• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I play terrible using handheld

kidsquid17

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Firefin
Switch Friend Code
SW-5267-5861-7211
I cant play using the joycons in handheld mode, the joycons feel too far apart such a fast action game, it was fine in botw but splatoon is different, i always play splatoon using the pro controller on the TV, anyone else like this?

snerple

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4557-0339-0307
I also play terribly while playing in handheld mode... which is all the time. It seams mostly okay to me though.

kidsquid17

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Firefin
Switch Friend Code
SW-5267-5861-7211
yeah i'm sure i'd get better if i practiced more in handheld i remember i did good the first splatfest and half the time i was using handheld, it just is hard to "switch" no pun intended

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Personally, I am fine with handheld mode, since I was used to the Wii U gameplay, but I still prefer playing in tabletop mode if I am undocked.

Reactions: the

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
Also: Motion Controls are just from the right joy-con (Even If I know that you aren't using them). I still write that here because there might be other guys...

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I can play splat 2 with the switch undocked with a pro controller. But I really just limit myself from playing anything too difficult, so I'll just play turf or maybe get my salmon run bonuses.

If I want to play to my fullest, I have to go to the TV with a pro controller. I feel like I would just hate myself trying to play squads or ranked on there because I'm expected to do much.

Also, joy cons suck. The buttons are way too small, and even with the grip, the b button is way too close to the right stick. Throwing off your aim every time you jump and shoot

speedySonic

Full Squid
It's weird. Like, you'd expect to be good at handheld mode, because that's similar to the Wii U controls. But it's still uncomfortable.

I'll just stick to the joycon grip.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Part of the problem is the right stick is in a terrible spot. Your thumb isn't supposed to bend the way it needs to bend to use the right stick in handheld mode. Even with all the other problems still the same, it would be infinitely better to have the right stick where it is on the left joycon (as in -- up... where your thumb can naturally reach it).

If you look at the pro controller, the right stick is off-set more so you can reach it comfortably. That's not possible in terms of moving it over to the left more, but moving it up and moving the buttons down would make it work. Of course, this is a problem exclusive to dual-stick shooting games in handheld, which isn't how you design a controller (around only one game type).

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
I can play story mode in handheld no prob. Trying it for matches however, felt like my wrists were bound together with rope every time I tried to aim via motion-controls - very jerky and inaccurate. Not sure why splatting octo-enemies didn't feel nearly the same way.. *shrug* Also, I wouldn't recommend trying to use the inkbrush in handheld mode, unless you like gaming during earthquakes. xD

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Same here. Although I don't detach the joycons. I just hold it like a Wii u gamepad and play it like that. Sure the motion controls can cause me to not see a part of the screen but it doesn't really bothers me and my killing streaks.
Same. I keep the cons attached.

kidsquid17

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Firefin
Switch Friend Code
SW-5267-5861-7211
Part of the problem is the right stick is in a terrible spot. Your thumb isn't supposed to bend the way it needs to bend to use the right stick in handheld mode. Even with all the other problems still the same, it would be infinitely better to have the right stick where it is on the left joycon (as in -- up... where your thumb can naturally reach it).

If you look at the pro controller, the right stick is off-set more so you can reach it comfortably. That's not possible in terms of moving it over to the left more, but moving it up and moving the buttons down would make it work. Of course, this is a problem exclusive to dual-stick shooting games in handheld, which isn't how you design a controller (around only one game type).
yeah i agree, i dont like the joystick position either plus i've just been so used to using the switch as a TV only console it feels weird to go back

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom