• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I absolutely suck *** at Splat Zones

NNID
mrpoetatoebadger
I'm so stressed right now. As you can guess from the title, I'm complete trash in Splat Zones. Today, I went from an A minus to C. I dominate in every other game mode. I do very well in Tower Control, and I absolutely dominate in Rainmaker. I do very well in Turf War, but that's not ranked. I carry my team in most modes, but I feel like I drag it down in Splat Zones.

I know that I'm not just getting unlucky with bad teams, I guarantee you that I'm the reason we're losing. My failure in Splat Zones is the reason I even decided to visit the weapons shop. Up until today, I have never even gone into the weapons shop (holy ****, the shopkeeper talked for ages, I was a level 19). I've been using the Splattershot Jr this whole time (tbh, I think it's a really underrated weapon set) I had over 200,000 coins to spend, so I bought a few of each weapon type (what was reccomended by other players) and still had like 160,000. I tested each weapon in Turf War a few times, then went into ranked. Proceeded to lose...

Now I'm back to C rank, and I'm sick and tired of it. I don't want to just not play splat zones when it's on. I've only won a game of Splat Zones once or twice, where in other game modes I hardly ever lose. What can I do to improve?

OmegaExcalibur~

Inkling
NNID
NaughtyPotatoowo
You should try to train with other weapons and not just the Splattershot Jr. Maybe Chargers or Rollers would be a good start? Try to find a weapon that fits you well, other than the Splattershot Jr. After a week or two of training with that specific weapon, go in Ranked with it. If you lose, try a few more days with that weapon. Keep training until you get good at that specific weapon. Being good with a variety of weapons is a very good thing.

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
Ironically, I find focusing on killing over covering territory to be more useful during Splat Zones. Once the zone is covered up, you don't need to cover territory, just focus on making sure it stays that way by repelling enemy fire.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Wow, you've managed to stick with the Jr. the whole time? Wow, that's amazing!

Why not start with Rollers/Blasters/N'Zaps and their ilk? They all don't have marvelous range like the jr. but they deal great damage. Any weps with sprinkler/inkstrike are good for zones as they can safely secure zones without much trouble, imo. Bubbler is a hard special to replace, though

BluEyes

Senior Squid
I dont think you are bad. A- puts you above most people. You might want to try the splattershot pro or the .96 gal.

NNID
mrpoetatoebadger
Thank you for the advice so far everyone! I really appreciate it, I think these will help. If anyone out there still has advice, please feel free to share.

Maikeru

Inkling
I use the Luna Blaster in Splat Zones and I find it works pretty well. It does the little ink explosions when you shoot it which takes down other squids pretty fast. After I capture the Splat Zone, I always place an Inkmine in it in a spot where people always walk. Then I just go ahead and take the other team down as they are trying to recap it.

So tl;dr, maybe try the Luna Blaster and see if you like it?

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Why not start with Rollers/Blasters/N'Zaps and their ilk? They all don't have marvelous range like the jr. but they deal great damage. Any weps with sprinkler/inkstrike are good for zones as they can safely secure zones without much trouble, imo. Bubbler is a hard special to replace, though
The N'ZAP's have better range than the jr and and similar damage output.

As for advice, I think the Splash-o-matic is great for Splat Zones, it may not spread as much as the jr, but suction bomb rush is great for knocking a zone out of enemy control

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
To me, I feel like certain loadouts suit me well when I'm playing certain game types. For example, if I se that Splat Zones is the ranked battle at the time, I will use a class that has Ink Strike, most of the time. Especially when it's on Moray Tower, which is surprisingly now my favorite Splat Zones map. When on Moray Tower, there were multiple times where I was able to capture zones solely with an Ink Strike. A lot of the times I'll put an Ink Strike down and rush that area to further secure it to acquire more points. This is a little map specific here, I'm just saying, Ink Strike are beautiful in Splat Zones since they can neutralize zones and prevent zones from being captured if you're quick enough with your super while it's being capture by the enemy team, and if you have it of course.

I love Tower Control as well, but again, these game types are class specific to me. Like I said, I like Ink Strike classes for Splat Zones (my favorite ranked battle type) which can consist of the N Zap '89, 52 Gal, Dynamo Roller, etc. When it comes to Tower Control, I prefer to use clothing that gives me a faster respawn and ninja jump, as well as, using highly offensive loadouts such as the Tentatek. Suction Bombs and Inkzooka do some much work.

As for Rainmaker, I haven't played it much to experiment, but in conclusion, the only advice I can really give is to practice the many map when it comes to Splat Zones, play with friends and communicate, and try different loadouts and clothing specificly to benefit that game type. Practice makes perfect, cliche, I know, but it's true. I used to suck at ranked in general until that was all I played. Now, I gained a lot of knowledge from the maps, how they change from game type to game type, and the common strategies used by other players. Knowledge is key. I wish the best of luck to you ;3!

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
Well, the best advice I can give for Splat Zones is to focus on early game. If you can get the zone(s) early, you are in an extremely advantageous situation, especially on the 5 starter maps. DO NOT DIE during the first push.

Advantages:
1. If you run up and kill someone, lets say that E-Liter dude harrasing your team, and die in the process, your opponent can simply and safely super jump to a team mate., while you just have to attack again via swimming.
2. High Ground.
3. Inked turf advantage. More defensive options for someone in their own ink.
etc.

Once the opponent has the Splat Zone(s), they can either harass you and spawn camp you, or just camp it out. When put in such a disadvantageous situation, your specials are the only things that can help you. The SSJ isn't great for this game type because splat zones is generally defensive. You're going to get out ranged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom