• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

HYPE-AF abilities on Fresh Squiffer (not as hype as advertised)

sammich

Inkling Cadet
recently i started playing a TON of splat roller, and i was having a lot of trouble with the sets i was arranging for myself, but eventually i got the hang of it and came up with a set i really loved. i normally wear either:

:head_ncp003::ability_tenacity:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn: (to charge up my kraken in safety when my team is in trouble)

but on splat roller which inks a lot and has the super-fast-charging killer wail, i changed to:

:head_cap000::ability_bombrange:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:

...pretty much only for style at first, but HOLY FFFF do i love a single bomb range up + suction bombs. i decided to try it on fresh squiffer, and i'm REALLY loving it. they allow me to push enemies out of key areas, temporarily quite snipers, or clear out ledges that are so dangerous for squiffers (because getting in range means you are likely taking damage and likely not going to get the splat).

the only problem is, i'm not able to charge up many krakens without tenacity...

if i sacrifice my shirt, i lose haunt (extremely useful in solo queue, also the bomb range up shirts are ugly or have meh abilities),
but if i sacrifice my shoes, then i'll lose ink res up which keeps me alive in a million different situations i would die in.

so i guess the question is,
how vital/useful are :ability_inkresistance: :ability_tenacity: :ability_bombrange: on fresh squiffer? because i can only have 2/3. (really hoping that ink res up is the natural state in S2)

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I never use Ink Resistance on anything and do just fine so try going without that and see how ya do.

NNID
ac1dac3
Ink res is probably the best out of those three, the amount of movement it actually gives you is pretty big, it's only in enemy ink sure, but there's enemy ink every time someone tries to shoot you or do basically anything near you which I hear enemies will infact do these things a fair bit, as well as random bits of enemy ink that do stupid things to you without ink res, you aren't really at the range of stuff like e-litre/splatterscope that are going to be aiming not be near anything half the time anyway. The reduction in damge over time in enemy ink is also pretty important for not dying to random stuff like single burst bombs half the time. Tenacity isn't bad but probably not something I'd opt to run (I'd probably say the same for bomb range tbf tho), I honestly prefer comeback on fresh squiffer if anything, seeing as it not only gives you special charge, but lets you throw more bombs which is basically the main way you're getting special anyway, movement is nice as well. Haunt is weird and something I never know how to feel about honestly, it's good tho, 'specially for solo. If only bomb range had a brand lol (I'm assuming you aren't editing?). If anything I'd reserve bomb range for certain maps and experiment around with what you can do with it on what maps. What I'd take off for it in those scenarios tho idk, if comeback isn't your thing I'd say bomb range>tenacity, maybe haunt, depends how much value you find in it.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
Ink res is probably the best out of those three, the amount of movement it actually gives you is pretty big, it's only in enemy ink sure, but there's enemy ink every time someone tries to shoot you or do basically anything near you which I hear enemies will infact do these things a fair bit, as well as random bits of enemy ink that do stupid things to you without ink res, you aren't really at the range of stuff like e-litre/splatterscope that are going to be aiming not be near anything half the time anyway. The reduction in damge over time in enemy ink is also pretty important for not dying to random stuff like single burst bombs half the time. Tenacity isn't bad but probably not something I'd opt to run (I'd probably say the same for bomb range tbf tho), I honestly prefer comeback on fresh squiffer if anything, seeing as it not only gives you special charge, but lets you throw more bombs which is basically the main way you're getting special anyway, movement is nice as well. Haunt is weird and something I never know how to feel about honestly, it's good tho, 'specially for solo. If only bomb range had a brand lol (I'm assuming you aren't editing?). If anything I'd reserve bomb range for certain maps and experiment around with what you can do with it on what maps. What I'd take off for it in those scenarios tho idk, if comeback isn't your thing I'd say bomb range>tenacity, maybe haunt, depends how much value you find in it.
yeah i was just playing more ranked and i noticed it's not just against shooters, but having the slightest motion in enemy ink gives you an edge against other chargers (or at least doesn't put you at a disadvantage). one of the tactics i do in dogfights against fellow chargers is inking the ground around them a little bit so their range of motion is cut down (unless they have burst bombs lol ;-; ), and not having ink res in a similar situation would ensure death.

i run tenacity because in fights where i'm doing well enough but my teammates are flubbing (i.e. fights i feel like i SHOULD win but can't), i get a lot more kraken, which helps me get wipes or close enough. i actually noticed i tend to get more krakens with tenacity than i do with special charge up.

bomb range i'm getting a lot out of so far. it's not as good as it is on splat roller, but it's great that with just one main of bomb range up, i'm able to reach a lot of these areas i normally have to get uncomfortably close to to reach. it especially helps with messy ledge-based stages like blackbelly and flounder heights (the latter of which is normally my worst stage but last night i was able to have some level of control over). it might not be the best but for now it's treating me well.

-- i actually forgot comeback was an ability >_> , which is dumb of me but up until recently i was adamantly sticking to the squidvader cap for style as kind of a trademark of my squid. --

haunt is ... well, if i had voice chat and a squad i would drop it, but until then..

(i don't edit, so i'm totally screwed when it comes to getting bomb range up on anything that doesn't main it :/ )

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
What's your whole setup look like? I'm running something like this::ability_quickrespawn::ability_inksavermain::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_inkresistance: I forget which were mains and which were subs, but you get the idea... And I'm more of a TW player. Been maining Squiffers since day one though.

Explanation of my set:
Ink res is ink res. I remember seeing you around here since launch... You should know how good it is on Squiffers by now.

Quick Respawn is Quick Respawn. Probably the most used ability in ranked right now, and for good reasons. Also basically a requirement on offensive weapons/playstyles... I find myself dying a lot, especially on bad rounds. Dunno about you but myself I have really high fluctuations in K/D ratios, mostly because the weapon requires you to play really well to do well. For similar reasons I wouldn't bring Tenacity, but if it's really working that well for you then IDK.

Swim speed is important for me because I'm a cheeky little b**** lol. Being able to run away in a flash, even directly into enemy territory at times, has proven to be insanely useful. The Squiffers put down solid lines of ink which you can use to get places quickly, and this makes it even better. Being able to outrun people completely is also a pretty big advantage...

Ink saver main is the ability I'm least committed to. In TWs I end up doing a lot of inking, and a full tank of ink with ink saver is usually pretty close to getting me a Kraken. I find it to be pretty hard to run out of ink with it, though there's probably better abilities to go with instead... Bomb range is something I've been considering, or another quick respawn. Haven't tried bomb range though so I can't comment on it.

Running speed is another ability I really love on the Squiffers, but I'm not sure if it's because I play TWs so much or not... If you want to paint turf optimally you normally need to shoot at a particular pace so you don't overlap too much. One run speed lets you shoot faster, but two lets you mash as fast as you can and still covers things well. Well actually I'm pretty sure you have to not run full tilt if you want to cover turf properly because I think I'm short a running speed sub... With two of these and ink res it feels like you're immune to enemy ink. It helps in a ton of areas... You can strafe better, you can corner peek better, obviously you can run on uninkable surfaces better... Myself I always pack one at least with Squiffers.

I feel like the simplest solution to your problem besides save editing is to give up tenacity and put some special charge subs on something.

spoxbox

Full Squid
NNID
Spoxbox
Been playing Squiffer for a long, long time, and I can tell you that ink resistance is almost required. The squiffer is the only charger that has to seriously put itself in harm's way to get anything done, meaning that enemy ink is going to get under you at some point. And since you can't ink your feet very well, you'll likely be struggling for a bit before you can get out of it.

Bomb range is decent on the Fresh squiffer, incredible on the classic squiffer, and useless on the new squiffer. Tenacity on squiffer is ok i guess. With the Fresh Squiffer i actually prefer a main of special charge, (which is more consistent than tenacity) for the kraken since i feel the biggest weakness of the weapon is being ambushed. (This is where Classic Squiffer's point sensors come into play.)

Last edited:

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
Although I really don't know much about Fresh Squiffer, I do know that you want Ink Res on it. The fact that a) you're using a Squiffer, and that b) it's solo queue, there's going to be nobody on your team painting a whole bunch. Ink Resistance may not save you from losing a game, but it does keep stupidly large amounts of damage off of you and makes enemies watching their map unable to see you (even if you have over 29.9 damage on you). Or so I've heard that that's true (speaking of which, if it is, WHY don't more people mention that when talking about Ink Res? It's actually INSTRUMENTAL!!!). So you're going to be able to move around the map much more freely and without people being able to see you as easily or as often.

If you really want to keep Tenacity, sure, I guess (it's a weird choice on Squiffer imo, but if it gets you specials, keep it by all means). At that point, you might want to consider getting rid of Haunt. It's a helpful ability in solo-queue, it basically gives you a weaker Echo if you die, and you get boosts from it. But while it may seem to be very helpful in showing your team where opponents are if your teammates don't have the capabilities to do that themselves (I.e., your comp doesn't have an Echo weapon (and most won't, because again, it's solo-queue) ), there's no actual guarantee that someone on your team is going to kill the guy. This is also why Point Sensors aren't good; they show you where someone is, but just because you tracked a guy doesn't really mean it's any easier to take him/her down. Also, the boosts it gives you are pretty lackluster and don't really help that much.

tl;dr: keep Ink Res/Tenacity, ditch Haunt, get Bomb Range. But that's just my suggestion.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
Although I really don't know much about Fresh Squiffer, I do know that you want Ink Res on it. The fact that a) you're using a Squiffer, and that b) it's solo queue, there's going to be nobody on your team painting a whole bunch. Ink Resistance may not save you from losing a game, but it does keep stupidly large amounts of damage off of you and makes enemies watching their map unable to see you (even if you have over 29.9 damage on you). Or so I've heard that that's true (speaking of which, if it is, WHY don't more people mention that when talking about Ink Res? It's actually INSTRUMENTAL!!!). So you're going to be able to move around the map much more freely and without people being able to see you as easily or as often.

If you really want to keep Tenacity, sure, I guess (it's a weird choice on Squiffer imo, but if it gets you specials, keep it by all means). At that point, you might want to consider getting rid of Haunt. It's a helpful ability in solo-queue, it basically gives you a weaker Echo if you die, and you get boosts from it. But while it may seem to be very helpful in showing your team where opponents are if your teammates don't have the capabilities to do that themselves (I.e., your comp doesn't have an Echo weapon (and most won't, because again, it's solo-queue) ), there's no actual guarantee that someone on your team is going to kill the guy. This is also why Point Sensors aren't good; they show you where someone is, but just because you tracked a guy doesn't really mean it's any easier to take him/her down. Also, the boosts it gives you are pretty lackluster and don't really help that much.

tl;dr: keep Ink Res/Tenacity, ditch Haunt, get Bomb Range. But that's just my suggestion.
i did ditch haunt about a year ago for more run speed, but my consistency in solo queue fell and i recently went back on it. part of that was probably just being very stressed at work and exhausted when i come home, but in general it (and point sensors for that matter) have been useful for me (point sensors if not only because my accuracy goes ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ when my opponents are tagged).

i knew ink res was necessary, but i'm always still hoping someone would come in one day and convince me it isn't XD.
i really don't like how utterly necessary it is, heavily limiting my shoe options (but i guess even if ink res is back in S2 at least abilities are no longer tied).

i ditched tenacity. lo and behold barely any difference. :p

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hm? Huh? Wha? Whats going on? Squiffer??? I like those.
My typical fresh squiffer set

:ability_lastditcheffort:/:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:ability_swimspeed:/:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
:ability_inkresistance::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_defenseup:

If I wanted to min max I'd swap out :ability_lastditcheffort: for :ability_specialduration: ,:ability_inkrecovery:, or more :ability_swimspeed: (and obviously, swap that rogue :ability_defenseup: out for more:ability_swimspeed:)
:ability_bombrange: could also help on some maps (triggerfish, moray, etc.)

All's I really change between squiffers is the shirt ( :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialduration: or :ability_specialsaver: for classic, :ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed: or :ability_coldblooded: for new)

spoxbox

Full Squid
NNID
Spoxbox
Here's my builds btw

Classic Squiffer
:ability_runspeed:/:ability_runspeed::ability_bombrange::ability_runspeed:
:ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:ability_inkresistance::ability_swimspeed::ability_bombrange::ability_swimspeed:

Fresh Squiffer

:ability_runspeed:/:ability_runspeed::ability_bombrange::ability_runspeed:
:ability_specialcharge:/:ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_specialcharge:
:ability_inkresistance:/:ability_swimspeed::ability_bombrange::ability_swimspeed:

Let me say Spyke was VERY unforgiving in rolling the shirt for that Fresh Squiffer build. He ate up 4 million of my cash easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom