I can't deal with chargers at all!

Silverzapper

Inkling
NNID
Silverzapper
I don't know what to do. Every time there is an enemy charger (which is most of the time) they set up and make it impossible for me to move forward. So when I want to actually do something instead of sit around at base for the whole match I end up dying about 80% of the time.
It has become so bad that it's almost impossible to enjoy this game anymore. If this keeps up i'm just selling it.

BTW I play turf war so please tell me strategies for that.

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
Use cold blooded so you can't be tracked.
Keep in mind where they are and avoid those areas. Don't stick together with other teammates. Avoid looking down (if using a roller). And last but not least learn to kill them :)

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
What weapons do you use in Splatoon? It's a bit hard to give more concrete advice since the way to approach snipers can definitely vary from weapon to weapon.

The one piece of advice that I can give that is fairly universal is to move quickly. Many snipers actually don't have the best aim when their opponent is moving quickly and darting around in the ink. Try to get close to the sniper. It becomes very hard for most snipers to hit an opponent who is close to them - especially if the opponent is nearly underneath the ledge that they are standing on.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I agree with Airi. Without stating what weapon (s) you use, it's a bit hard to give a good strategy.

As a fellow Charger main myself, I can tell you that mobility is always key. Never stay in one spot or walk in inkling form when confronted with us. That just helps us gain an easier shot. Switching between inkling and squid form while moving around will usually always catch us off guard. My aim is steady, and even I have trouble aiming if my opponents move around a lot (just don't be predictable with your movement).

Going against chargers myself, some aren't always aware of their surroundings. Can't tell you how many times I've snuck up behind enemy chargers and splatted them. If they're focused on your teammates, you have a better chance at maneuvering around them and/or splatting them. Try and always pay attention to see which chargers your opponents are using before the match begins, so you know how out of range you have to stay. The Eliter 3k is much harder to avoid because of its massive range, but stay mobile and even they will have trouble getting you.

Yes, we aren't really good close range, but be careful while approaching as well. I've splatted plenty of people for underestimating me up close, or not seeing that I have my special and get splatted by my bomb rush, or just a good placed splat bomb. So even when close, be sort of wary. When confronted, we have the choice of either retreating, trying to fully charge splat you, or harass you with uncharged shots (which can still splat you if we hit you a decent amount of times).

When echolator is activated...please don't try to sneak around us or anything as we can clearly see you. Use cold blooded to shorten the time it's on you, or just stay out of our range as when even in squid form and hiding in ink, we can still track you down. Hiding under the ledges we're on, we usually can't reach you without moving, or throwing a bomb, so you're free to harass us from there until we retreat and back off, or you splat us.

Also, be sure to not solely focus your attention on chargers, or you just may get splatted by our teammates more than us as your view is completely on us, and not your surroundings.

Didn't mean to make this post so long...but I hope this helps you even a little bit.

Silverzapper

Inkling
NNID
Silverzapper
I don't know how I forgot to say that. I main the Inkbrush and the Aerospray. I use the N-ZAP 89 on maps where seekers don't work very well and Inkbrush is getting old.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
It's vital to check which weapons your enemy team has at the start of the game, especially if they have chargers. If they do have them, keep track of where they hang out and stay out of their sight behind cover. Keep in mind Aero RG, Inkbrushes and N-Zap '98 have no reliable options to take out chargers, and will be at a disadvantage against them. Inkzooka can quickly take them out while subs like Splash Wall provide cover, and weapons like the Jet squelchers/Splatlings have enough range to reach them on their own.

On the other hand, Turf War is notorious for having wonky matchmaking, so it could be just that. Ranked is a whole lot more fair in that aspect.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Yeah, it is tough to get to chargers with short range weapons. The MG has seekers and inkzooka to get to them from afar, so if you are using the MG be sure to charge the inkzooka as soon as possible. Wait until the sniper is looking at another person then blast him.

Likewise, with the inkbrush/Nzap, you can charge your inkstrike and push snipers off their perches. It won't often splat them, but it will give you time to get into a better position. The NZap is more midrange, so you can more easily get into a flank position and take them out.

Many snipers use peeking, dragging, and flicking techniques. This means they won't necessarily be looking exactly where they intend to snipe. They do this to surprise people who are expecting the laser: they aim at a wall then peek/drag/flick the reticle out to the enemy when they come into view. What you can do to avoid this is to take note of common sniper perches, then look around at them when you are out of range/behind a wall, to see if the sniper is waiting for someone with their laser hidden. If they do, go around a different way, or wait for them to use their shot and try to approach.

Also, to reiterate, be erratic with your movements and don't jump. It makes it harder to hit you.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
Likewise, with the inkbrush/Nzap, you can charge your inkstrike and push snipers off their perches. It won't often splat them, but it will give you time to get into a better position. The NZap is more midrange, so you can more easily get into a flank position and take them out.
If you put the inkstrike behind the charger you can force them to jump off their perch straight down to you. I've killed a lot of chargers with the Inkbrush by doing that xD

Sprinklers are also a great why to distract chargers, if you throw it next to them they are forced to spend a second or so destroying it.

_AlmostCool_

Inkling
I don't know what to do. Every time there is an enemy charger (which is most of the time) they set up and make it impossible for me to move forward. So when I want to actually do something instead of sit around at base for the whole match I end up dying about 80% of the time.
It has become so bad that it's almost impossible to enjoy this game anymore. If this keeps up i'm just selling it.

BTW I play turf war so please tell me strategies for that.
I use many chargers so I know what is difficult for me to counter. Try using ninja squid and move a round lots. If you have a splash wall, use it when you get up close to defend yourself and in general, try to outsmart them. What would you do if you were a charger being confronted by somebody else?

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I feel your pain, chargers can be horrible to deal with especially if you're a short range/close combat weapon user, which it sounds like you sometimes are. If you're using the vanilla Inkbrush, you unfortunately won't have many options for approaching chargers unless you can use an alternate route wisely and go onto the perch for a flank. Chargers can be a huge nuisance, but their perch locations can be predictable and some of them are in serious trouble if you're able to get close, especially with a brush or roller. When you're already in sight, personally, I've been mostly successful in speed-inking in a zigzag motion towards them, since particularly with E-Liters and their narrow viewfinder, your brush speed can overwhelm their limited visibility and maneuverability. This can sometimes result in a trade kill if they've already readied a shot, but when it works it's awesome. But don't just waltz right up to them or flail ink in one spot within their view, you'll be a sitting duck.

As for N-Zaps & Aerosprays, they're pressure-oriented and chargers sadly don't always respond to pressure unless you've reached their perch or are using a longer ranged sub. Inkstrikes, however, are a great Special for taking out or at least pushing back chargers from their perches, no matter where you're at. There are definitely certain stages where it feels like chargers have a massive advantage (and sometimes they do), but your best bet is really just to know your alternate routes and options for closing in and staying out of sight. Abilities like Ninja Squid or Swim Speed Up can also give chargers a much harder time tracking you down.

Worst case, if you still have trouble after trying these options you really might just want to go for different types of weapons depending on the mode/stage. Speedy melee weapon users tend to think that they're at a disadvantage against chargers, but the reality is in many situations it's the other way around. You just have to learn options for stealthiness and closing in. That being said, it's safest to run a set that has more versatile subs/abilities so you aren't relying exclusively on extreme close combat (a la Inkbrush Nouveau).

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Just remember, they're more scared of you than you are of them.

Short range weapons struggle with fighting snipers if they are in a position you can't climb up to. Best thing I know is to throw a sprinker up where they are perched. It will annoy them enough that they'll either move or shoot it. If they shoot it, throw another up there just to troll them. You might try out the Octobrush Nouveu. It has Splat Bombs. Toss one of those in their laps and they'll run from their perch like their *** is on fire.

You may consider using a "sniper killer" weapon like the Squelch or Gal. That way, if you keep getting pit against chargers, you have a weapon you're somewhat comfortable with to fight back. As always, keep an eye out on where they are looking and try to stay out of their FoV cone. Yes, they can look through their peripheral vision, but they can only see so far without actually turning. You can also try staying out of their range. If they are perched on the left side of the map, focus on the right side until you can flank them. And lastly, don't forget teamwork. Snipers don't like being the center of attention. If you introduce the rest of your team to them, I'm sure that will make their day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom