• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 How To Be Terrible @ Splatoon 2: Turf War and Weapons (Lesson 1)

Is your main weapon a(an)... (read the lesson for context)

• Splatter

• Inkter

• Inker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
but I personally feel like my critics are not actually understanding the point I'm trying to make.
Most critics, if not all of them have been a rookie at this game on release, but had experience to carry over from Splat1.
I think the issue here is that you are trying to establish that there are specific ways of playing the game, or simply just 3 of them.
When in general there is over a hundred of them.
You can't apply one of them and stick with it for the duration of the turf war, that is like ramming against wall and saying it will break eventually, but not before your body does.
Being capable of adaptation and flexibility is something people will learn eventually, time will tell when it happens.

NerdiestNerder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Pahaw105
Switch Friend Code
SW-3271-4243-4054
I can't respond to everything, but'll I'll try to respond to everything that makes me look good. Man, I haven't gotten this much uproar since that time I called Ocarina of Time overrated on a Zelda forum! (true story)
(That was a joke (I'm not taking chances))
Okay this is not how games are won in splatoon. Games are usually won by holding map control longer than the other team, or having a better push than the enemy team
I reasoned that this strategy would help holding the map control and pushing, definitely the latter. I realize that the execution of my strategy is flawed, but in theory wasn't my strategy doing the things you mentioned? Now I'm confused.

I don't know who told you rollers can't fight, but you've never played splatoon 1 if you honestly think this. Splat rollers and their variants are close combat experts who can punish up close targets with ease
Honestly, nobody told me that rollers couldn't fight, except my own experiences. See, my original main was the roller when I got the game, and I never found myself good at killing people. Assuming that everyone else was the same, I guess the ideology has just stuck with me. In fact, part of me still thinks it's true.

Overall, I know this isn't a super serious guide, but just starting off with "How to be mediocre" gave me a really weak first impression.
I really hate giving people false hope, so usually my online works are self-deprecative so that criticism looks expected from me, instead of the scenario of me saying my work is awesome and then the embarrassing moment when it turns out to be trash.

but sincerely speaking kudos to you admitting that you made a mistake. Not many are willing to do that when their topic ends up going bad.
https://giphy.com/gifs/michaelbolton-l3q2UdX8HREZi35gA

And also, tone down the comedy, or whatever. You can still be respected and come across as smart without cracking jokes. If you don't do it right (I'm mostly pointing at the furry thing) you just come across as awkward. Don't do it if you can't do it, and it's fine if you can't. You can still be interesting without humor
God damn it, NOW you're telling me?

Sorry. I admit that the furry joke was unneeded, but I had just watched a video about a furry sliding into a girl's DMs. I was "furry fueled". And no, I can't do online humor, but I still try. It's usually turns out to be sarcastic or self-deprecating.

Speaking of, why are we all of a sudden jumping into mental dependency from others and online-social issues? I thought this was just some critics making sure I was not making new Splatoon players toxic!

Normally i let these threads float by, but you seem pretty committed in writing stuff up. That is 100% allright with me, but you need to work on preparing your research before you start to write your guide down.
I do like to write, and it is usually either hit or miss. This is unusual for me, I usually like to plan storylines and how I'm going to present myself, but this was my first jump into guides and "self-help" type writings. It was a miss, and I learned my lesson not to do things like this.

Just to show you that I can sometimes hit, I'll provide a link to the cheesy super-hero drama that I'm writing at Quotev. I and the other nerds you loved it seem to agree with me.
https://www.quotev.com/story/11085902/Clockwork-Series-One/1

----------------

Overall, I thank you for teaching me my lesson. It really does mean a lot to me that you took your time to create an entire discussion that is second only to that time I called Ocarina of Time overrated on a Zelda forum (true).
If you have anything else to say, I implore you to say it.
It can't get any worse, right?

NerdiestNerder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Pahaw105
Switch Friend Code
SW-3271-4243-4054
Alright. After all of the sarcasm, furry references and heated debates, I should probably end it right here by saying that yes, I screwed up. The guide was absolutely the worst thing on this website by far, and for many different reasons.

First of all, it was downright offensive of me to say that weapons can only do one thing. It was almost "racist" of me to force each player to choose their own strategy and I understand why many players felt adimant about the issue, given that they have probably spent hundreds of hours playing the game with say, a Charger, and have always loved inking. Using my personal experience as "research" was wrong, which brings me to my next point.

I did no research, did no studying and did not even look or ask how other players felt on the issue. The player was right when he said that this was a rant, not a guide. It was me finally getting all those curses and screams as I saw our team out on the forum list. This would have been alright, had I not labeled it as a guide.

Finally, and probably the worst, the way I responded. It was probably confusing to the critics because of my "bi-polar" like attitude. In one paragraph, I would be ranting against the player's comments, and in the next, making a furry reference or sarcastic joke, causing confusion. This post right here should have been the first thing to come out after Hiro finally called me out on my "bullsquid". Instead, my thoughts on the issue made this thing drag out, and I simply wanted to make a post saying that you were right, and I admit to the mistake.

However, I wouldn't want to just delete the thread. I want to fix it with your help and create a guide using all your suggestions and help to truly improve Splatoon players. Just for this one time, I ask that the critics become the helpers, and possibly give some ideas about how to truly fix this mess. Because of course, you didn't cause it, I totally understand if you opt out. I'm just offering a suggestion myself.

As sappy as this sounds, no I am not kissing your *** nor am I trying to play the victim, because I'm kind of afraid that it looks that way. I sure as heck hope not.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Alright. After all of the sarcasm, furry references and heated debates, I should probably end it right here by saying that yes, I screwed up. The guide was absolutely the worst thing on this website by far, and for many different reasons.

First of all, it was downright offensive of me to say that weapons can only do one thing. It was almost "racist" of me to force each player to choose their own strategy and I understand why many players felt adimant about the issue, given that they have probably spent hundreds of hours playing the game with say, a Charger, and have always loved inking. Using my personal experience as "research" was wrong, which brings me to my next point.

I did no research, did no studying and did not even look or ask how other players felt on the issue. The player was right when he said that this was a rant, not a guide. It was me finally getting all those curses and screams as I saw our team out on the forum list. This would have been alright, had I not labeled it as a guide.

Finally, and probably the worst, the way I responded. It was probably confusing to the critics because of my "bi-polar" like attitude. In one paragraph, I would be ranting against the player's comments, and in the next, making a furry reference or sarcastic joke, causing confusion. This post right here should have been the first thing to come out after Hiro finally called me out on my "bullsquid". Instead, my thoughts on the issue made this thing drag out, and I simply wanted to make a post saying that you were right, and I admit to the mistake.

However, I wouldn't want to just delete the thread. I want to fix it with your help and create a guide using all your suggestions and help to truly improve Splatoon players. Just for this one time, I ask that the critics become the helpers, and possibly give some ideas about how to truly fix this mess. Because of course, you didn't cause it, I totally understand if you opt out. I'm just offering a suggestion myself.

As sappy as this sounds, no I am not kissing your *** nor am I trying to play the victim, because I'm kind of afraid that it looks that way. I sure as heck hope not.
Dude, relax. No one here thinks less of you. No one worth caring about anyway :p You got off on the wrong foot somewhat and that's been acknowledged by you and others, you can only go up from here. The folks here, me included, will be happy to help you and your guide improve.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Admitting your mistakes is the first sign that you are learning something.
Next time you make a guide, it will come out a lot better than the previous one you made.
You shouldn't let yourself down when stuff like this happens.

Play the game for a bit longer and you'll see for yourself just how much you can offer in advice where it matters.
Oh and for online sarcasm and funny jokes, before you do that, make sure people knows you first, 'k ?

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Girls, girls, calm down.

The roller (with the exception of the Dynamo) is not meant for fighting. Sure, can it survive a fight, yes. But against most other weapons in most scenarios, the range and overall lack of fighting power make it weaker then say, a charger. I'm not saying that you can't fight with splat rollers, sure you can! But I am saying that because the splat roller has some disadvantages, it should have a different strategy then a weapon like a charger.
About brushes, that's true. A 1-2 brushes are weaker though, with smaller ranges. I will admit though that most brushes are not in this category.

Also, of course every weapon should ink turf! As a charger myself, if I see no enemies on the battlefield, I'll make sure to pump out a few shots to the area, spreading my ink. In fact, this should always be in the back of your mind in TW. However, when in a combat scenario, each type of weapon will do its own thing.

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out.

Remember that I also said "be flexible"? This is key in my guide. Yes, Splat Rollers can make good fighters (rarely) but that does not mean that that should be their main goal. Because they are better at painting then chargers, they should take that opportunity and spend more time inking turf. Unless, of course, the situation needs them elsewhere.
About special types of each weapon that are on the verge of Splatters and Inkters/Inkters and Inkers or downright in another category (you mentioned the squiffer) by all means go ahead and do what your weapon calls for. Unfortunately, I care too much about my time to list where every singly weapon exists on the spectrum.
Speaking of, I should probably clarify in the guide that Splatters, Inkters and Inkers are not three separate categories, but an intertwined spectrum. A Eliter Scope Sniper should act a lot more like a Splatter then a Kelp Splattershot or Squiffer.

Your personal experience is touching but does not add to your argument. I'm assuming that you're a pro, but this guide is targeted at mediocre players who maybe aren't as good about moving out of their spectrum. Admit it, the more you move into the other side of the spectrum as a charger, the harder and harder it is to maintain your position. You have the ability that others just don't have.

The last point is an example of the failure of most Splatoon players, and why I made this guide in the first place. Because of the failure of Splatters and Inkters, I find that the population of Inkers disappearing too, and the few that remain are taking a more Inkter stance or messing up. This isn't there fault, more of the fault of untrained Splatters and Inkters who try to do things that they are not skilled enough to do.

Again, did you read the guide? I'm not even going to make a new paragraph, instead, I'll give you the source material:

This is where the puzzle analogy begins to fall apart. If your team (including you) is four Inkers, then you need to have flexibility. This means that in this, and ONLY THIS, scenario, can you go to other sides of the spectrum. Let's continue with the roller example.
Instead of going everywhere to ink, you need to find strategic positions to attack the other team, focusing on furthering the front line, something that would usually be for the Splatters.
Overall, this small section is a light touch, but it is the most important. Knowing to observe the players around you and adapting to that scenario is necessary before you can became a pro.

-------------------
I know my attitude may seem like I don't approve of the criticism, but truly I am happy about this, as it has made me rethink and add upon my own theory. I encourage you and others to continue to call me out on errors in my judgement so I may build my theory up from rubble.

Good inking!

(Also, thank you Libra for being a charger. I encourage you to continue to splat those damn rollers)
Splat rollers are actually veeeeeerry inefficient at covering turf - in prettt much every competitive team I’ve seen that has a roller, the roller plays the roll of slayer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom