• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I suck at Splatoon.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
Today, I've went from A to almost B. I've come to grips with it. After struggling day after day after day to reach A+ (again, as I reached it once before, but never A+99) , I realize that this game is too demanding for me to possibly reach that goal. There are way too many obstacles for me to overcome. The primary ones are lag and the game design. Rollers and Blasters always manage to get close to me and one shot me in no time, since your shots don't follow your reticle that precisely when you're shooting at a strafing or hopping target. (Trust me, I keep the reticle right on target). This is because you're launching ink blobs rather than bullets. Just try turning while firing to see what i'm talking about. Also, bullets are easily blocked by corners, traffic cones, banisters, and teammates. Chargers don't have this problem, but people always seem to dodge my shots just in time and close in anyways because of the charging time, or I get surrounded. Dodging Rollers/Inkzookas/Blasters doesn't work 90% of the time for me, because of latency (which is just the limitations of online play). There are also many disconnections which Rank me down, and teleporting players who I believe are impossible to beat. There are also players who kill me after they are already dead (happens in most matches) or people who get super speed since their position wasn't updated fast enough. I have a 50 up/50 down wired connection for my Wii U, so I personally doubt lag problems are from me. Also, there are times where I do well, but it's not enough because the rest of my team couldn't keep up, and also times where I can't find any opportunities to help because i'm getting bombarded before I can even get to the middle area of the map. All of these things can compound and result in 9+ game losing streaks. I know people will say "practice makes perfect" or "get gud" but I think that after 361 hours of play time in this game, the truth has really taken its toll on me. But there are people who are A+ and can keep A+, so it must not be totally random. It's just that I suck, and can't handle this game basically. It's a shame because I spend entire days playing Splatoon and trying to strategize but I'll just never be good enough. I'll keep playing Ranked for fun in the B ranks I guess.

Maybe when I get a Squad I might reach A+99 but I'll never even touch S/S+ since those require solo matchmaking.

You can give tips, but let it be known that it's a 90% chance i'll already know about them.

Sorry for whining/being salty.

Last edited:

Shig

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OkidoShigeru
Don't let it get you down, you don't need to be the absolute best at something to be able to enjoy it. For comparison, I've put over 2000 hours into Team Fortress 2, but when my friends and I tried to play competitively in PUGs we were absolutely destroyed - the skill gap between me and even the lowest level competitive players in my region was just astounding, there is pretty much no hope that I will ever be able to compete at that level. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy stomping players in public servers and messing around with my friends.

It's the same in Splatoon, I've put a fair amount of time into the game and I still struggle to maintain a B ranking. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy playing the game, and that I won't continue to strive towards A+ ranking (and S+ when it is released). Just keep practising and learning and who knows, maybe you will discover that you can do it, but it's not really a huge deal if you can't.

jason1637

Senior Squid
NNID
jason1637
I am c+ i always get close to B- but i then get into a team that does not do much and it goes down. Cant wait for the new squads so this problem can be eliminated.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
I'm at ~250 hours and know your struggles very well. Yesterday and today I deranked from A to B (yeah, really :D ), because I'm still not perfect with chargers and messed around with the E-Liter a bit. Currently I'm slowly climbing back up at high B+ with the Kelp Charger. I learned that rank is nothing you have to put too much weight into. Having A+99 is nice and means that you are probably a better player than A/A- etc., but having fun with the game should always come in first place. And you still can have a lot fun in B+ and low A ranks, let alone private rooms and the upcoming Squad Battle :)

Rex

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xerhid
Zainrefang, first of all, you're better than me if you've ever made it to A+. I gave up once I reached B, because I didn't want to deal with all of the folks in the higher ranks. I absolutely empathize with your level of frustration. I too want to be so much better than I am at this game, but just can't seem to pull it off. It's incredibly frustrating when you give something your best, and yet, still not reach your goals.

I am firm believer that if I were to play more, and play as much as some of these A+ players, I have no doubt I (we) could do it. Some of these folks have hundreds of hours of experience from other fps and probably no job or personal life to hold them down. Life is a trade off and even with your 361 hours, you still probably don't even come close to their totals from this game and others. I wish you the best of luck!

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Sounds like you need to use that tentatek

Getting good gear and or relevant abilities can help out a bit. For example, Tenacity is really good for solo que, but it might not be as useful, in squad games. Also, when you die, make sure you pick up on why it happened. Lots of deaths come from lag, but not all of them. Try to never make the same mistake, only new ones.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
1. Stop worrying about rank, play the game for fun
2. Change your gear to suit certain modes accordingly
3. Believe in yourself. You can do it!

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
1. Stop worrying about rank, play the game for fun
Unfortunately, that's what a rank system does to your game. It feels disappointing to know that you play at a far lower level than other people, and it's hard to be satisfied. I can't think of a single game in which the game doesn't become more fun as you reach higher skill levels. Aren't there still games that hide your MMR/Rank from your own profile in order to avoid disappointing the players?

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
GET ALL THE RANKS

Seriously though, like others, I admire your effort. I'm only B- but would like to get to where you are. One thing I can agree with lag and it is annoying. There is simply nothing we can do about that, or maybe we can. I guess you have to be one step ahead of yourself being one step ahead of your opponent to win the match. Be at the point where you can win a firefight but not one where he could reach you due to lag. (Like if you shot him from behind, he probably didn't have time to adjust to shoot you on his end)

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You got to A, therefore you can't be that bad. Or to the very least, you are better than me, since the highest I got was B-.

skyphoi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
melancholywish
Unfortunately, that's what a rank system does to your game. It feels disappointing to know that you play at a far lower level than other people, and it's hard to be satisfied.
This is why I wish they would have an un-ranked version of the other styles of the game for people who don't care about the competitive aspect of games. It can especially bum out the younger players, and it's bummed me out at times... especially when I'm penalized for connection problems. Personally, I like both competition and fun depending on my mood, but it seems unfair to make the ranked mode the only way to play anything other than turf wars. It would be kinda cool if there was a ranked turf wars, too.

skyphoi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
melancholywish
If you're consistently above B+ and A is normal for you, you're probably an amazing player. I've been from the top to the bottom and back, I never can stay in the same rank for long. (Maybe I'm just very unlucky?) Reaching A is hard work - you should be proud! I'm sure you're much, much better than you think. I can understand your frustration, though. There are a lot of things that can be stacked against you - especially lag, glitches and connectivity problems. The only suggestion I could give is to maybe try a new weapon out or re-roll abilities to help make up for what you're having trouble with?

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
I don't think one should get comfortable though. I feel like people who get to A, have worked for it, and possibly have the drive to get even better. Basically, I don't think the skill would be static (unchanging), with people all wanting to get better. Only thing is to keep getting better, and expect a bit of fluctuation until you get even better, and you are already GOOD. : D You got this.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Ranked mode also has that luck factor that makes it not really all that bad when you lose, especially now that you get points towards your level even if you are on a bad team or just having a bad day.

I'm a slightly above average player and I'm satisfied that A-rank is never coming my way, but there are lots of other ways to play and enjoy the game. Play Turf War for awhile or private battles with your friends and let the pressure off*

*disregarding the fact that Turf War is just as or even more competitively depthful as Ranked, it just doesn't have that letter grade nagging at you

Blue Link

Inkling
NNID
BLUELINKBR
Don't worry about Ranks, play for fun. The mindset I used to be able to ignore ranks is that I don't care about them as long as I'm at least C. Since now I'm B, it would be pretty difficult for me to end up being a C- again, so ranks does not matter anymore.

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
Lower your standards, you'll be happier.
I'm happy being 1 or 2 on my team's board at the end of the round. The way I see it that's all I can really do is be one of the best team members.
What gets me riled is when I get splatted multiple times by the same mf'er. That'll get me motivated, because it's obviously my fault. Otherwise I'm good at deflecting blame and rationalizing - important life skills for any mortal :)

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
Maybe when I get a Squad I might reach A+99 but I'll never even touch S/S+ since those require solo matchmaking.
I'm S Rank on my Primary and Secondary accounts now. Lol. Also sorry for reviving a necro thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom