Hybrid Special Weapon Ideas

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Nintendo has had some really good special concepts in the past, but they very often end up ruined by some small (or not small) aspect of their design. I'm going to try and Frankenstein together a few of Nintendo's poorer specials to come up with some truly decent ones.

1. Reefballer
In case it isn't already clear, these names are not to be taken seriously.

I would say this concept is the simplest, but it's really not that simple. I could just say, "it's Reefslider but with steering," but that doesn't tell the full story of this idea. It is Reefslider and it can turn, but it turns slowly, and has to slow down significantly to round corners. It also has much less end lag and a much, much smaller blast radius. It would have a maximum duration of four to five seconds.
We're left with a Reefslider that plays almost identically to Splatoon 2 Baller, but actually poses a threat. A half-decent dive special.

2. Tenta Strikes
Rather than fixing these weapons by fusing their strengths, I'm instead fusing their weaknesses.

Anyone other than Cephalobro remember the Octostriker from Splatoon 1? It was a very cool story mode miniboss that constantly targeted the player with Inkstrikes throughout the level. Well, what if that was a special?
Tenta Strikes fires inkstrikes at up to two enemy players, with its targeting limited to Triple Inkstrike's throwing range. Targeting a single enemy causes both strikes to land at their location, one after the other. The radius of these strikes would be slightly bigger than those of Triple Inkstrike to compensate for the one fewer strike.
Cheesing the objective with Triple Inkstrike becomes much more difficult, while Tenta Missiles can no longer target the entire enemy team with global range. All of the good traits of both specials with much less of the bad.

3. Sting Wail
WAIT. Hear me out.

Sting Ray is easily the most mishandled special in the series. Instead of buffing its damage or turning speed, they buffed its AoE, and then instead of nerfing its range, they nerfed its damage and duration. It could have been good, but it didn't get there. At all. Simply put, I'm starting from scratch with the base version of Sting Ray then fixing the special properly.
That begins with removing its global range. It can have a bit more range than Crab Tank. It would have slightly faster turning speed and retain its reduced damage when fired through walls. The main change, however, is this: When the special ends, or if the user stops firing without entering swim form, they separate from the special as it automatically fires a Killer Wail for two seconds in the direction it was last aiming, with the same radius Sting Ray's shockwaves used to have.
Sting Ray and Killer Wail are both gloriously fixed, finally creating a good laser special that absolutely nobody will hate.

Feel free to come up with ideas of your own below. I hope you think mine are interesting!
And, as always, have a wonderful day.

Yeenom

Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/They
NNID
YeenBeans
Switch Friend Code
SW-6746-0504-4799
Chreef (Lmao) - Reefslider and Super Chumps. The user launches a shark from a distance and when it reaches it's destination it slides and explodes. The opposing team can shoot it to slow it down, which also causes it's explosion to get smaller, to the point that it's basically just the size of vanilla Splashdown.

Splatterbubble Screen - Big Bubbler and Splattercolor Screen. It's just screen but it's destructible and acts as cover (WHICH IS WHAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FROM LAUNCH).

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Splatterbubble Screen - Big Bubbler and Splattercolor Screen. It's just screen but it's destructible and acts as cover (WHICH IS WHAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FROM LAUNCH).
I had that idea myself, but at that point it’s just a glorified Big Bubbler. It could have had its opacity increase and decrease as the enemy and allied teams shot it like Bubble Blower from Splatoon 2, and that could have been cool, but it wasn’t enough on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom