I think I have the world's largest losing streak

TheGreatGateway

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaxterD
So around a month ago, I worked hard to reach rank A- and all was well in the world.

Now I think I must've just had some luck in my matchups, because since that day, I've yet to win a single ranked game. That's right, not even a single win! That puts me all the way back at C- again. I try all sorts of weapons, maps, teams, agility tricks and both modes, but I still get my tentacles handing to me on a plate of salty calamari. Especially by Rollers and Gal weapons.

And the worst part is, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong. Well, besides the fact that I enjoy using the Inkbrush, but my main weapon is the standard Splattershot. There are some games where I end up capturing points alone, or being the highest scorer, but I don't like blaming my teammates for MY loss. I was wondering if I could join some games with someone so people can see my poor performance in action, or if anyone has any pep talk for a situation like this? It isn't exclusive to Splatoon on a side note - I've gone into a slump of losses in Smash Brothers as well. XP

Last edited:

Crazy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AjninYzarc
So around a month ago, I worked hard to reach rank A- and all was well in the world.

Now I think I must've just had some luck in my matchups, because since that day, I've yet to win a single ranked game. That's right, not even a single win! That puts me all the way back at C- again. I try all sorts of weapons, maps, teams, agility tricks and both modes, but I still get my tentacles handing to me on a plate of salty calamari. Especially by Rollers and Gal weapons.

And the worst part is, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong. Well, besides the fact that I enjoy using the Inkbrush, but my main weapon is the standard Splattershot. There are some games where I end up capturing points alone, or being the highest scorer, but I don't like blaming my teammates for MY loss. I was wondering if I could join some games with someone so people can see my poor performance in action, or if anyone has any pep talk for a situation like this? It isn't exclusive to Splatoon on a side note - I've gone into a slump of losses in Smash Brothers as well. XP
"Just Stop It!!"

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...qhuNuB8PteG4N55Ew&sig2=hjx9Nrr644sHSHLJTbwJpw

This will explain what I mean :)

Last edited:

Razen

Inkling
NNID
RazenRaven
I think I identified your 2 core problems
Care to elaborate? Using a certain weapon doesn't doom you to an infinite losing streak. I've seen good Inkbrushers, I've seen bad Inkbrushers. I've seen good Rollers, I've seen bad Rollers, and so on. It sounds a lot like OP is just really unlucky.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Care to elaborate? Using a certain weapon doesn't doom you to an infinite losing streak. I've seen good Inkbrushers, I've seen bad Inkbrushers. I've seen good Rollers, I've seen bad Rollers, and so on. It sounds a lot like OP is just really unlucky.
nah, just having a giggle, m8. It's just that most of the community is rather meh on these 2 particular weapons because there's better alternatives for what they accomplish, but of course there's always players who can do great stuff with every weapon kit. Except Rapid Blasters. I have never seen a good Rapid Blaster.

What is there to say about it? We've got no information. Either OP's unlucky or he had a stroke that made him lose a chunk of his brain specifically responsible for Splatoon strategy. To put it in the words of the great and famous philosopher Aristotle:

git gud scrub
Edit: some formatting voodoo

Last edited:

Razen

Inkling
NNID
RazenRaven
Either OP's unlucky or he had a stroke that made him lose a chunk of his brain specifically responsible for Splatoon strategy.
Haha, I'm pretty sure his brain is alright if he's able to get high scores in some matches. Has to be unlucky.

That being said, OP, it may very well just be your team. I know you said you don't want to blame others for your streak, but in a game like this the people you get matched with can make or break you.

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
The fact you got to A-, I would say you are competent. I'm a B+ right now, borderline A-. I just cant make it because I get the odd streak loss, a couple of bad teams, the odd unlucky death, the **** play and a disconnect and I can be borderline back to B. Going down to C- is really steep though. So many losses that maybe you are not using the right weapon. I have a question though, your losses tend to come in tower or splatzones? I tend to go on losing streaks in splatzones and winning streaks in tower control. And throw in the map choices.

ZestyN

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ZestyN
I know how it is OP. I was playing ranked battle yesterday (the first time I could get on in a while) and dropped from 30B- to 19C+ before I gave up. I refuse to believe that it's anything other than bad teammates after having a match where i got 22 kills, dying only 5 times, and still losing. I had a guy that was literally painting the rest of the map instead of helping the rest of us (I'm pretty sure he thought it was a turf war). Either way, keep at it. If you were good enough to get to A-, you'll find a win eventually.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Without taking your gear into account, my guess is you've been staying in rooms far too long with terrible teams and using pretty weak sauce weapons. Never stay in a room with bad teammates. If you lose two times in a row, I would strongly recommend leaving and finding a new room. As for Inkbrush and Splattershot...um yeah there's a reason they're low tier.

Another guess I hazard is you've been playing Tower Control. In this mode it is almost possible to win consistently even with a decent team because of the back and forth nature the matches have. You'll win a few matches then a lose a few, but ultimately lose more points than you gain after awhile. Splat Zones are easier to win consistently and thus also easier to gain points back.

Other than I really don't think it's bad luck you're having(this game doesn't have that much of an element of luck involved), just not improving with the weapons you do use. If you don't know what you're doing wrong, there's no way you can improve. Analyze, critique, and amend your playstyle where necessary. As well, I advise you to watch some streams from A+ players. This should definitely help you figure out a way to end your losing streak.

TheGreatGateway

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaxterD
post a video. maybe we can help
Eh heh, sorry, all I have is a phone for that, and it refuses to let me save videos longer than 1 minute for some reason. :p

The fact you got to A-, I would say you are competent. I'm a B+ right now, borderline A-. I just cant make it because I get the odd streak loss, a couple of bad teams, the odd unlucky death, the **** play and a disconnect and I can be borderline back to B. Going down to C- is really steep though. So many losses that maybe you are not using the right weapon. I have a question though, your losses tend to come in tower or splatzones? I tend to go on losing streaks in splatzones and winning streaks in tower control. And throw in the map choices.
A majority of my big losses are in Splat Zones; if I lose in Tower Control, things are generally closer for comfort. In Splat Zones, it's almost always a whitewash. I know my weapons of choice are low-tier, but I really, really don't want to conform and use things like Gals/Luna Blasters respectively. I remember trying them and I felt... dirty, like I hadn't earned my win. I know that's weird, but it's how I enjoy games like this.

Take Team Fortress 2 for example. I main the Medic there, and I'm pretty proud of my skills there. I use underrated weapons and healing types in conjunction with other Medics, to keep them safe and catch opponents off guard with my unorthodox playstyle. Splatoon reminds me so much of TF2 that I can't help but remain unorthodox..! :D

Crazy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AjninYzarc
Eh heh, sorry, all I have is a phone for that, and it refuses to let me save videos longer than 1 minute for some reason. :p

A majority of my big losses are in Splat Zones; if I lose in Tower Control, things are generally closer for comfort. In Splat Zones, it's almost always a whitewash. I know my weapons of choice are low-tier, but I really, really don't want to conform and use things like Gals/Luna Blasters respectively. I remember trying them and I felt... dirty, like I hadn't earned my win. I know that's weird, but it's how I enjoy games like this.

Take Team Fortress 2 for example. I main the Medic there, and I'm pretty proud of my skills there. I use underrated weapons and healing types in conjunction with other Medics, to keep them safe and catch opponents off guard with my unorthodox playstyle. Splatoon reminds me so much of TF2 that I can't help but remain unorthodox..! :D
You should Not change your unorthodox playstyle if that's what you enjoy. If you join a lobby and notice that you are losing a lot, drop that lobby and switch to another lobby. Another thing you might try is watching what your teammates do and provide support like you do in Team Fortress, watch a rollers back if the roller is advancing for instance. A roller's job is to push the enemy back and take out a couple of enemies in the process, while other teammates claim the middle. Just work with your teammates, and fill in for what is not getting done.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
So.... you don't like using weapons that will help you win? The issue right there is connecting a weapon to a negative playstyle. If you do well with a certain weapon... USE IT. You're not a dirty person for using a Luna Blaster!

Sweet Bird Jesus, I use a Dual Squelcher and am an A+ 99 with it. Just play the game man.

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
I know how you feel. I was just A- couple day and is almost about to get kick out B+. It is more annoying when you are the top player in your team and still lose. When I am at the bottom, I try figure out what I did wrong. I know I can get crazy and run toward to splat zone or jump on the tower without team mates ( since I think that behind me when they are not). I am going start playing turf wars more to practice my aiming more since they can be right my face and I somehow miss.

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
I know how you feel. I was just A- couple day and is almost about to get kick out B+. It is more annoying when you are the top player in your team and still lose. When I am at the bottom, I try figure out what I did wrong. I know I can get crazy and run toward to splat zone or jump on the tower without team mates ( since I think that behind me when they are not). I am going start playing turf wars more to practice my aiming more since they can be right my face and I somehow miss.
I can't remember if we have played together.. Maybe a similar name. Anyway I'm up and down all over B+. One moment I'm about to be promoted and the next I'm borderline deranking. I tend to blame things on the matchup and maps. Maybe I should turf war when I dislike it. Getting an elite sniper on moray towers and my teams never have one.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Dude, i've been down to B+ about 4 times now and I'm currently A neutral, I've never hit A+ once.

I have the worst luck, not you.

If i'm wrong then, paint my head red. But yeah, i've never had a losing streak that would put me all the way down to C (maybe once at C+) but yes, there are better weapons than the inkbrush and the splattershot. Inkbrush is very hard to use and isn't advisable more so on tower control unless you're truly dedicated.

Tower control is heavily focused on sub weapons such as suction bombs and ink mines, and a lot of people use chargers and blasters and rollers and some shooters ranging from the splattershot jr to the squelchers and the aerosprays. Splat zones is less restricting as long as you know how to control a zone and keep an objective.

I did once have a look at a UK player who was streaming A+ when I was still fairly new to the game and it's helped me a ton. (I got to A- a day later after watching him).

And yeah, analyse a lobby when you enter it and the match that takes place in it. If the people in it are good then there's more of a reason to stay, if you lose once (or even twice) based on how the match concluded then there's no reason to remain in the lobby any further.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom