How to improve and be successful in competitive splatoon

Justice

Inkster Jr.
NNID
danny2413
Hi ya everyone this is OFF | ynnaD or you can just call me danny. I am making this thread to try and give tips and advice to clans that may have trouble in being successful but want to get better but not sure what they may be doing wrong. As part of one of the better clans on squidboards I am going to express my opinion in why offshore is successful and what we do as players for the team. These are only my personal opinions if you think different that is ok but my goal is to just say what I think makes us a good team. You may also post your opinions to add to this if you think I missed key details.

Call outs:
Easily the most important ability skill each player on your team should have. All 4 members of your team should be able to communicate with each other and express whats going on around them when something happens. If they get kills they should be saying so. If they die they should be saying they died what area they died in and what killed them. Details that seem extremely important should be stressed to everyone such as: "a person is coming to our closed to flank, Kraken is in our zone moving to such and such location, 96 gal has kraken" these are things I try most importantly to mention while playing with my teammates. Also calling out locations of where the enemy team is and where they are moving are important which I think sniper mains should be calling out the most but are not limited to them we all should be but they have the best point of view.

The ability to get kills and playing smart as well as weapon compositions:
This skill is probably the most important skill because this is I feel determines if a team is a top team or just an average team. Offshore is good with there team work but what makes us good is our own individual ability to win fights that we need to win and make plays on our own. Your main goal as a player I feel should be to know your weapon. What ever you play you should have a roll and should always be aware of your weapons abilities and when to approach and when to get the hell out. an example: say your playing nzap 85 vs a 56 gal and he throws a wall up what should you do? obviously u dont want to charge in head on to challenge it you will want to evade him if possible or even use your sub weapon the splat bomb to throw over or into the wall to get the potential kill or make him move away so you can stop his movement and push him back. You should be looking at the enemy's team comp at the start of the game and be aware of what they have. Don't be afraid to make a call. If you get 2 kills lets say you should be saying to your team "2 down lets push the point" what ever the point is. If your team starts dieing you as a player should be focusing on the objective and staying alive for your team to stall so they can get back into the action to help to stop the opponents push. Your specials I shouldnt have to say but are extremely effective. Dont be afraid to use it and even farm for it to make pushes and to stop enemy pushes.

what you wear:
This one is not as important per say but what you wear is still key. When ever you play vs anyone I feel like you should always be wearing the cold blooded ability (only exception to me would be snipers since you almost always no where they are anyway). Being tracked basically means you are useless since the opponent team knows where you are with echo locator meaning they can surprise you easily or you become an easy target for the enemy sniper is they have one. If you opponent doesnt have an echo in first game you can consider removing it if you so wish to. As for what you wear there are alot of abilities you can choose from and honestly it depends on your weapon and what suits best for it. Its also personal preference but what you wear should help you and your weapon be effective in combat. Key things to point out with gear: Attack, Defense, Stealth Jump, Quick Respawn, Run speed, Swim speed. These are abilities that i feel affect the meta and as a person that loves gear and enjoys rolling for rare gear its important to point our these skills. Attack on certain weapons such as tentatek and 52 means they want to keep there ability to 3 shot you. In response dont run defense but run swim speed or run speed to out maneuver them in close combat. if you see someone with defense and it makes ur weapon an extra shot to kill them be aware of this and either stack attack or increase ur speed and be aware that you may take an extra shot to kill. Stealth jump is pretty underrated especially in tower control. But in tower I look for this specifically so I make sure to let my team no "hey they got stealth jump so be aware of this around tower". Quick respawn is probably my favorite ability in the game. The less time you are in spawn the better it is for your team and trading is a win for you if you have it and they dont but you have to be aware just cause you have it you shouldnt be looking to rush in and die you still need to be smart and effective.

I think these are probably the most important aspects that make us as strong as we are and are just the very basic things we do as a clan. As I said earlier you can post any additional information that you may think help a team become stronger. I really want to see other teams being able to make it to the top so this community can become bigger and stronger instead of seeing the same teams over and over in tops. If you have a question you can leave a comment or pm me if you so wish to. Thanks for the read and hope this helps ~.

Last edited:

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
This skill is probably the most important skill because this is I feel determines if a team is a top team or just an average team. Offshore is good with there team work but what makes us good is our own individual ability to win fights that we need to win and make plays on our own.
True, but remember that it'll flip to the opposite in a couple years. In established metas, being good as an individual makes you an average joe, but being a smart teammate is the "it factor" that puts people on top.

Justice

Inkster Jr.
NNID
danny2413
True, but remember that it'll flip to the opposite in a couple years. In established metas, being good as an individual makes you an average joe, but being a smart teammate is the "it factor" that puts people on top.
You missed my point. Yes being a good teammate is good but if you suck as an individual player your gonna struggle. You want to have your individual skill that you developed through just playing and experience then when you get into a team they teach you how to be a team player. When we recruit people we look for people that have the ability to play not if they have team experience cause this is what can be taught but you can't teach a person how to play and be a good individual player.

Saturn

NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
I'm just pointing out that individual skill is what's most important now, but it's not going to be that way forever. A lot of the other games I've played competitively have taught me that becoming a good teammate takes far, far longer than being able to win fights. It's what ends up defining a successful player, not who DMs the best. Becoming a good individual player comes naturally with hours logged playing the game, so it shouldn't be everyone's focus for the long term. Short term, yes. The meta is new so it makes the biggest difference right now.

DeltaFixer

Full Squid
NNID
RCDelta
Regarding your first point about communication. The two teams in grand finals of BB3 don't use any voice communication whatsoever. They view it as a distraction and they all play better when they can just focus on the game. How do you account for that?

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Regarding your first point about communication. The two teams in grand finals of BB3 don't use any voice communication whatsoever. They view it as a distraction and they all play better when they can just focus on the game. How do you account for that?
It's the same as Mario Kart. Some people can do it, some people can't. I played with imperious for MKW and we didn't voice and were at the top. You need high spacial awareness, which I don't think a lot of players have.

Hannah

Inkling
NNID
hfortney
This is my first post on SquidBoards and I loved reading this. Thanks for the post!

Hi ya everyone this is OFF | ynnaD or you can just call me danny. I am making this thread to try and give tips and advice to clans that may have trouble in being successful but want to get better but not sure what they may be doing wrong. As part of one of the better clans on squidboards I am going to express my opinion in why offshore is successful and what we do as players for the team. These are only my personal opinions if you think different that is ok but my goal is to just say what I think makes us a good team. You may also post your opinions to add to this if you think I missed key details.

Call outs:
Easily the most important ability skill each player on your team should have. All 4 members of your team should be able to communicate with each other and express whats going on around them when something happens. If they get kills they should be saying so. If they die they should be saying they died what area they died in and what killed them. Details that seem extremely important should be stressed to everyone such as: "a person is coming to our closed to flank, Kraken is in our zone moving to such and such location, 96 gal has kraken" these are things I try most importantly to mention while playing with my teammates. Also calling out locations of where the enemy team is and where they are moving are important which I think sniper mains should be calling out the most but are not limited to them we all should be but they have the best point of view.

The ability to get kills and playing smart as well as weapon compositions:
This skill is probably the most important skill because this is I feel determines if a team is a top team or just an average team. Offshore is good with there team work but what makes us good is our own individual ability to win fights that we need to win and make plays on our own. Your main goal as a player I feel should be to know your weapon. What ever you play you should have a roll and should always be aware of your weapons abilities and when to approach and when to get the hell out. an example: say your playing nzap 85 vs a 56 gal and he throws a wall up what should you do? obviously u dont want to charge in head on to challenge it you will want to evade him if possible or even use your sub weapon the splat bomb to throw over or into the wall to get the potential kill or make him move away so you can stop his movement and push him back. You should be looking at the enemy's team comp at the start of the game and be aware of what they have. Don't be afraid to make a call. If you get 2 kills lets say you should be saying to your team "2 down lets push the point" what ever the point is. If your team starts dieing you as a player should be focusing on the objective and staying alive for your team to stall so they can get back into the action to help to stop the opponents push. Your specials I shouldnt have to say but are extremely effective. Dont be afraid to use it and even farm for it to make pushes and to stop enemy pushes.

what you wear:
This one is not as important per say but what you wear is still key. When ever you play vs anyone I feel like you should always be wearing the cold blooded ability (only exception to me would be snipers since you almost always no where they are anyway). Being tracked basically means you are useless since the opponent team knows where you are with echo locator meaning they can surprise you easily or you become an easy target for the enemy sniper is they have one. If you opponent doesnt have an echo in first game you can consider removing it if you so wish to. As for what you wear there are alot of abilities you can choose from and honestly it depends on your weapon and what suits best for it. Its also personal preference but what you wear should help you and your weapon be effective in combat. Key things to point out with gear: Attack, Defense, Stealth Jump, Quick Respawn, Run speed, Swim speed. These are abilities that i feel affect the meta and as a person that loves gear and enjoys rolling for rare gear its important to point our these skills. Attack on certain weapons such as tentatek and 52 means they want to keep there ability to 3 shot you. In response dont run defense but run swim speed or run speed to out maneuver them in close combat. if you see someone with defense and it makes ur weapon an extra shot to kill them be aware of this and either stack attack or increase ur speed and be aware that you may take an extra shot to kill. Stealth jump is pretty underrated especially in tower control. But in tower I look for this specifically so I make sure to let my team no "hey they got stealth jump so be aware of this around tower". Quick respawn is probably my favorite ability in the game. The less time you are in spawn the better it is for your team and trading is a win for you if you have it and they dont but you have to be aware just cause you have it you shouldnt be looking to rush in and die you still need to be smart and effective.

I think these are probably the most important aspects that make us as strong as we are and are just the very basic things we do as a clan. As I said earlier you can post any additional information that you may think help a team become stronger. I really want to see other teams being able to make it to the top so this community can become bigger and stronger instead of seeing the same teams over and over in tops. If you have a question you can leave a comment or pm me if you so wish to. Thanks for the read and hope this helps ~.

Saturn

NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
The meta is so young they can get away with it. It's not something they will get away with forever.

In TF2, If a matchup is at all close and one of the the teams doesn't use voice chat, they get stuffed. S t u f f e d.

Last edited:

TCSmith0812

Full Squid
Just remember that in the end, you have to be BOTH a good single player and team player. Neither should be considered more important than the other, because to be successful, you must be both. And however your team plays best, just go along with it. Meaning if you're better without voice chat or with it, just do what you want. Personally, although my squad is competitive, we still screw around a lot and have fun, so it's more fun for me with voice chat. But when competing, just do whatever works best and have fun :)

Justice

Inkster Jr.
NNID
danny2413
As said before it is possible to play with no communication and do very well. However, it makes it more difficult on the team because as Matt said each player has to have awareness of whats going on so they don't all die to one person. But I wanted to be basic and communication is the easiest and most effective way to ensure your team doesnt die to a single kraken for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom