• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I’m convinced

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
I’m convinced this game does not let you succeed past a certain point.

I just got a 7 game winning streak. One would think that eventually you’d lose. Maybe a couple. And then win again. And then lose, so on. But no. I’m convinced this game sets you up for failure after doing so well because I just lost as many games in a row as I’ve won.

Normally I’d chalk this up to bad luck. But when every. Single. God. Damn. Streak is offset by an equally or comparable sized opposite streak, there has to be something going on.

It’s like the game goes oh the player is doing well we have to knock them back down till their frustration causes them to stop playing. I mean wtf.

Kamliee

Inkling
If you find yourself losing too much, just take a break; it's usually related to stress. I get angry about this too and if I lose too many matches in a row I just take a little breather. Eat a snack, stretch, something other than playing Splatoon. You don't play as well when you're stressed, and I think that's what's happening with you here.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
When the game notices you've been doing consistently better they will throw you into higher level lobbies and then if you can't win in those higher level lobbies within a few games it'll put you back. Anything after getting sent back is just frustration and bad luck.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
You do well, your Splat Power goes up. Your Splat Power goes up, you get matched with better players (assuming you or other people drop out of your queue). You get matched with better player, you're more likely to lose.

Same applies in the opposite direction.

Simple, really. At least in Turf Wars.

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
If you find yourself losing too much, just take a break; it's usually related to stress. I get angry about this too and if I lose too many matches in a row I just take a little breather. Eat a snack, stretch, something other than playing Splatoon. You don't play as well when you're stressed, and I think that's what's happening with you here.
This isn’t it. It’s not that I’m frustrated from losing (I mean I am) but it’s more about the fact that the ensuing losing streak is a construct of the game. Turning it off and coming back isn’t going to reset the streak if it’s based on my recent w/l ratio.

But how does the game decide how many you lose before keeping you in the power level? By that logic each game I won in succession raised me up and up and up in power level until it put me in a rank I couldn’t win. But if that were the case why did I lose so many consecutive games? I should have lost one or two and then won a few here and there. During those losses I wasn’t even playing poorly. I mean maybe a bit more than when I was winning but as far as what I could have done for the team my stats weren’t bad.

It’s such a weird system. Is this only in turf?

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
Normally I’d chalk this up to bad luck. But when every. Single. God. Damn. Streak is offset by an equally or comparable sized opposite streak, there has to be something going on.
Very similar experience for me in ranked. If I check my wins in splatnet, I am forever cycling between 20 & 30. Once I'm around 20, I start racking up lots of wins. My opponents often have lower ranks than me at this time. I'm also more likely to get a really good player who carries me at this point. Once I'm around 30 wins though, I start getting crushed over and over again. Like, not close matches; I mean matches where my team is wiped several times, and if we're not knocked out early (very likely), we're just barely hanging on the entire time. It usually comes down to whichever team was lucky enough to get one or more S+40-50 range players, and it seems like the matchmaking is dead set on always putting them on whichever team I am NOT on. That is, at least until I get back down to around 20 wins again...

Why do I enjoy this game again? Sometimes I have no idea :). I want to improve, but it often feels there are only 2 types of matches with nothing in between: you're either stomping them, or you're the one getting stomped. I wish there were more close matches. Hopefully the upcoming Rank X will improve this a bit, who knows?

Last edited:

Kise Ryota

Inkster Jr.
I'm convinced of it too, except that I hardly win so many matches in a row. But I can lose like 7 in a row surely. It happened yesterday. When the server starts to put me with bad teammates, no matter what, I already know what is about to happen. So I have two choices: 1 - I give up straight away and go play anything else or 2 - I insist and inevitably lose ranking. Then things will back to normal. This is ridiculous. I mean, it's very unlikely to be randomly put in the loser team 7 matches in a row, and when will finally drop your rank you're matched with better players.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom