• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

How should Nintendo buff the Inkstrike?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I wouldn't mind getting it a bit faster, but I also feel like the majority of players use it wrong. It is almost purely support, yet people try to use it aggressively (and by that I mean just using it to claim turf). I'm baffled by the amount of ink strikes I saw on my base in camp triggerfish! No one is going to be at that location and the turf doesn't even last! Placement is everything.

If more people used ink strikes like cover fire and zoning then I'm not sure we'd need to buff it. But since they don't, I think a faster recovery after firing would be better. I'd love the ability to go back into the ink almost immediately instead of just bumbling around for 3 seconds.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Except you're also slowing yourself down by using it, and you lose your special while the opponent adds to theirs, so definitely not a favorable trade off. Regardless, that usage of is it win-moar, you still have to actually get into a winning position for that to do the very little it does. It'll have a much greater impact using it to help send opponent's back to spawn in the first place.
The time needed to fire the Inkstrike and resume inking is much shorter than the time needed to ink over the Inkstrike sufficiently. I've had a handful of matches where Inkstrikes were coming in quickly on my team's half of the stage and I spent most of it inking over Inkstrikes, meaning it turned into a 3 vs. 4 and we were overrun. If I ignored them, the problem would've been worse as they would've claimed large parts of our side.

Inkstrikes are also very good for removing snipers once you know where they are. This is particularly true in Moray Towers, where there's a favorite spot every charger user seems to like to use (unless they're carrying a Squiffer) and they will, nine times out of ten, jump down into the middle when they see an Inkstrike, making them sitting ducks.

ultra777

Full Squid
NNID
crazydragon1000
Or they could makes it like the Inkstrike in the reveal trailer but needs some more points. The size of the Inkstrike in the reveal trailer is like 3 times the size of the normal Inkstrike.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
The time needed to fire the Inkstrike and resume inking is much shorter than the time needed to ink over the Inkstrike sufficiently. I've had a handful of matches where Inkstrikes were coming in quickly on my team's half of the stage and I spent most of it inking over Inkstrikes, meaning it turned into a 3 vs. 4 and we were overrun. If I ignored them, the problem would've been worse as they would've claimed large parts of our side.

Inkstrikes are also very good for removing snipers once you know where they are. This is particularly true in Moray Towers, where there's a favorite spot every charger user seems to like to use (unless they're carrying a Squiffer) and they will, nine times out of ten, jump down into the middle when they see an Inkstrike, making them sitting ducks.
I don't like how you only responded to my first sentence and disregard everything else, especially since that everything else makes this next part mute, but whatevs!

It's 3 seconds at minimum. Plenty of weapons can cover it in that time. However I highlighted "at minimum" because finding a place to hide and deciding where to send it are gonna add more seconds. As for your matches, I think that's more to do with your decisions and play than the Inkstrikes. A basic rule of Turf War is you don't ink your entire base at once, you gradually fill it up each time you leave spawn for that exact reason, you leave your team at a disadvantage otherwise. Also if the enemy has nothing but Inkstrikes as their special, then you should be able to win the battles with your specials and take over mid.

Your second paragraph only furthers my point, that zoning with it is always better than pure turf spreading.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I didn't respond to the part about how the opponent has to be in a winning position to do that because it's not always the case: I've seen numerous instances where the other team is behind but they fire an Inkstrike right near our spawn point, and same thing with my team and their side.

Maybe you're a better player than I am, but I usually need 8 to 9 seconds to cover an Inkstrike (longer than that if it's a poor ink-covering weapon, like the Luna Blaster or the Splat Charger) until I'm satisfied with it unless I'm using a ridiculous ink-covering weapon like the Sploosh-o-Matic or the Dynamo Roller (or I spend a Bomb Rush on it), and if the opposing team has multiple Inkstrikes, they'll usually attempt to send another one down on top of me as I'm finished with the previous one.

Since Inkstrikes don't come raining down until, at minimum, about 20 seconds into a match, it means I'd most often be far in front of the Inkstrike when it lands, which means I just keep playing until I'm splatted. Usually the Inkstrike circle just sits there until then upon which I have to go clean that up because my teammates, more often than not, will ignore it and charge straight into battle again.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I didn't respond to the part about how the opponent has to be in a winning position to do that because it's not always the case: I've seen numerous instances where the other team is behind but they fire an Inkstrike right near our spawn point, and same thing with my team and their side.

Maybe you're a better player than I am, but I usually need 8 to 9 seconds to cover an Inkstrike (longer than that if it's a poor ink-covering weapon, like the Luna Blaster or the Splat Charger) until I'm satisfied with it unless I'm using a ridiculous ink-covering weapon like the Sploosh-o-Matic or the Dynamo Roller (or I spend a Bomb Rush on it), and if the opposing team has multiple Inkstrikes, they'll usually attempt to send another one down on top of me as I'm finished with the previous one.

Since Inkstrikes don't come raining down until, at minimum, about 20 seconds into a match, it means I'd most often be far in front of the Inkstrike when it lands, which means I just keep playing until I'm splatted. Usually the Inkstrike circle just sits there until then upon which I have to go clean that up because my teammates, more often than not, will ignore it and charge straight into battle again.
If you didn't splat the enemy, how are they coming out of spawn to paint over the inkstrike? By winning position I didn't mean having more turf currently, just that you took out an enemy, so I guess that was a poor choice of words of my part.

Whut!? Even covering every pixel of the inkstrike should not take that long. :confused:
But again, you should be covering your base bit by bit each time you leave spawn, enemy inkstrikes included. The Inkstrike isn't forcing you to leave your team and clean it up all at once afterall.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
You can cover up an Inkstrike in three seconds with a Luna Blaster?

And yes, it is forcing me to separate from everyone, because in like half of these Turf War matches where it happens, no one else seems interested in covering up the Inkstrike. They just travel right past it.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
You can cover up an Inkstrike in three seconds with a Luna Blaster?

And yes, it is forcing me to separate from everyone, because in like half of these Turf War matches where it happens, no one else seems interested in covering up the Inkstrike. They just travel right past it.
We're just gonna go on forever aren't we? :L
Well no! Bottomline, using an Inkstrike for anything other than zoning is not the best way to use it, only exception is during the last few seconds of a turf war.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I suppose so--you're pretty certain the Inkstrike is underpowered, while I believe it's fine the way it is--the Inkstrike rarely splats anyone (though my sister, by maining ONLY Inkstrike weapons, has become something of a dead-shot at it and can nail 2 or 3 people per match with Inkstrikes), but its ability to clear people out of a particular area, to me, is very valuable. I use Inkstrikes in that way, and I use Killer Wails in that way too.

That is, I value Inkstrikes in how opponents react to them, which can be just as good. It's a lot like Marth's or Lucina's Critical Hit in Smash Bros.: In spite of their mindblowing KOing power, the move is really more for getting opponents where they want them to be and making them nervous.

That being said, I also understand why you think the Inkstrike should be buffed: It doesn't fit with your playstyle, and you likely find opponents who don't react to the Inkstrike the same way I see them react.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I suppose so--you're pretty certain the Inkstrike is underpowered, while I believe it's fine the way it is--the Inkstrike rarely splats anyone (though my sister, by maining ONLY Inkstrike weapons, has become something of a dead-shot at it and can nail 2 or 3 people per match with Inkstrikes), but its ability to clear people out of a particular area, to me, is very valuable. I use Inkstrikes in that way, and I use Killer Wails in that way too.

That is, I value Inkstrikes in how opponents react to them, which can be just as good. It's a lot like Marth's or Lucina's Critical Hit in Smash Bros.: In spite of their mindblowing KOing power, the move is really more for getting opponents where they want them to be and making them nervous.

That being said, I also understand why you think the Inkstrike should be buffed: It doesn't fit with your playstyle, and you likely find opponents who don't react to the Inkstrike the same way I see them react.
Nah, it needs to be buffed because it's just a worse Killer Wail. Way smaller AoE and it last half as long.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I do think it needs to be buffed but only with a reduction of the ending lag. I do think it is one of the worse specials special but with that said I don't think it's useless not even underpowered. I believe many people just don't know where and how to use it. In many cases, Inkstike can really start off pushes because of the safe ground it gives. Whilst in SZ whilst it might not always be effective at obtaining zones can assist in taking control of key areas (the obvious ones being the ones themselves.) TC is in my opinion, its best mode because it basically flushes opponents around the tower and provides safe ground of your team. That is quite valuable and I feel could be abused if anything drastic is made. The thing many people do is place it somewhere that the enemy can easily recover in a few seconds. When combined with team support is the inkstrike able to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom