I hate ranked

Shiranui

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shiranui
I wish I could play all the game types in normal mode. I hate the added stress that comes with trying to work up ranked. I'd love to be able to practice the game modes, since I absolutely hate Rainmaker and usually quit playing because all I do is drop rank when I play it.

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
I just don't play the ones with Saltspray Rig, Moray Towers, or Port Mackeral in rotation. Otherwise, I tend to have decent games and climbing slowly (that satisfying feel when we have a DC'd player on our side and we only lose -1 point for ranking).

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
Why don't you just play and care less about your rank? Your rank roughly will represent your skill level. That's if you just want to play every mode normally. It's just a letter. And when you have experience and finally want to see a decent grade, then you might actually be a better player and deserve it.

I started out at B+, constantly up and down. Took a three week break and came back to instantly get promoted twice to A. I thought that was because of the grade cap increase, that players had moved up, but I'm now S+, though I feel I'm S level. I avoid some maps and modes from time to time depending how I'm feeling. I suggest making another account and playing around in that, my other account is now S, but I also play many weapons on that.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I feel you. I know I shouldn't care about my rank, but I can't help it. I wish once you clicked "Regular Battle" that it would let you choose which mode you wanted to play and then you could play it without a rank. I'd also kinda like it if you could play Turf on Ranked. If you do play Ranked mode though, I've come to realize it's a lot more fun squadding with friends.

Azza has a pretty good point as well. When I can get myself to not care about my rank, I have a lot more fun. It takes some of the stress away. :P

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
Having separate ranks for each game mode would be pretty cool also. as well as the ability to choose which game mode you want to play. The map announce screen would take forever though

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
The only mode I can really do well in is Rainmaker OTL Tower control is too hard and I hate splat zones.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I really only despise Tower Control. I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoy Splatzones (not on Hammerhead Bridge) and Rainmaker. I can also tolerate Turf Wars with the right people. I strongly dislike losing rank points due to lag drops, players leaving etc. though, THAT gets old. Other than that, I enjoy playing the other two less forward game modes.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
I'm so close to S I'm to the point where I'm trying to get S with all my effort so i can be done with this whole ranking system and squad when I want to, rather just stop caring now and play for fun. I've come too far.

In general, I hate playing a mode where I have something to lose, too much stress for it just being a video game.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
As others have said, it's best to not take your rank too seriously - simply think of it as a matchmaking device. I actually find ranked mode less stressful than turfwar, because at least with ranked I'm more likely to be put in lobbies with people who are all roughly around my level, whereas with tw I tend to encounter absurdly good demon players who make squidmeat of me - none of that in ranked.

Also bear in mind that if you consistently drop rank then at some point you'll hit a point where you're able to carry your team to victory without too much effort, and then you'll start ranking-up and the cycle will begin again.

Shiranui

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shiranui
Why don't you just play and care less about your rank? Your rank roughly will represent your skill level. That's if you just want to play every mode normally. It's just a letter. And when you have experience and finally want to see a decent grade, then you might actually be a better player and deserve it.

I started out at B+, constantly up and down. Took a three week break and came back to instantly get promoted twice to A. I thought that was because of the grade cap increase, that players had moved up, but I'm now S+, though I feel I'm S level. I avoid some maps and modes from time to time depending how I'm feeling. I suggest making another account and playing around in that, my other account is now S, but I also play many weapons on that.
Because I'd like to try out weapons I'm not used too using in these game types without feeling like I'm letting down my teammates.

Helio

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkey.esq
Don't worry about your rank. Don't worry about letting down other players.

A good player will be decent no matter whether you are messing around with new weapons and clothes.

As to avoiding the Mode/map that you don't like. If it is not fun don't play it. Usually it's unfamiliarity with that map or mode. For example the sniper ledge that gets you every time, or not pushing ink when teammate has the rainmaker.

Play a few games and then run throught the map alone 'Y' recon. How to get to sniper ledges, around pinch point ambushes.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Because I'd like to try out weapons I'm not used too using in these game types without feeling like I'm letting down my teammates.
You could try running a couple of Turf Wars to get the general feel for the weapon, then try going for Ranked Matches. Part of the fun of using a weapon is learning what it can do, and that process pretty much never ends. I've inked about 165k Turf with my Heavy Splatling and just recently I've started using Ink Walls a bit, and I'm yet to find a way to properly fight back Krakens aside of running away

Shiranui

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shiranui
You could try running a couple of Turf Wars to get the general feel for the weapon, then try going for Ranked Matches. Part of the fun of using a weapon is learning what it can do, and that process pretty much never ends. I've inked about 165k Turf with my Heavy Splatling and just recently I've started using Ink Walls a bit, and I'm yet to find a way to properly fight back Krakens aside of running away
I've been trying to learn how to use snipers in Turf Wars. It sucks. The game type is far different from the ranked ones so I really can't learn how to use it. In ranked it's easy to find an area where you can set up and snipe, but not in Turf Wars.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've been trying to learn how to use snipers in Turf Wars. It sucks. The game type is far different from the ranked ones so I really can't learn how to use it. In ranked it's easy to find an area where you can set up and snipe, but not in Turf Wars.
It will always feel different since both modes work so differently. In Ranked Battles all the battle is usually centered in a designated area, where in Turf Wars all the map is important, even that corner of the spawn no one bothered to ink. However, you can still get an idea of what works and what doesn't while using the weapon. If you try using a Heavy Splatling in a purely offensive role in Turf Wars it might not go any better than doing the same in Tower Control. However, sitting back and keeping the enemy at bay worked fairly well in both modes for me (not to say don't jump in the Tower, but you can clear a path for those on it so they can spend their time figuring out whether they're more squid than kid)

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Can't stand it when people say 'stop caring about your rank' then proceed to go on about their rank and climb to S+ or whatever.

Having a rank has been proven in the past on many other games to make things at least a little bit more stressful. It also doesn't help how much communities focus on ranks too, I know from CS:GO that rank plays a massive role in how people treat you in the community when it's been proven time and time again that rank and actual player skill aren't correlated that much and it's the same here to a lesser extent.

It also poses annoyances when you just want to play a ranked type game mode casually, if you're an S+ player it's likely anything but your best effort is going to result in a loss so playing casually stops being fun, then you have the issue of smurfs etc. Un-ranked playlists of all game modes and maps really should be available by default as their need has been proven so many times over, but in the meantime you do just have to not focus on it. Eventually you'll plateau out at your true skill correlating to however much effort and time you put into the game which hopefully will be a fun experience but if you flip between playing seriously and casually, good luck with that.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
That is good idea in theory, but in practice is kinda awful. Not only the modes are vastly different, but there's also no reliable matchmaking in turf wars, so as @Phobos said, sometimes you will be paired against godlike players who can totally kill your fun and your self esteem as well. I prefer to practice in ranked, even it means I will drop a few meaningless ranks during the process. Though it's also interesting to keep in mind that certain weapons will not be that good in ranked and some will not be that good in turf wars (like luna blaster).

_clementine

Inkster Jr.
I like to think of my rank just as a way of grouping me with other players of a similar skill, not as a competition to be the best player. If I go up in the ranks, well, that just means that I'm getting better. If I go down in the ranks, that just means that I'm having a rough day. I don't know, that's just how I try to see it.

If you hate a certain mode, just don't play ranked mode until the maps change. I personally hate Rainmaker, so instead of forcing myself to play ranked because I need to "climb up," I'll just play turf wars instead. Don't force yourself to play, because that's when it gets stressful.

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
Honestly I think two accounts is the way to go. As long as you don't mind working a new account up to level 10. Also as long as you don't have moral issues with stomping new players into dust.
After hitting S rank I made a new account so I could try out new weapons in a more serious setting without worrying about dropping back into A+, and now I find myself going over to it whenever I feel like playing ranked stress free.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
That is good idea in theory, but in practice is kinda awful. Not only the modes are vastly different, but there's also no reliable matchmaking in turf wars, so as Phobos said, sometimes you will be paired against godlike players who can totally kill your fun and your self esteem as well. I prefer to practice in ranked, even it means I will drop a few meaningless ranks during the process. Though it's also interesting to keep in mind that certain weapons will not be that good in ranked and some will not be that good in turf wars (like luna blaster).
I was refering to understanding the way the weapon works (what range it works best at, is it good for combat or something else, should you play conservatively or offensively, etc.); I know the modes play a lot differently (I even mentioned it in a follow-up post), but the weapon will always do what it's supposed to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom