How should I deal with teams that just don't get it...?

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
The problem is some people get WAY too obsessed with specials and basically its 3 vs 4 alot of times. An inkstrike is great, but its really not hard AT ALL to recover that zone if you have the numbers. If your building up inkstrike or w/e while we have the lead, great. I myself will adventure and try to be a nusiance if we are winning. But if we are losing get your little squid butt over here.

at 46minute in this video, is what I am talking about. Love Zack, but he is the reason his team lost. In the begining, he plays smart, then he just becomes a Wail Addict for no reason.
He is literally the person I would hate to play with. The crazy thing is he has a high fire rate weapon so if he was helping inking enemy ink he would have even more specials. He did seem to be able to handle himself in 1v1 and get a decent K/D ratio.

I spam "come on" so hard when I see someone special spamming and we aren't already in the lead by a significant amount.

Bippzy

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-7508-4027-9894
Thanks for all the replies! I've been busy for a bit so I haven't had the time to check back. Phew!

Well, I understand your feels dude. I've adjusted my play to better fit the situation at hand. Just looking at your example, you're playing wrong yourself already. Your team isn't near you to back you up, and you enter a 4v1 situation.

Granted, if they were there, it'd be easier for sure! But you can't rely on them, they're RNG. As a mediocre speed-runner for this game, I can confirm RNG can sometimes just screw you over.

However, in ranked matches, generally if you're good enough you could hold the center stage yourself. There are usually ~3 ways your enemy inklings can come at you from. Your goal is to use your ink to travel back and forth between them and just wall them out by killing them, or using bombs, etc. to generally be a jerk. As a wise man once said, "Winners are jerks."

In that situation, your best bet is to try and farm for a special and then come in with the back up of your special. Usually helps, and if you have like a killer wail, follow the killer wail path and kill anyone you pass by.

There are interesting movement things you can do, like shoot, squid, shoot to make it harder for your opponent and thus easier for you to win the battle. To try and practice fastest ways to areas and such, press 'Y' I believe on the match select screen and you can "Scout" the stages. So that helps!

My friend 'Koan', an A+ 99 player who's very inclined in finding tricks and sneaky things, is making a series. Right now it's for Walleye Warehouse, but soon there will be more. He also streams on Twitch.TV.

I know it seems like I'm just pushing him, and in a way I am. But only because he's put in a lot of work, and by watching and analyzing his thought process, I've improved a lot. Because now even I'm A+ 99! My aim was good, but the way I approached the game was completely wrong. And some tricky things he did helped me get that slight edge. So give him a shot.

I implore you to use weapons like Splattershot to get a good understanding of the game. If you main a roller it's fine, but it's kind've a gimmicky weapon and you'll end up losing to those who can play around it. (AKA Those who know the game.) I see a lot of people just try and cheese with Krak-On and stuff. Just... no. lol

Good situational awareness, ink coverage, and movement can not only escape/avoid Krak-On, you can also probably kill him when he pops into Inkling again.
I feel I should respond to a few things in here.

First things first, I'm not running into 1v4s. What my picture was meant to show is generally that my teammates are almost always exclusively away from the control zone and never use specials or come to help. I can get a special off and take out a few enemies, and that's when I'll try to get some work done at the control zone. I know the picture isn't a good example, I guess I wanted to convey that I'm the one who has to deal with everything while my teammates don't try or hide or whatever else they do.

I use a lot of the strategies you mention. I'm not new to games like this and teammates not wanting to try, haha. I guess it's more confusing to me this time around because Splatoon is not complex. I mean, it can be as with anything else, but when it comes down to it the goal is supposed to be simple enough for anyone to understand. I picked up the game very quickly and generally do the best on my team. This kind of game comes naturally to me.

I know the maps well enough to understand how they are and what ways to utilize the surroundings to my advantage, and I do go into Recon mods to see if I can learn anything new now at then.

When it comes to wepons, I used the Splattershot very early but have since moved on to the Aerospray RG (but pretty much only in Turf War), the Splash/Sploosh-O-Matic, and occasionally the N-Zap '85. I'm generally not a fan of Rollers, Blasters or Chargers as they don't fit how I like to play the game.

Anyway! I do appreciate your answer and I'm doing some research through videos and stuff to see if there are any things I'm missing. I'll check out what you told me about as well as the other videos mentioned in the thread.

Again, sorry if I made my initial image not so clear. I did kind of give it the 1v4 feel, but I'm experienced enough in team based games not be that one guy who runs out and dies over and over, haha.

I've gotten better at carrying a bit. I don't die to stupid mistakes nearly as often and I'm very rarely caught out of position. I just need to get my teammates moving, otherwise we lose 100-0 because no one tries to capture the zone (I'm not going to fight the entire team without my special to help) since while I can get *some* things done, carrying a team still involves my teammates at least being somewhat aware that they're playing and the goal.

Bippzy

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-7508-4027-9894
This is the saddest picture I've seen, in a long time.
Please explain.

As I said before, it's more of a representation of my teammates. I'm not running in headfirst to the control zone. I've made that point very clear multiple times in this thread.

I was trying to show that the enemy has constant control of the zone a lot of the time. It's either I try and do *something* to stall or I watch them win 100-0, because my teammates are off doing nothing for the majority of the game. They don't use specials, they hang in base, or they camp one spot that doesn't even give us a chance to take control.

Also unrelated to the quoted post, I've e been getting a lot of criticism on my own playstyle, but that's not what I'm asking for. Maybe the image gave the wrong idea about how I play the game, as I'm not the type of player to charge into a 1v4 situation. My teammates avoid the control zone and don't contribute in any way, that's the point.

Bippzy

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-7508-4027-9894
I'm talking about, where your team is. It's sad, really.
Ah, okay, phew! XD

Yeah, they've been worse than that recently as well. It seems like if we're losing, about half of the time they just give up and spam ZR and flop around in a spot together and wait out the loss. It's been a trend lately in my games, ranked or not.

Oatsy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaOtmel
I don't think you're giving your teammates enough credit. Perhaps I'm just over analyzing it, but I've noticed in the A lobbies I'm in if some idiot runs in some random corner of the map painting everything but the zone it's likely they're trying to build up their special (inkstrike probably.) The inkstrikes take up almost all the zone making it very helpful. Still if they don't come to the zone after then they are just off doing their own thing which sucks for you.
In my experience, it's rarely a good option to ink random turf with the sole focus of charging special. Oftentimes, it's best to go off to the random corner simply to loop back around and flank. (You usually build up like 75% of your special anyway.)

Bippzy

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-7508-4027-9894
In my experience, it's rarely a good option to ink random turf with the sole focus of charging special. Oftentimes, it's best to go off to the random corner simply to loop back around and flank. (You usually build up like 75% of your special anyway.)
Exactly! When I go off inking, it's generally because there's a corridor that loops around, letting me have an opportunity to both use my special AND catch the enemy team off guard. Usually only one or the other happens, but if both happen... Oh boy, that's the best. Coming around a corner with a Killer Wail that no one expects. Mmph. Golden.

Some people will just go off inking a corner of the map that has no purpose, and stay in that isolated area to protect their inked spot like a mother grizzly bear, haha.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
My rule of thumb for teams and lobbies like that is, play in the same lobby until you lose. That way if you have a competent team that you'd like to play with again you hit yes when it asks if you want to keep going and maybe you'll get at least one the memebers of the team that you won with. And if that game doesn't go well and you lose terribly, you can just play in a different lobby.

Bippzy

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-7508-4027-9894
My rule of thumb for teams and lobbies like that is, play in the same lobby until you lose. That way if you have a competent team that you'd like to play with again you hit yes when it asks if you want to keep going and maybe you'll get at least one the memebers of the team that you won with. And if that game doesn't go well and you lose terribly, you can just play in a different lobby.
I've been doing that a lot. Got me back up to a B-, which is still bleh, but hey... I managed to gain one of my past ranks back, haha.

Nair

Full Squid
NNID
Goldenwolfy
Thanks for all the replies! I've been busy for a bit so I haven't had the time to check back. Phew!

I feel I should respond to a few things in here.

First things first, I'm not running into 1v4s. What my picture was meant to show is generally that my teammates are almost always exclusively away from the control zone and never use specials or come to help. I can get a special off and take out a few enemies, and that's when I'll try to get some work done at the control zone. I know the picture isn't a good example, I guess I wanted to convey that I'm the one who has to deal with everything while my teammates don't try or hide or whatever else they do.

I use a lot of the strategies you mention. I'm not new to games like this and teammates not wanting to try, haha. I guess it's more confusing to me this time around because Splatoon is not complex. I mean, it can be as with anything else, but when it comes down to it the goal is supposed to be simple enough for anyone to understand. I picked up the game very quickly and generally do the best on my team. This kind of game comes naturally to me.

I know the maps well enough to understand how they are and what ways to utilize the surroundings to my advantage, and I do go into Recon mods to see if I can learn anything new now at then.

When it comes to wepons, I used the Splattershot very early but have since moved on to the Aerospray RG (but pretty much only in Turf War), the Splash/Sploosh-O-Matic, and occasionally the N-Zap '85. I'm generally not a fan of Rollers, Blasters or Chargers as they don't fit how I like to play the game.

Anyway! I do appreciate your answer and I'm doing some research through videos and stuff to see if there are any things I'm missing. I'll check out what you told me about as well as the other videos mentioned in the thread.

Again, sorry if I made my initial image not so clear. I did kind of give it the 1v4 feel, but I'm experienced enough in team based games not be that one guy who runs out and dies over and over, haha.

I've gotten better at carrying a bit. I don't die to stupid mistakes nearly as often and I'm very rarely caught out of position. I just need to get my teammates moving, otherwise we lose 100-0 because no one tries to capture the zone (I'm not going to fight the entire team without my special to help) since while I can get *some* things done, carrying a team still involves my teammates at least being somewhat aware that they're playing and the goal.
Yeah it's all good. I understood your point of the picture wasn't anything but to point out your team is out of position. But you have to be able to 1v4, but smartly. If that makes sense. It's easier said than done, but with good aim and proper positioning and maybe a few technical tricks here and there, you can do it. :)

Just keep at it, and I'm sure you'll be fine! :D

Last edited:

Bippzy

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-7508-4027-9894
Yeah it's all good. I understood your point of the picture wasn't anything but to point out your team is out of position. But you have to be able to 1v4, but smartly. If that makes sense. It's easier said than done, but with good aim and proper positioning and maybe a few technical tricks here and there, you can do it. :)

Just keep at it, and I'm sure you'll be fine! :D
Yeah, I usually take a Killer Wail with me into ranked matches purely because I know I'll be stuck in a position where it's going to be me versus the entire enemy team, haha. Usually I can take out about two of them and I can at least stall their control for a bit longer. Spam a few "C'mon!"s here and there because I have too much faith that they'll follow up, haha.

Hari-Kuyo

Inkling
What I learned as a brush main that sticks with me when I explore other weapons is how vital inking is in ranked. Both Splat Zones AND Tower Control. More room to flank, more room to run and maneuver, more locations for the enemy team to be paranoid about. You learn this with the brush weapons because flanking is so, so vital to getting any kills, but it's important for the entire team.

The important thing here is that where and when you ink makes all the difference.

On Tower Control I've been playing the plain ol' Splat Roller for this job. What a lot of your teammates seem not to realize is, covering extra ground is good! ...But you need to balance cost and reward. When I run off on a weird path for the first thirty seconds, building up my special is just a side effect. What I'm really doing is inking the tower's path, either our side or the enemy's side, so that when that tower gets nabbed for the first time, we'll be better prepared to handle it than they are. You CANNOT ignore what's going on in the middle when you're doing this. You don't have to get involved right away, but you better be sure that your team's got it covered. People like that need to quickly ink over what's gonna be important in a minute, but then they need to get in and do their gosh darned job.

What can you do about this? Uh... I dunno, honestly I always get teammates that don't bother inking at all so I just became the person that does. But it's easy to do that solo. I guess my advice is be the one that the enemy has to chase. Don't walk into their trap, lead them one by one into yours instead. That is the way of the team carrier.

SolarTrifle

Inkling
NNID
SolarTrifle
I know the feel. I've been stuck in the B range since I main chargers and can't carry a team alone. I find that spamming the C'mon actually has some effect in terms of telling your team that they should be watching your movements/doing something differently/pushing into enemy territory. I also find that if you're stuck with a bad team, just re-enter a match instead of replayng with the same people.

EsoTeRiC

Inkster Jr.
Ah, okay, phew! XD

Yeah, they've been worse than that recently as well. It seems like if we're losing, about half of the time they just give up and spam ZR and flop around in a spot together and wait out the loss. It's been a trend lately in my games, ranked or not.
Where is their honor? Fight until the very end regardless of losing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom