How long are you planning on using Squidboards?

How long are you going to use Squidboards for?

• Total voters

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
The activity boon of Squidboards has been another case of how important social media is nowadays tbh
We shall begin a crusade against the evil X, and we will march on to a less toxic future *battle hymn of the republic begins playing*

Retro_Wolf

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3631-4982-0610
I was not here before when it was active. When I got here it seemed pretty dead. But I think it would be cool to really revive this place and as long as it stays active I will probably be here

1O7JR

Inkster Jr.
I would love it if this site became the place for the Splatoon community and its happenings. Probably the weakest component of the site atm (for me, at least) is its lack of a more coherent space for the artistic side of the community, which I believe is just as large as the competitive side. I say this as an artist who would use Twitter over the forums when it comes to finding and following Splatoon artists and related creative endeavors. If more activity related to that came over here, then I'd have no need to use Twitter at all! But as I understand it it may not be a priority, along with other sites potentially being better for something like that.

Then the problem becomes, what other sites are there to even find that stuff on. SquidBoards probably can't encompass the entirety of the community, so it's a pretty big expectation. I'll support whatever artists do find themselves on here, regardless, and I'll stick around for as long as I can. What would make me stop using the site is if there was nothing at all relevant to my interests, and, well...

Anyways did you know I like Splattershot Juniors? /s

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
It's gonna take work to make this place worth using but its worth the effort and has a lot of potential now that people are looking at it again

Mr.Mudkip

Inkling
I'm already adapted to using sites like this as I've been a Smogon user for a greater portion of my life, so contributing and keeping it active seems nice. Personally I think this style of posting is much easier to digest than a Discord conversation or whatever the **** people try to do on Twitter, and I'm not a fan of Reddit's mobile app or the subreddit itself. If anything I think we can just have some people organize a few projects like I've seen over at Smogon, heres some ideas I've had:
  1. Weapon Spotlights
  2. Tournament Recaps
  3. general weapon info collections
This is not something I might have the time for but if anyone's willing you can certainly go ahead with these weekly.

strings

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-7616-8885-7288
I don't do Twitter or Reddit - so I only really interact with the splatoon community via Discord. Having squidboards too is nice! I'll be around so long as ppl are active on it

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
It's gonna take work to make this place worth using but its worth the effort and has a lot of potential now that people are looking at it again
I think the suggestions thread has already had a lot of good ideas and now the team here has a reason to update instead of just maintain the site as-is on a skeleton crew so I would definitly expect improvent withen a few weeks

Pineapple Death Match

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-4487-0366-3601
I deeply miss forum-era internet and I have a habit of finding niche nooks and crannies on the internet to tunnel into (anyone remember/use pillowfort? cohost perhaps?) although I tend to get sucked back into spending most of my internet time on "bigger" sites like Tumblr and Discord as I don't tend to post often enough to make friends on those smaller platforms (and therefore have reasons to keep checking back) which kinda becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy among other users, leading to the site or forum's death by inactivity.

The advantage a centralized, fandom-sized forum has over a centralized, fandom-sized discord server is that because conversations are both long winded (which I appreciate as a long winded ADHD-head) and are more "spread out" across several threads - I don't get sensory overload seeing 155 messages for 7 different conversations pop up at once in #general - IMO that's kinda the inherent problem with Discord as a platform; once servers reach a certain size they become completely unusable. Also, as others have noted, the ease of archiving/searching - the fandom historian in me will likely take quite a few deep dives into the archives to see what this fandom was like near its inception.

I imagine like my other special interests my "splatoon phase" will die down and I'll put more focus and energy on whatever's next in the rotation, inevitably leading to ebbs and flows of activity here, but it's been a solid month and I'm not running out of steam so who knows haha.

Bits

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2573-6331-5817
This is FAR better than twitter aside from a couple of bad eggs that should be banned imo, I'll be here for awhile

Egomouse

Full Squid
NNID
Egomouse
Switch Friend Code
SW-1058-0470-2243
Depends on how active it keeps going (hoping for longer than a few months).

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
i've been having a great time using it, hoping we can keep up interesting conversations for a long long time

Lilac0

Inkster Jr.
You've really hit the nail on the head here, I hate discord for types of discussions. I used to play several browser based games and quit them when alliances started moving en masse to discord- we had a clear division between the chatting space (IRC) and the discussion space (Forums)

Kamakira

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1123-4705-2722
fully expecting activity to die down after the first week back or so but as long as the site remains active enough i plan on sticking around. it's nice to have a dedicated hub site for the community rather than being in like 50 discord servers and trying to figure out what we're currently mad about via breadcrumb trails of twitter posts

Bits

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2573-6331-5817
fully expecting activity to die down after the first week back or so but as long as the site remains active enough i plan on sticking around. it's nice to have a dedicated hub site for the community rather than being in like 50 discord servers and trying to figure out what we're currently mad about via breadcrumb trails of twitter posts
You already baited me I'm not off to a good start here

Oliy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OliyTheCreepr
Switch Friend Code
SW-0716-3261-4135
I hope it keeps getting used for tournaments since it's such a nice database location, and a lot of my ideas/posts I make on other platforms would honestly fit better on a forum. Idk how I'll integrate stuff between here and Twitter but as long as people are here I'll probably keep checking in and posting

SnowySprig

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0314-4656-5125
the guides feature this site has is really invaluable, especially compared to the other options we have currently, so i cant see myself stopping anytime soon (so please make guides! i know i will!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom