• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How viable is the Dynamo in competitive tournaments?

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Hey everyone, I want to ask your opinion on this weapon and how viable you think it is for actual competitive tournaments.

The reason I raised this flag here is because I was speaking to someone (who I know irl) who is a member of a high level squad here on squidboards and while we were talking about squads it got to the point of what weapon do I use and I responded with that I use mainly rollers like Krak On and Dynamo then we go into the subject of what weapons would do really well in high level tournaments such like the .96 Gal (deco) and such.

I know that the weapon has a really good build but for someone who has used different types of rollers for a long time that I feel these are something I can bring to the battlefield.

But yeah, I want to ask your opinions on weapons like the Dynamo and whether they can be high level tournament viable (Krak On's included).

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Personally I've played against basically all the top teams either in scrims/quads and I've never said "gee I wish I didn't play Dynamo". It has some weaknesses, but all weapons share them (walls, chargers). You need to have a strong understanding of the games movement mechanics and how to abuse vertical options. Team support is nice too if they want to help shoot walls for you. If they don't want to help you or think you're a liability you're better off finding people to play with who aren't that way.

Krakon is also very strong because you can play it 2 ways: kraken machine or quick respawn/kamikaze. It requires no abilities to be strong so you can stack quick respawn so you're never out of the game. You can effectively turn games into 5vs4 with this method. This relies solely on player skill, as you -cannot- run quick respawn and think you can do whatever you want without consequences. People will adapt to your habits if you try doing the same thing over and over (ie: always sjing to a teammate), so you need to be able to adapt to situations/opponents and switch up your patterns.

Kraken play is self explanatory. Swim Speed, SCU, SDU. Get your special as high as possible and limit your aggros to sneak attacks or when you have special ready.

The english communities opinion on rollers is swayed by false-consensus bias of a group of players that agree with themselves for hating on the weapon type and calling it useless. Japanese players are by far superior and their team comps almost always have a krakon roller.

Charlight

Meme Spy
I feel like it's easy to take out a Dynamo with a coordinated team, I personally don't think it's too high tier for team play. That being said, I still love playing it and will continue to use it even in squad battles. Regardless, in solo queue it's amazing.

Sol64

I feel like it's easy to take out a Dynamo with a coordinated team, I personally don't think it's too high tier for team play. That being said, I still love playing it and will continue to use it even in squad battles. Regardless, in solo queue it's amazing.
Agreed.

I was even using it today and I was able to clip a sniper (within the zone) on port mackerel and proceeded to K.O. the team in Splat Zones. I don't normally use it on that map but kelp dome was in it as well and generally an open spaced map is better for it.

You need to have a strong understanding of the games movement mechanics and how to abuse vertical options. Team support is nice too if they want to help shoot walls for you. If they don't want to help you or think you're a liability you're better off finding people to play with who aren't that way.

The english communities opinion on rollers is swayed by false-consensus bias of a group of players that agree with themselves for hating on the weapon type and calling it useless. Japanese players are by far superior and their team comps almost always have a krakon roller.
I agree with everything you said but the movement mechanics definitely is something I wanted to touch upon. Knowing how to move and not be a sitting duck before you chuck is definitely a thing that you can abuse (and also flinging above walls like the buckets do). I understand that it's more of a support weapon but it can fit either offense or defense when needed.

And that last quote, makes a bunch of sense in hindsight.

Dish

Full Squid
NNID
Englannd
It's definitely not "broken" but it isn't terrible either. Any team with a good charger can pick off dynamos pretty easily but with the right support the dynamo can be crazy. Not seen too often in high play but can't sleep on it

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
The Krak-On roller is the best weapon with the Beakon as a sub. You can easily set-up forward positions with it, it's splash range is wide and fast enough to kill enemies on the tower from underneath it and the Kraken special can make great pushes or allow you a few valuable seconds for a teammate to jump in and continue pushing. The Dynamo Roller only really has the Echolocator to offer, which an E-liter already has anyway. The slow speed of the swing means most shooters and blasters will kill you before you finish the animation as well. The pellet spread and arc are also wide enough even perfectly aimed flings will sometimes have survivors. And the Gold Dynamo Roller is the Turf Wars king, but not much else.

Njok

Bouncer
The Krak-On roller is the best weapon with the Beakon as a sub. You can easily set-up forward positions with it, it's splash range is wide and fast enough to kill enemies on the tower from underneath it and the Kraken special can make great pushes or allow you a few valuable seconds for a teammate to jump in and continue pushing. The Dynamo Roller only really has the Echolocator to offer, which an E-liter already has anyway. The slow speed of the swing means most shooters and blasters will kill you before you finish the animation as well. The pellet spread and arc are also wide enough even perfectly aimed flings will sometimes have survivors. And the Gold Dynamo Roller is the Turf Wars king, but not much else.
Right... Please watch the guy 3 replies above you play it some time and then edit your post :P

Anyway, out of the top 20 in the power rankings atm (as far as that says anything so early on, which i kind of doubt tbh) there are at least 6 teams who regularly run a dynamo in their composition. That's the ones i know about, so i wouldn't be surprised if it's even more. Based on that alone i'd think it's viable at least for now.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
The impression I've got from watching tournament streams, as well as some of the top teams playing squad battles, is that most weapons are viable in the right hands (even the sploosh!), and certainly rollers. For example, I watched a team entirely composed of carbon rollers beat SS-C in a squad match at the weekend. I don't think claims to the effect that rollers aren't viable are very credible right now, though the situation could change of course, but my current suspicions are that it won't, and particularly not if there's more contact between western and Japanese teams.

Sol64

The Dynamo Roller only really has the Echolocator to offer, which an E-liter already has anyway. The slow speed of the swing means most shooters and blasters will kill you before you finish the animation as well
So sprinklers are useless then? And the e-litre part having the echo doesn't matter, the Dynamo can still (and even charge it faster) than it. As for the slow speed, that's the nature of the weapon that you must adapt to.

That's why Agosta touched on the movement mechanics so you're not a sitting duck before you chuck.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
So sprinklers are useless then? And the e-litre part having the echo doesn't matter, the Dynamo can still (and even charge it faster) than it. As for the slow speed, that's the nature of the weapon that you must adapt to.

That's why Agosta touched on the movement mechanics so you're not a sitting duck before you chuck.
At the end of the day competitive viability is about minimizing risk, you want to be able to deal with every situation and map thrown at you. I'm not saying the Dynamo isn't viable, just including it in your team composition puts the team at risk. It has obvious weaknesses. Exploitable weaknesses that could effectively make the match a 3v4 against certain other team comps. It has a lot of great strengths, but that doesn't automatically make it an amazing weapon in every situation. If you think that risk is worth it, if your team is willing to play to those weaknesses, then use it. Things are only as viable as the tournament meta makes them, playing the Ganondorf of Rollers could be really strong right now. I personally don't think so. That's my opinion.

electraheart

Senior Squid
NNID
howalive
the dynamo can easily take people out and usually has the most kills of the team. from what i remember, it has a pretty good range too

Samura1man

Inkling
NNID
samura1man
Dynamo rollers are viable in competitive tournaments, a strong Dynamo player is smart and probably the scariest opponent you'll face against, along with chargers. The biggest weakness with Dynamo is its slowness, missing obvious kill is a huge mistake you can make alone, if that happens Dynamo player is death, unless opponent doesn't have long range weapon. I cannot see that many weakness for Dynamo, but it's not even close to OP weapons, none of the weapons in a game is OP imo, though players can make them look OP when you watch someone playing with them and they're actually doing extremely well.

Dynamo is good for inking, so in Turf Wars people probably want to have at least one Dynamo that is for inking area, I got no idea is Turf War gonna be in competitive tournaments, probably.

Then ranked modes.

Splat Zones: Really good inking zone, just like inking normally, Gold Dynamo got Inkstrike as a special which can help a bit more. From other rollers I can see Krak-on and Carbon working as well as Dynamos in Splat Zones.

Tower Control: From all of the rollers Dynamos are only good rollers that can go, get the tower and stay on it, thanks to the range, of course Splat Roller got killer wail, then Krak-On has Kraken, but opponents can shoot Kraken down, avoid killed wail and both of those rollers doesn't have good range to take down opponents far away, Carbon has Inkzooka, which is the strongest special in the whole game if you're not aware of opponent having it, but it got nerfed last patch and takes longer to get now, so it's really special, should be used in the right situation and not waste it.

Rainmaker: Normal Dynamo got sprinkler which can help a ton for breaking rainmaker shield, Gold Dynamo works as well, but I see normal Dynamo being better in Rainmaker, only because of Sprinkler, echolocator can help with opponents location before you grab Rainmaker, if you're the one who takes it.

Long text, but that's my view of this, Dynamo rollers are scary in right players hands. ;)

Swoop Man

Senior Squid
NNID
swoopguy
Agosta said everything.

Speaking on behalf of other shooters (cod, bf, etc) this game is also one of the most balanced games I have ever played. Most guns are viable. Ive seen god awful rollers and counter to that, rollers who played like gods. It comes down to team comp and adjusting to enemy game play.

There is no easy pigeon hole-ing in this game.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Most weapons in this game are very dependent on team composition, mode, and map. This isn't like fighting games where it's one on one with fixed characters and stats: there's abilities to take into account, and your team members as well. The dynamo is a great weapon when you find a good way to fit it into your team. The most important part about any weapon is figuring out how you want to use it with your team, and how it works with your team.

PHYTO-1

Pro Squid
NNID
PHYTO-1
if all players were of equal skill, then out of hundreds of battles, there will be weapons that come out on top.

imo yes, the dynamo is viable especially depending on the mode.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
if all players were of equal skill, then out of hundreds of battles, there will be weapons that come out on top.
It all depends on how you define "skill". If we're talking about how a player uses a weapon within its intended role, there would be conflicts with some playstyles, like someone who is extremely good at defending against someone extremely good at attacking (I think it has the potential to end up in one of those "when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" deals). If we're talking about how a player uses any weapon to fit his/her prefered playstyle, then all weapons will have varying degrees of success by design (like trying close range combat-oriented rush tactics with a Jet Squelcher instead of a Roller or a Sploosh-o-matic) :confused:

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I'm not that familiar with Dynamo. I have a basic understanding but nothing beyond the suraface so I'll ask this thread a question I have been pondering. My question is how does the Dynamo stack up against the .96 Gal regular? They have the same kit so the difference is just the main weapons. They have pretty similar max ranges although Dynamo has a shorter effective range (even with damage up) however has the widest spread in the game. I can't tell which is better or if they fill different roles.

D

Deleted Member

Hard-countered by chargers, but it can be a threat. I think its the most useful on Splat Zones

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom