• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Should Squad Competititions Be Done?

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101
So we have seen all the squads/clans/teams and we plan on fighting others. The thing is, how do you think this should be done? This a whole new meta, and we should develop how we plan to do things, so we can all be on the same page about how things should be done. So just dicuss how you think competitive splatoon should be taken, and how many games should be done in a squad match. Of course splatoon isn't quit fully flushed out, but it would be great to discuss what we want none the less.

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
First of all, I don't think we can do anything until the update comes that allows friend 4v4s. And even then it depends on the customization options. But assuming no customization and no particular stage selection, I think best 3 of 5 isn't a bad idea. Matches are short enough so that it won't take too long. One thing I think shouldn't be focused on is individual performance. I don't think we should have rankings based on the individuals that get the most points because there are some setups and strategies that can contribute to the success of a team without earning a lot of points. Keep it team based.

R_Hunter

Senior Squid
NNID
EclipseHunter
Points for individuals shouldn't be a primary focus. A Roller is designed to collect more points versus a Charger, yet a skilled Charger can lead his or her team to a win. I'd also agree that overall a "best of five" method should work well. Gives the teams a chance to turn things around, and overall keeps quick due to match times.

As to match types, I can see doing an even amount of what ever. Right now that'll be Splat Zones and Turf War, but as more types release we can evaluate their playability in the metagame.

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
Even though Splatzones and other ranked modes are supposed to be more "competetive", I think that turf war should be our go to mode since it is the most iconic and diverse mode that best displays the mechanics of the game. That said, I think we should try incorporating many modes into tournaments.

FuncDetail

Inkster Jr.
NNID
FuncDetail
My thoughts expressed below are based on the info that we got so far. It might change over the updates.
Squad Competitions will obviously use the August Update's custom battles as this is the only way to gather 8 players without any kind of team scramble. So far we know that we can change the map and the rule (game mode).
I think Turf Wars might end up being a good bet for formal competitions. Mostly because it's what Nintendo advertised the most. When one thinks Splatoon, you think Turf Wars. I feel like the weapons were primarily tested in that mode.
The only thing I am unsure about using Turf Wars is how easy it would be for the viewers (if there are any) to follow. Turf War is a little more chaotic than what Splat Zone or Tower Control look. As a potential tournament host (If my local community ever gets there), I do plan on getting a Gamepad Capture Card to provide an overhead map for the viewers. This is a way that I see to make it easier to understand what's going on.

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101
My hope is that we will use all modes, and will use a striking system for the game mode between games. This could really be interesting as it forces a lot of different playstyles. Also, I like 3/5

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Even though Splatzones and other ranked modes are supposed to be more "competetive", I think that turf war should be our go to mode since it is the most iconic and diverse mode that best displays the mechanics of the game. That said, I think we should try incorporating many modes into tournaments.
the gamemode that we decide to play should be the one most conducive to skillful and dynamic play, not the most recognizable one. i really don't think turf war suits the game competitively since it doesn't funnel players to objectives, like splat zones or tower control does.

splatzones, tower control, rainmaker, whatever... we'll have to play them all before deciding what gamemodes we can play

it's not like we have to restrict ourselves to one, either. if all the modes are healthy and encourage skillful, competitive play then we can host tournaments for all of them

Detta

Inkling
NNID
Dettadeus
I'm actually really liking Splat Zones so far, it seems much more balanced than Turf Wars in terms of what weapons are viable because you don't have to focus as much on inking territory. I've seen a lot of players have success with Charger and Blaster weapons, which I almost never saw in like 30-40 hours of Turf Wars.

Currently sitting at B-, 72 points. Been using the Aerospray RG the entire way, although if I had an organized team I'd be going for one of the Splattershot Jr weapons.

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101
I'm actually really liking Splat Zones so far, it seems much more balanced than Turf Wars in terms of what weapons are viable because you don't have to focus as much on inking territory. I've seen a lot of players have success with Charger and Blaster weapons, which I almost never saw in like 30-40 hours of Turf Wars.

Currently sitting at B-, 72 points. Been using the Aerospray RG the entire way, although if I had an organized team I'd be going for one of the Splattershot Jr weapons.
Splat zones is definitely interesting. I think it's great for a competitive scene. Lots of chargers, and they are great. Krak On roller seems really good, as does splattershot jr. Quick Squiffer or whatever it's called is great. Charger with a bubbler, both perfect in turf wars.

Protom

Pro Squid
Ya, a lot of weapons and subs that are pretty mediocre in turf wars work wonders in splat zones (blasters, chargers, ink walls, SPRINKLERS, etc. killer whail can turn the whole game around if it takes out 3-4 people)
I feel a a set could be taking an odd number of game modes, doing one or two matches in each. The maps played are where striking comes in and such. Just some general thoughts/ideas..

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Hey everybody! Glad to see there are others who want to discuss this ^_^

A few of us are actually from the SCO and have discussed what we believed was going to happen with competitive Splatoon extensively. So here are some details on what we have discussed. Let us know what you think :)

Competitive play game modes in all games are meant to reward skill of the players. So if a team starts to win, the longer and longer that the team is winning for, the harder it will be for the opposing team to make a comeback. This is seen in all games, and because of this Turf Wars shouldn't be used as the tide can change too quickly. Splat Zones and Tower Defense are the viable options, but we will have to see how Tower Defense is.

This is not set in stone so please do not tell anyone else, or even your squad members, as we don't want to spread incorrect information that might be changed later.
We are working with Squidboards to make a ranking system that includes Squads vs Squads and Tournaments in the same ranking system. The system will be Elo and the reason that we are putting them together is because of how Elo works. Elo is meant to calculate the odds of one squad winning against another squad. It is meant to place you in your proper skill ranking until you, as a player, improve. So by allowing "Wars" (Squads vs Squads battles) to be in the same ranking system we are merely allowing squads another avenue to get to their proper Skill level ranking. High caliber gaming communities like LoL, CS:GO, and so many others use it because it is indeed a really good system. This will also not affect tournaments which was discussed thoroughly by the group because of the nature of tournaments. People go to tournaments to prove to everyone that they are the best, that they are able to beat multiple people in a row and come up on top, the want the possibility of going onto streams and showing their skills, and there is usually the possibility of making money out of it.

The Squads themselves will be ranked for simplicity's sake. Squads will be able to change their members only once every month during the first 3 days of the month. Members can drop a squad at any time should there be any reason to do so and they would be able to play for fun of course, but they would not be able to join another competitive squad until the first 3 days of the month.

There will be tiers in the ranking with divisions within it (examples: Gold I, Gold II, Bronze III, Bronze II, etc.)

-Big squads must divide into smaller squads. These smaller squads will still be a part of the big group but they will have to be locked into a squad until they are able to change at the beginning of the month. Example: Inkzooka Squad I, Inkzooka Squad II, Inkzooka Squad [EU], etc.

-The beauty of an Elo system is that it is self-correcting and so when a squad changes its members they will rise of fall in ranking depending on the squad's new skill level.

We actually made a TeamSpeak server that all squads can go to quite awhile ago. All registered squads already have their own rooms that they can go to. The reason why the server is better is because it is able to be organized and it used in a lot of gaming communities. The TS server is 76.74.238.52:10907

btw sorry it was taking so long to let the community know, we were planning on releasing the plans next week or the week after.

Kairo

Pro Squid
NNID
smartmadboy
If we do end up playing Turf War for competitive (or part of it), I'd like to suggest this/throw this idea out there:

Have the winner be determined through the cumulative total of Points (visible underneath the percentage underneath the result screen) from the x amount of rounds, instead of winning the best of x matches.

In this way, even if a team loses the first x matches by a little, they still have the possibility of winning/catching up if they have a dominant match later on.
Also having it be cumulative makes it so people will play up until the very last second, instead of just quitting the current round after being pushed back to their base with no way of winning at that point. Every single bit of turf would matter. People may also attempt to guard a large portion of the match with best out of x matches, attempting to secure an easier win. Cumulative totals makes it so that that strategy is not as effective.

Turf War is won through covering the most turf, so having cumulative totals would accurately represent and encourage the mode, unlike having it be best out of x matches. Best out of x matches encourage a different type of play (more kill based than covering turf), which more suited for ranked battles in my opinion.

Considering each match is ~3 minutes, and lobby time would probably be around ~1 minute, I'd suggest having 7 rounds in each squad battle, resulting in each battle being around half an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom