I don't see a FFA mode working in Splatoon given the circumstances.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
There's only two spawn points so they would literally have to add six more spawn points on every map and not to mention it kind of goes against the unique gameplay Splatoon offers that other shooters don't which is territory control.

Now it doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun at all but I just don't see it happening anytime soon in the near future.

P.S. I'm talking about FFA Deathmatch just so we're clear.

ArcEmpyreus

Creative Consultant
Silly CM2, If they were to create a FFA/Team Splatmatch you create an arena that can be changed with little blow up walls and such, and/or have a few different layouts that change every time it's played. the game weighs spawns based on enemy location, and also tries and spawns allies near eachother (at the closest spawn) not that it matters with Squid Jump (but that would reveal your position)

For FFA it picks the spawn without anyone near it OR up the amount of spawns to 10 circling the outside of the map, there will always bee a spawn without someone on it that way. Cincle it's a circular map design everything so it flows in a circle.

So your point still stands than no FFA/TSM will be added on the current maps. but it would be boss in a specialized map.

There HAVE been variations of FFA territory control (modded King of the Hill in UT, variations of Odd Man Out/Mutant, etc.), but, yes, as with Arc said, it'd need modified maps - less two-way symmetry.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I firmly think FFA won't work in Splatoon at all because certain weapons are based around providing support to your team or attack from a distance, and they'd be of much less use in a solo firefight (ex. chargers). It'd just mean everyone will have more reasons for only picking Tentatek.

Seeing 8 different colors in one match would be rad, though.

ArcEmpyreus

Creative Consultant
I firmly think FFA won't work in Splatoon at all because certain weapons are based around providing support to your team or attack from a distance, and they'd be of much less use in a solo firefight (ex. chargers). It'd just mean everyone will have more reasons for only picking Tentatek.

Seeing 8 different colors in one match would be rad, though.
So you're telling me when I play a ffa match I'm not allowed to pick a weapon that's good for ffa matches? Even then you play to your strengths in a match. If I pick a charger, I'm going to play like I'm using a carger, not a roller. So I guess I'm not allowed to use blasters for tower control or weappns with the kraken for rainmaker. I guess I don't understand your concerns.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
So you're telling me when I play a ffa match I'm not allowed to pick a weapon that's good for ffa matches? Even then you play to your strengths in a match. If I pick a charger, I'm going to play like I'm using a carger, not a roller. So I guess I'm not allowed to use blasters for tower control or weappns with the kraken for rainmaker. I guess I don't understand your concerns.
No, the problem here is that in games that have FFA you're allowed to pick up multiple weapons, and with good reason. In FPS games snipers might be good at long range but when the firefight is up close, sniper rifles are not helping so you can change that by switching to a shotgun or something. Splatoon works by giving players different roles, and chargers just work in this case because there's allies who ink turf for you and usually keep enemy players at a safe distance giving you a chance to mitigate your weapon's weaknesses. And remember that in splatoon you'll get splatted allmost instantly from anything, you can learn your weaknesses but if you can't do anything about them it doesn't matter.

The reason why i'm bringing up Tentateks is because the weapon itself is known for being extremely versatile. If you go solo without the ability to switch weapons, you'd want to have a weapon that's good on all fronts and the Tentatek is exactly just that. Blasters, on the other hand become extremely useless because they can't ink fast enough to create enough space for movement. If the enemy has a weapon that outranges your roller, tough luck you're gonna get hard-countered every time. Chargers are the same in this regard, without friendly ink and support they can't stop enemies fast enough and become sitting ducks. Knowing now that enemy ink should be coated over no matter what since it's much more likely to have enemies in it. You can argue to remove the ink mechanic entirely but then it wouldn't be Splatoon anymore.
And that's not even getting into team-specific abilities, ex. Echolocator and Tenacity. FFA just won't work, especially not with 8 players.

You'd have to take so many things apart about Splatoon just to make FFA possible that it's allmost an entirely different game. The closest you'll get it is going 1 vs 1 in a private match.

ArcEmpyreus

Creative Consultant
No, the problem here is that in games that have FFA you're allowed to pick up multiple weapons, and with good reason. In FPS games snipers might be good at long range but when the firefight is up close, sniper rifles are not helping so you can change that by switching to a shotgun or something. Splatoon works by giving players different roles, and chargers just work in this case because there's allies who ink turf for you and usually keep enemy players at a safe distance giving you a chance to mitigate your weapon's weaknesses. And remember that in splatoon you'll get splatted allmost instantly from anything, you can learn your weaknesses but if you can't do anything about them it doesn't matter.

The reason why i'm bringing up Tentateks is because the weapon itself is known for being extremely versatile. If you go solo without the ability to switch weapons, you'd want to have a weapon that's good on all fronts and the Tentatek is exactly just that. Blasters, on the other hand become extremely useless because they can't ink fast enough to create enough space for movement. If the enemy has a weapon that outranges your roller, tough luck you're gonna get hard-countered every time. Chargers are the same in this regard, without friendly ink and support they can't stop enemies fast enough and become sitting ducks. Knowing now that enemy ink should be coated over no matter what since it's much more likely to have enemies in it. You can argue to remove the ink mechanic entirely but then it wouldn't be Splatoon anymore.
And that's not even getting into team-specific abilities, ex. Echolocator and Tenacity. FFA just won't work, especially not with 8 players.

You'd have to take so many things apart about Splatoon just to make FFA possible that it's allmost an entirely different game. The closest you'll get it is going 1 vs 1 in a private match.
Seperate game modes will naturally develop different metas. No not all weapons wll be viable in ffa. Not to mention all you're doing is taking the current mechanics and placing them in a situation where they're all evenly against eachother. This is a different mode so you adjust the map/match accordingly. Add places chargers can easily get to but not others, add things that rollers can break quicker than others, add special events that change the tide of the battle such as a rainstorm that washes away all ink that isn't covered. There's an incredible amount of ways to create it so it's fun.

But don't deny it the chance to form it's own meta. Yeah all rounders may be popular, but that doesn't mean they'll be the only thing played. Yud be surprised how well players do in face of a challenge.alternatively have Neautral ink in the lowest Layer anyone can swim in but at a reduced speed and big splashes. There's a crazy amount of creative ways to solve the problems you brought up so "just won't work" is just not true.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
If people want a free-for-all, it's probably best to turn towards the system of the Battle Dojo. Yes, that one-on-one Balloon Battle game that nobody seems to like. Notice a few things about it; you respawn at random positions on the map, you pick up upgrades and special moves from power-ups, and splatting is given an obvious reward. It would only take a few tweaks and modifications to this formula to have it work as a pure free-for-all.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There could be a mechanic in the Battle Dojo-esque gameplay style of dueling where you can swap out weapons with the unused L-shoulder button.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
If they were going to make a FFA game mode it would have to be in the vein of King of the Hill. 4~8 people running around painting seperate areas of the map for 2 minutes isn't going to be entertaining for anyone. Plus it's an objective based shooter through and through, even the 'Team Deathmatch' mode isn't about killing other players. None of the modes have that as a primary objective.

Lucarii

Inkling
NNID
Lucarii
I think a FFA mode could work on the current maps, but with less players. I'm thinking around four to six, since if you were to randomly spawn you don't want to have a bunch of people ready to camp you. It could work similar to Battle Dojo with the balloon mechanic maybe, or swap out having specials in favour of grabbing them (again like the dojo/single player mode). Another reason a smaller amount of players would be better is that if everyone had a unique ink colour, 8 colours on one map could easily become not only confusing, but also very hard to manage and taking control of the map would be difficult.

But yeah, I think it could work with some tweaking of existing features, viability of weapons aside. Like aceofscarabs said too, you could just switch out weapons as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom