• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I ATE MARIE: The weirdest foods thread

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
In this thread post the strangest foods you've ever eaten.

While this food is not really the strangest ever, and is actually pretty common in Japan, I ate firefly squid for the first time last night. As you may know, in the Japanese version of Splatoon, Marie is named after this squid (hotaru ika). I struggled with bearing the burden of consuming her namesake for a good few seconds before plopping it into my mouth. I was deeply conflicted. To grub or not to grub....... I chose to grub.

And it was delicious. Thank you, Marie. Your sacrifice was not in vain.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
HAHA, well... I didnt even realize it until now but I've been eating lots of callies this whole time... she is named after the common squid used in most dishes....... RIP squid sisters 2k16
and calamari?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
That firefly squid looks quite appetizing, not gonna lie. I wonder if there's anywhere local that makes them...

As for the the "weirdest" thing I've ever eaten... probably the frog legs I had on a cruise a few years ago. Truth be told, they tasted like chicken.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
That firefly squid looks quite appetizing, not gonna lie. I wonder if there's anywhere local that makes them...

As for the the "weirdest" thing I've ever eaten... probably the frog legs I had on a cruise a few years ago. Truth be told, they tasted like chicken.
Compared to most squid I've had, it was very soft and easy to chew (not that I dont enjoy the texture of squid--I really love it). And also very acidic (in a good way) thanks to the vinegar-ish sauce it was prepared in.

One time I ate the kinda claw-like "mouth" of a squid (I'm not sure what the proper name is for this). I have to say, it was very strange, because I was instructed to bite into the claw-like bit to crack it, then take it out of my mouth to chew the insides of it. It was a very sharp and crunchy outer shell, but inside was the softest part of the squid. I dont know, it was good but a little inconvenient imo.

Frog legs, if I remember correctly, did actually taste similar to chicken. The one time I had them they were very greasy, but I liked it.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
Compared to most squid I've had, it was very soft and easy to chew (not that I dont enjoy the texture of squid--I really love it). And also very acidic (in a good way) thanks to the vinegar-ish sauce it was prepared in.

One time I ate the kinda claw-like "mouth" of a squid (I'm not sure what the proper name is for this). I have to say, it was very strange, because I was instructed to bite into the claw-like bit to crack it, then take it out of my mouth to chew the insides of it. It was a very sharp and crunchy outer shell, but inside was the softest part of the squid. I dont know, it was good but a little inconvenient imo.

Frog legs, if I remember correctly, did actually taste similar to chicken. The one time I had them they were very greasy, but I liked it.
beak? maybe that is why Squid Beakon is spelled the way it is?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Vinegar?... eh, that's a bit off-putting. Is it overpowering?
I have a weird-ish relationship with squid. There were the squid arms, which were pretty good, being delightfully chewy. Then there was the squid sushi, which was... less delectable. A bit like eating a big fruit gusher, but without the fruit flavoring. Not sure I'd try that again. Then there's calamari, which is always welcome (provided I can stomach fried stuff at the time).

Yeah, like モモコ said, that definitely sounds like the squid beak. I for one had no idea those were edible, though. Nor would I expect it to actually be chewable.

I remember I was more disappointed by their size, which in hindsight I should've expected from an appetizer. I don't remember them being greasy... then again, it's been a long time since I've had them. And I bet I'd be hard-pressed to find a place that cooks them. (Sure, they have 'em at the county fairs, but they only ever come deep-fried there.)

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Vinegar?... eh, that's a bit off-putting. Is it overpowering?
I have a weird-ish relationship with squid. There were the squid arms, which were pretty good, being delightfully chewy. Then there was the squid sushi, which was... less delectable. A bit like eating a big fruit gusher, but without the fruit flavoring. Not sure I'd try that again. Then there's calamari, which is always welcome (provided I can stomach fried stuff at the time).
Its not overpowering at all. I thought it was a very balanced flavor. Japan excels in flavor subtlety in my opinion. If anything theres often less seasoning/flavor than my palate is accustomed to when I eat japanese food, but in this case it was perfect imo.

I agree with the squid sushi. I definitely gravitate toward others. xD I love fried squid rings as well as the ones you mentioned.

Yeah, like モモコ said, that definitely sounds like the squid beak. I for one had no idea those were edible, though. Nor would I expect it to actually be chewable.
You cant chew the actual beak, but you crack it open and eat what's inside of it. I didnt know they were edible either until one of my co-workers put it in my face and said eat it. xD

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I see. I must admit I'm not quite familiar with Japanese cuisine (teriyaki bowls and sushi aside), and the one person I know who's been to Japan said she avoided eating the local stuff there, on account of it being "too weird."

...so I think that gives me a good inkling of where I should go for alien-looking dishes. Now if only I had the money to afford a trip there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom