with Ink Recovery Up, the Anchor Tee with Ninja Squid, and the Armor Boot Replicas with Ink Saver Main.
That actually doesn't look that bad, to be honest.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I'm vain; looks matter to me just as much as abilities. What's the point in having a good setup if my looks aren't to my liking? Most of the gear has abilities I want but the look is disgusting. This is why I wish Nintendo would let us transfer abilities to other gear. Until then, I primarily going to stick with my Octoling armor, Studio Headphones, and Hero Runner Replicas.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
As what most people said in this thread, a bit of both. I try to use clothes that have good abilities that synergies with the weapon I'm currently using, but while still looking fairly fresh.

I'm pretty happy with the set clothes I currently for my custom jet squelcher which is this:

:head_hdp000:
:clothes_tly007:
:shoes_sht002:

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Abilities for sure, only when playing turf war or squad battles as rank S I go for cool sets. Everyday I try to recombine my sets to use prettier equips but unfortunately it's not possible.

Most of the time I do look terrible, I remember before 2.0 update tons of player using that damn Jungle Hat.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Fashion.

Might as well play along with the dress-up mechanic. Make 'em wear whatever. Which encourages me to mix & match abilities. Wind up trying various abilities & loadouts in a variety of combinations and circumstances.

Plan to knab "ALL THE GEARS!" and upgrade all to three subs. But I don't think I'll bother rerolling to get 3-4 in-a-row.

Min-maxing tends to bore me. I try to steer myself from that. Else the game collects dust.

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
I like striking a balance between abilities and the look.

For example, the last time time I played, I was wearing the Squid Girl Hat and Tunic with the Mawcasins. This gave me:
:ability_openinggambit::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_specialcharge:
:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_runspeed::ability_damage:
:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
This set complements my play style; rushing head on at the start of the fight, and outmaneuvering the players on the other team. I've also worn the Squid Girl gear with the Blue Slip-Ons, giving me :ability_bombrange::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:, which works nicely for quick maneuvers.

However, I don't depend on the abilities at all. They provide a nice edge, but what matters is the players' skill and luck.

I always try to look good, it's my first priority. But if a look doesn't mesh ability wise, I'll swap something out. That's what happened with the Squid Girl shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom