• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I need your opinion on this. Is S+ 99 worth it or is it too much of hassle to go for?

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Is it truly only for the best of the best?

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I'm only in the teetering A- range, but from what I've heard, it is crazy hard to stay in S+, let alone S+ 99 (mostly due to horrible ranking system, bad matchmaking, and a necessity to pick the most flexible weapon to counteract random teams). I would say yes, it is only for the caffeine-for-blood, level 50 two weeks after patch, monster krakens of Splatoon... That is, unless, you can find a really good team to play with, and have quite a bit of patience to reach that lofty height.

If you're solo'ing, and playing with randoms through ranked, that is quite the achievement, and unless you're dying to reach it, I wouldn't worry about it too much. With set teams, it'll be more likely you'll reach it, but do you want to stay in S+, or are you simply trying to reach max?

Your motivations are your own, and whatever you choose, I wish you the best.

Last edited:

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Thanks.

I only just got to S actually and you're right that it's probably not worth the effort to reach S+99. I'll try to reach S+ but with the random matchmaking it's won't be a walk in the park.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
I say try to salvage it a bit at first and then proceed to go all the way just to gain experience.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
No, it's not worth it. All of the players who hit S+ 99 never touch solo queue again and only do squad battles. Unfortunately, from what I've seen/heard no one has gotten S+ 99 genuinely. What I mean by this is by someone just using a regular gear set up using a regular weapon. Usually you have to play extremely passive and defensive to prevent your team from fudging up in any way what's so ever. Either that, or manipulate abilities/subs in a "cheap" way. Overall it gains you nothing, you're better off staying at S rank to gain easy experience without losing your rank than going S+ and being scared to ever lose it.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Once you reach S you'll be able to play squads w/o point loss and gain, aside from the S+ 99 prestige next to your name i don't really see a reason to keep going. Personally i'd rather avoid/ignore it as i still want to play Ranked afterwards and don't worry about my score dropping without resorting to Squads. Right now i'm stuck in mid A's, i main the Kelp Splatterscope but when there's two chargers or more on my team there's going to be problems no matter how good you are.
I'm guessing S+ is absolutely loaded with Tentateks and vanilla .52 Gals?

And yeah, from A on the rankings gets kind of iffy. Today i've faced an extremely skilled Carbon Roller who constantly carried the enemy team and had crazy reflexes, he was on rank A and yet kept decimating me and my team of (mostly) S players. That guy alone allmost knocked me back to -A.
I've also seen S players who are really bad.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
If you want to get good you will risk your position to learn more situations and reach the top genuinely anyway. If you just want the S+ as a trophy stay there, if you want to be good or the best risk it, you will get better anyhow from trial and error.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
IMO. If you can constantly squad, its not necessary. If you can not, climbing and crying is the only way your going to improve.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
It is hassle for sure, but that doesn't mean it's not worth it. Going for S+99 is no different than going for A+. Both require no small amount of skill, but what separates the two is that in S+ you must play extremely defensively. Even so it won't be easy because the randomness of the matchmaking may give you teams that simply have bad weapons. With that in mind, I'd say it's still worth going for because S+99 is the goal you want to reach. Let it be challenge you want to overcome. Don't give up and think it's impossible. It's all about your state of mind. Be in a positive state of mind and eventually you'll start getting there.

Figy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Hummana
I personally think its almost impossible to get to S+ 99 without save scumming. The highest i have gotten to is S+ 46 and when you get to higher ranks, you gain less points(this is in a full S lobby seeing how S+ lobbies are insanely rare), in S+ 0-40 you gain +3 per win, pass 40 is +2 and im guessing if it is like S rank, S+ 70 or 80 will be +1 per win, and each loss is -(6-8 pts)(aka 3-4 wins per 1 loss). So you would need to go on a 50+ game win streak with randoms teammates, lag and dealing with random BS.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
I know a couple of S+'ers and know one person who has S+ 99 and i've watched him for the most part trying to achieve it. Personally if I ever got to S+ 30 i'd stop then and there.

Highest ive ever got to is S 48 (which then I crashed to A- only to get my S 31 again by solo queuing). It's going to be frustrating for sure but i've gained a lot of experience for my crash, i can't say much for anyone else who won't solo queue again due to the fact that you can potentially drop without a decent, active squad to shield your rank.

TheN64

Inkling
NNID
N64PCGamer
I kinda just play... if I get to S+ 99 it won't be because ECHCHCHCHHCHCCHC I MUST GET TO S+ BE THE BESSST IN THE WORLD YEAAAAH. It'll be because I just played and it resulted in me getting to S+ 99.
Of course I want to be good, I want to improve. But some letter, symbol and a number mean nothing to me. What matters to me is if I do good. Did I get one kill and 15 deaths? That means I did bad. Did I get 9 kills and 7 deaths and we won? That means I did pretty good! Did I get 9 kills and 7 deaths but we lost? That means I did well... but not well enough.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
S+99 requires an 80%+ win rate. unless you abuse a weapon that people can't handle or are a god with a charger, it's not worth going for imo. if I ever go for it and reach it, I know I'm going to feel as though I got lucky toward the end--particularly since getting the 99 requires a 5 win streak at the very end (since a loss at that point would set you back at least 8 points to the 2 you normally get for winning).

basically the problem is that at 80% win rate, even if you hard carry your team every game, you can't always maintain that 80% by just being really good with your top tier weapons. the game's too volatile and most maps are too open. you could maybe do it in zones I guess, but definitely not rainmaker. tower control is sort of in between.

this is why I personally will likely not go for it until I'm routinely 1v4ing with the 3k.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Honestly if its fun for you to try for it then its worth it. It is a challenge and for some it can be fun. But don't stress over being S+99. Sure rank is a reflection of skill but at a certain point past S+ 30 (being able to maintain it) it gets a bit moot. As people have mentioned above the game can be a bit unbalanced depending on mode/map. Not to mention the splatoon server issues, not balancing weapons between teams (winning with 4 chargers is possible depending on the map/mode but a uphill struggle to say the least if everyone isnt a good charger), etc.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Honestly if its fun for you to try for it then its worth it. It is a challenge and for some it can be fun. But don't stress over being S+99. Sure rank is a reflection of skill but at a certain point past S+ 30 (being able to maintain it) it gets a bit moot. As people have mentioned above the game can be a bit unbalanced depending on mode/map. Not to mention the splatoon server issues, not balancing weapons between teams (winning with 4 chargers is possible depending on the map/mode but a uphill struggle to say the least if everyone isnt a good charger), etc.
Yeah I don't think I'm going to bother too much with random Ranked Battles if I hit S+. It's probably not worth the frustration in the end. Anyways I'm actually playing Squad Battles to improve myself by practicing so I can be better prepared when I do attempt to climb up to S+ rank.

Samura1man

Inkling
NNID
samura1man
I personally think its almost impossible to get to S+ 99 without save scumming. The highest i have gotten to is S+ 46 and when you get to higher ranks, you gain less points(this is in a full S lobby seeing how S+ lobbies are insanely rare), in S+ 0-40 you gain +3 per win, pass 40 is +2 and im guessing if it is like S rank, S+ 70 or 80 will be +1 per win, and each loss is -(6-8 pts)(aka 3-4 wins per 1 loss). So you would need to go on a 50+ game win streak with randoms teammates, lag and dealing with random BS.
I have got to S+99 without save scumming and I have to say it's really frustrating, but in the end I was really happy to achieve something that people could easily savescum, I heard about savescum while I was going for S+99, someone told me to do that and I said no, I will never do that.

So yes, I got to S+99 by using Dynamo Roller only, a little bit Krak-on too, I streamed all of my matches live on my twitch account and I even uploaded my last 9 matches when I got to S+99

S+99 doesn't sound worth it imo, but if you really want to test your skills and ability to outplay opponents alone then this is for you.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
For me, due to lag and matchmaking, it would just plain not be fun to pursue S+.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Did anyone actually try to win another game at S+99? Maybe Nintendo was cheesy and added S++ without telling us :D Very unlikely, though, but it would be hilarious imo.
Or was this datamined before?

MintChipper

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TonyEH
After I finish my homework tomorrow I'm gonna grind ranked to no end, get to S (top priority is S+) and finally play squad with no worry, though I'll probably only play during tc or sz rotations, there were like no sz ones today and the tc ones didn't have very good maps on imo. Let's hope for the best.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Did anyone actually try to win another game at S+99? Maybe Nintendo was cheesy and added S++ without telling us :D Very unlikely, though, but it would be hilarious imo.
Or was this datamined before?
It just says S+99
Nothing happens

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom