How much customization should there be

Newtonjar

Senior Squid
So I have been seeing lots of threads asking for, hair customization, pants and an assortment of other customizable features and I have been wondering to myself, how much customization should there be in splatoon? I think this argument has two main camps with people agreeing with either to a certain degree.

On one side the arguement I think the argument is that there should be tons of customization with varying degrees of pants options and hair and color options, and if you want to take it a step further have it so that you don'the have to have abilities control what you where rather have something else for abilities.

The other side is for keeping customization to a minimum like it is right now. I think this comes down to wanting splatoon to have a recognizable mascot to kinda give splatoon some sort of identity.

Now of course like anything there are tons of variations with these views and you can agree with parts of both camps. So what do you think about customization in splatoon?

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The other side is for keeping customization to a minimum like it is right now. I think this comes down to wanting splatoon to have a recognizable mascot to kinda give splatoon some sort of identity.
I'm pretty sure that anything shaped like a squid works ;)

On topic, I think the customization is fine as it is. If you have too much then players can feel a bit overwhelmed by it. If anything, maybe having hair styles or gears that look exactly the same but have different main abilities would be nice to have (I don't mean similar gear, where one's blue and the other green; I mean 100% equal)

Wonderf

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Wonderf
So I have been seeing lots of threads asking for, hair customization, pants and an assortment of other customizable features and I have been wondering to myself, how much customization should there be in splatoon? I think this argument has two main camps with people agreeing with either to a certain degree.

On one side the arguement I think the argument is that there should be tons of customization with varying degrees of pants options and hair and color options, and if you want to take it a step further have it so that you don'the have to have abilities control what you where rather have something else for abilities.

Now of course like anything there are tons of variations with these views and you can agree with parts of both camps. So what do you think about customization in splatoon?
I think customization is good as it is, nice and simple. Like what @LMG said, having too much is a bit overwhelming. I think hair styles and etc. so just be an art thing, which helps us be creative, individualistic and grow as a community.

TACarbuncle

Inkling Commander
NNID
TACarbuncle
Things are good right now. Maybe add an option to change the Main abilities of gear, but for a ton of credits/multiple sea snails, if only so you can wear something you actually like the look of. As for hairstyles, I love the idea, but don't see it happening yet. The best we may get is....Wigs. I mean come on, how can they not add in Callie or Marie hairstyle wigs at some point? XD

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
The developers stated in an interview that they limited customization to an extent to have the IP establish its identity. Since it likely has done so as of now, the only thing really in the way of expanded customization is the occupation of development time. Since these Inklings are our avatars, at least for players that like customizing characters (which there are a lot of), extending the customization would appeal a great amount. Additional hairstyles would take some work to adapt to the headgear, but it'd help make players' avatars feel more unique, even if at least 3 more hairstyles were added. For pants, I'd personally at least be happy with just one pair of cosmetic-only pants in the same design style as the shorts; black with a colored stripe, at least for this game. Implementation likely wouldn't be hard with how a few tens of gear were developed for the update with ease.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
Just gimme octolings by Squidmas. I don't care about hair clipping, IP identity (they're frickin' squid kids!) or a male octoling model. I need playable octolings.

Wonderf

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Wonderf
Just gimme octolings by Squidmas. I don't care about hair clipping, IP identity (they're frickin' squid kids!) or a male octoling model. I need playable octolings.
So you just like the gameplay element pretty much, because it wouldn't make that much sense to just make octolings playable, I think the octolings equipment is good enough for me, I think most players can express their individualism with the gear.

Luka

Inkling
NNID
Kittari
I like the Octoling Armor because I get to (somewhat) bare my midriff. Can we get more stuff like that, please? Also, more dresses. The Squid Girl Tunic is the only dress in the game, like how the School Uniform is the only way to have a skirt.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'd like it if you could wear something like fake contacts but for shirts so you can equip the placeholder swimsuit, that'd be cool. I'd preferer if they kept pants as-is, non-customizable. I'm fine with the occassional exception(Like Squid Girl).

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I wish you could combine gear for a price, so that you kept the look of one item while all the stat info from the other.

Hyper Librarian

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ErazDod
I'd like to be able to swap Main Abilities between gear, that way you could put together an outfit that you like cosmetically that also has the Main Abilities that you like. But that would probably end up with people swapping Ninja Squid to Krak-On branded gear for that Swim Speed brand bonus

Luka

Inkling
NNID
Kittari
I'd like to be able to swap Main Abilities between gear, that way you could put together an outfit that you like cosmetically that also has the Main Abilities that you like. But that would probably end up with people swapping Ninja Squid to Krak-On branded gear for that Swim Speed brand bonus
To keep things balanced, what if swapping out Main Abilities could only be done on gear that had 1 sub ability unlocked at most, and that the swap-out nullified Brand Bonuses?

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
I like the Octoling Armor because I get to (somewhat) bare my midriff. Can we get more stuff like that, please? Also, more dresses. The Squid Girl Tunic is the only dress in the game, like how the School Uniform is the only way to have a skirt.
YES I NEED CROP TOPS YES YES YES!!!!!

Hyper Librarian

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ErazDod
That would work, they could also do it so that swapping a main ability would remove 2 sub abilities, and allow you to choose which one you want to keep.
To keep things balanced, what if swapping out Main Abilities could only be done on gear that had 1 sub ability unlocked at most, and that the swap-out nullified Brand Bonuses?

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing more "hair" styles, or just more clothing in general. lol

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
I'd like it if you could wear something like fake contacts but for shirts so you can equip the placeholder swimsuit, that'd be cool. I'd preferer if they kept pants as-is, non-customizable. I'm fine with the occassional exception(Like Squid Girl).
I don't understand. I understand not caring about pants, but... Why do you WANT pants to NOT be customizable? Wouldn't it be easier to make just one pair of pants that is purely cosmetic so more people can be happy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom