How often do you check the gamepad?

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
As already stated I most often check after being splatted. I get a good look at the situation of the game, ink spread, player locations, and enemies if using recon. I decide if I can super jump safely. I also look for beacons.

In active play I find it harder to look, I'm focused on the objective..The best players will use it to their advantage, to catch a flank.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Not enough. The time it takes just to check the map on the gamepad is not that long but in a fast paced game like this its just so inconvenient. Plus, with with motion controls turned on its disorienting when you look back to the TV screen. All of this wouldn't be an issue if there was a minimap on the main TV screen at a corner and it baffles me why it already isn't there. Right now the map is not very considerate of the player's needs especially since communication is so limited in Splatoon. We need something to let us be ware of our surroundings.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
You mean like moving the camera around?
Looking at the gamepad constantly js going to be a requirement for competitive play, so youre gonna have to get good at it. Which will be hard if there is a physical limitation in the way like headaches and eyestrain from changing focus repeatedly. Pro players in the future are going to have to have necks and eyes of steel, or else everyone will end up like M2K with his physical injuries.

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
Umm, at the end of every game?
But seriously though, since I use beacons so much I have to keep an eye on them or else they can easily be destroyed. It'd probably be more useful to check right after someone on your own team has been splatted.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Looking at the gamepad constantly js going to be a requirement for competitive play, so youre gonna have to get good at it. Which will be hard if there is a physical limitation in the way like headaches and eyestrain from changing focus repeatedly. Pro players in the future are going to have to have necks and eyes of steel, or else everyone will end up like M2K with his physical injuries.
Good grief you take this **** seriously...

I use the gamepad when I'm in an area that has an opening behind me. It's a very strategic location except for the fact that people can sneak up behind me in that passage. So I occasionally look down to see if that passage is getting inked with enemy ink.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
Generally I check the game pad when the match starts to see where each opponent is heading, and then I generally check it when I'm sure about heading into a certain area or if I can't find any bad guys. Honestly I should check it more than I do, there's been many times where paying attention to it could have spared me a splatting.

HarmonyX

Inkling
NNID
Harmonyflame
While I mostly agree about it basically being a requirement for high level competitive play, I definitely believe this play-style's grievances can be helped by basically finding a comfortable playing position. I can say at a point i was starting to get migraines while playing due to constantly refocusing, so i decided to increase my sensitivity to 2.5+. I also began sitting forward in a chair (elbows rested on legs) while playing instead of more reclined. I find now that i'm not only more comfortable and accurate sitting like that, but that i can also quickly glance down at the gamepad with little head or neck motion making it a lot easier to focus between both displays.

Shalnark

Full Squid
I always stand up when I play so maybe that makes checking the gamepad physically easier for me.

SSBDeku

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0699-9824-9866
When I am dead or when it slows down.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
You mean like moving the camera around?
I don't mean the immediate surroundings. I mean to see who on the opposition is advancing and who on my team needs support or which areas still need to be covered. Right now the map is the only way to do that because you can see both teams' ink being laid down on the map. It just needs to be in a better position for a generally fast paced game.

DeeWee UNub

Full Squid
NNID
HOPE_Glimmer
"How often do you check the gamepad?" Well,never,because I've been playing the whole time with a broken gamepad screen. I never had a reason to replace the screen,but now because of this game,I finally ordered a replacement lcd screen. I guess I'm sorry to all my teammates for putting them at a disadvantage,but you can still play good without looking at it. I guess I'll be able to tell the difference once the replacement screen arrives.

Sky

Inkling
NNID
skyzong
I check based on my play style. If I'm playing supportive then I usually stay in base and check the gamepad for anybody trying to get in. If I'm playing aggressive I usually approach without looking at the gamepad to avoid the risk of getting splatted off screen.
Pretty much this.

At first I rarely ever looked at my gamepad, but I've grown accustomed to it now. It's really good at letting me know if any of the zones are being pushed and give me a general location of the enemy.

Cheezey Bites

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Koske1
I check the gamepad several times per minute to see if an enemy is trying to flank or has beacons set up in troubling places. When I play ranked, I'm usually the only one of my team to notice these things, so I would like to know how many other people check their gamepads.
I've got a mirror peaked cap so I can check every 5 seconds or so, unless I'm getting attacked.

You start to notice how laggy it is this way though...

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
I check the gamepad when I die to alert my squad of there positions based on where ink is being covered. .

superhiero

Inkster Jr.
NNID
eRonin
I normally play on a monitor very close to me (less than a metre) and I position the gamepad just below the monitor, making it quite easy to look between the two of them. I usually glance at it to see how the ink movement is progressing, maybe every 10 seconds. I definitely stop to look at least for a second at the gamepad before I make any superjump, so I can see that movement of the enemy ink. Today I decided to play on a TV ~2 metres away from me and maaan it's so much more difficult. I felt like I was disadvantaging myself, so I think I'll either keep playing on my monitor or sit much closer to the TV.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Since I have Recon, I sometimes Super Jump to spawn to be sure on what's going on, though I tend to forget to check the map once I'm in the field. Occasionally that leads to my downfall, but I guess that's just something I need to work on.

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
I find it kind of cool yet strange that, if you're patient enough, you can watch where the ink is growing to guess where the enemy is. It feels like UAV for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom