• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 i need some advice on certain weapons

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
well the title says it..i been trying out different types of weapons i never/rarely use just to see or i have potential for them ^^''

that's what my next questions is about
which maps do you guys consider a good way to start off with a brella and roller type weapon?
i haven't been doing to great with them on my practice rounds on turf war x.x and i was thinking..maybe the maps that were on during that time weren't the right ones to start off with these weapons,
i have a feeling that brellas work best with maps that have not many heights/objects/obstacles on them or am i wrong?

as for rollers..when i just started the game my first weapon i bought was a roller and i was really good with it but for a long time now i somehow lost the ability to be good with it and i am a bit disappointed about it since it was always fun to play with a roller and i kinda miss it T~T so i really want to get that skill i once had back..but which maps should i focus on with a roller weapon?

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
To be honest the maps might make a little bit of a difference but I think we can put your losses down to not instantly being good at a new weapon (perfectly reasonable, happens to us all) rather than playing on the wrong map.

I’m no breakaway expert, but I know a fair bit about rollers and to be honest I’d say that there aren’t really many maps that I see in the rotation and think ‘ROLLER TIMEEE’.

Pirhana pit is a nice one though.

Ketatnet

Inkling
NNID
ketatnet
Switch Friend Code
SW-8017-7454-5223
Try focusing on figuring out optimal playstyles for your weapons before worrying about map picks. Go into solo queue no matter the map and just try to get as much info as you can. Using Solo opposed to turf means you are going to be exposed to more varied and difficult scenarios. You may lose games or struggle for a bit, but that doesnt really matter. Losing gives you just as much or more data as winning, so just stick to the grind. For example, if you are using roller you probably have the idea of "im gonna be sneaky and kill things." When trying to do this, you"ll find that you cant just get kills as you please, but have to abuse specific situations and matchups. For example, you find that you have an easy time fighting with closerange shooters but struggle whenever you find yourself looking at a longrange blaster. So lets say you grind out rollers and feel pretty confident with them at a later point and you are now thinking what maps to pick it on in tournament. You can say "This map favors weapons like rapid blasters which I have a tough matchup against, so im either going to pick something else or pick roller and try to play more passively."
Basically, dont think too far ahead. Make sure you have a strong base of fundamentals and dont be afraid of the loss screen when trying something new and you'll get to the point where you can start focusing on deeper strats

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Don't think too much about which stage is good with brellas or rollers, just make them good on them.
Sometimes getting good on "bad" matchups for weapons can give you an edge against people who think you will not be able to benefit with those weapons, just keep practicing, nothing more complicated than that.

Umbriel_Umbra

Full Squid
NNID
umbrella720
Ok: I can't say too much on part of the roller bit. You certainly have no need to worry about this, but to be rather frank, the *ranked, team-oriented (non single player queue) metagame from Splatoon 1 included the Carbon Roller with it's Burst Cancel and Inkzooka team wipe capabilities, but rollers as a whole have been overshadowed in Splatoon 2 by Dualies and other weapons (and don't feel bad about this either, this has also happened with chargers!).

But, as a Splat Brella / Undercover Sorella main who's currently at at least S+ 2 for all ranked modes, here are a few basic tips:

1. With the Splat Brella specifically, you do NOT want to be launching your shield most of the time. You might be wondering, "huh? Than what's the point of this weapon?"
2. Strafe shooting. The Splat Brella and Undercover Sorella are above average strafe shooting weapons, for their fire rate is much higher while doing this than auto fire, and especially because between shots at any point, you can pull up your shield. As a general rule, though, you will want to strafe shoot when just inking turf at the start of ANY match, or just before a 1 v 1 encounter. You should then begin to pull up your shield when you close into an enemy's killing range. To add to this point,
3. When you DO pull out your shield, do not hold it for more than a second. Now you might be REALLY confused, but here's the thing: what can you do with a shield up? Nothing, while you hold it. And all the while an approaching enemy will just hold fire and tear through the shield until they get you. This is why you need to
4. combine intermittent periods of pulling up your shield AND strafe shooting when encountering an enemy. Now you might begin to get a picture of what solid Brella gameplay looks like: putting down some ink on the map with strafe shots and maintaining distance, and then when going 1 on 1 with someone, continuing to strafe back and forth and shoot, but when the critical moment occurs where you are about to be bombarded with fire, pull up your shield! But then, in real time, it looks like: strafe, shoot, shield, repeat.

This is the general gist of things, coming from a slightly seasoned player :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom