I want more amiibo support

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'd be against it, mostly because I'm very, very tired of seeing content of any sort locked behind what are usually impossible to get figures.

Heck, it bugs me enough that I cant try out the different challenges (and the additional minigames) because of the lack of the Splatoon amiibos that I've NEVER ONCE SEEN in any store ever, because NOBODY CARRIES THEM. Oh, but they sure have Mario and Pikachu! ENTIRE RACKS of those. Which never sell. Possibly because everyone already has those.

I'd have to pay some damn scalper to get the damn Splatoon ones. Or order them from somewhere, which can actually be worse; I *really* hate ordering things. After having seen some shipping facilities from the inside, I do not for a second trust "basic" shipping, so I have to use FedEx (which is pricey), and that means travelling to their damn receiving station every time I order anything. Yay, let's spend gas as well!

Granted, in my case it's not the money that's the problem; I really have no practical spending limit. It's more the principle of the thing. It just bothers me too much.

I've ended up loathing Skylanders because of it, because those damn things are what likely gave Nintendo this bloody annoying idea in the first place.

DLC, I'm fine with. You pay for it, sure, but you can get it whenever; you dont have to worry about it being in stock somewhere. You just go online and grab it. But THIS.... ugh. I hate them.
I'd actually love it if the amiibo cards would work exactly like the figures, giving you the DLC bonuses. Cards are a lot easier/cheaper to manufacture so that the people who want that can use that as an alternative seeing as there's a heavy shortage in some places. Not to mention scalpers inflating prices, amiibos over here can exceed 100 euroes and i'm like screw that lol

But as it stands a lot of features given don't really justify getting them, it's more like an extra on the side (Aside from sound test in Splatoon, that really should've been included without amiibo). But when you want them but you can't, then it gets a bit frustrating.

You can order them from amiibo heaven Australia, where i'll be getting mine from Ebay for a more reasonable price. It's a ways away, but at least i won't be feeding a scalper.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Actually Amiibos are getting more common- I saw some retail exclusives from a wave or two ago like Jiggs selling for regular retail price. I really hope they make Amiibo pins or something like the ones on lanyards at disneyland, etc.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
Actually Amiibos are getting more common- I saw some retail exclusives from a wave or two ago like Jiggs selling for regular retail price. I really hope they make Amiibo pins or something like the ones on lanyards at disneyland, etc.
They're only more common in very specific areas, is the problem. And from what I hear, not very many areas. Most people seem to be still finding the things to be impossible to locate.

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
for me my squid amiibo was actually quite easy to get, i brought the bundle that contained the game and the amiibo of amazon for around 60 quid. were i live in the uk we don't really have problems with amiibo hunting at all, last time i went there my local toy store had like 4 little macs and a couple rosalinas.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd actually prefer for Amiibos that are normally not "fully supported" (That is, the ones not coded to give you the Amiibo Missions) to give you coinage and super sea snails once a week or something like that.

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
I'd actually prefer for Amiibos that are normally not "fully supported" (That is, the ones not coded to give you the Amiibo Missions) to give you coinage and super sea snails once a week or something like that.
that would be good, how many snails would you be getting per amiibo, even if its just one that would be pretty op for me considering i have 8 amiibo other then my squid, and some people have loads of amiibo, so they could end up getting more snails then at a splatfest, on a weekly basis.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Nah, I live in Damn Stupid Hole in the Ground, also known as Illinois. As you might guess, I'm not very fond of it. I'm also sorta in the middle of nowhere (it's all farms and unending grass here), but even if I go north to the major shopping district that's nearby.... yeah. Marios everywhere, but nothing else. No collectible shows or anything like that around here. Stuff doesnt HAPPEN here.

As for the things being in demand and such, someone I know likes to go on about this issue, claiming that it's not Nintendo's fault, that it's all the retailer's doing (whichever one it is at the time), because they just wont order any of the more obscure amiibos to stock, because those dont sell. Hell, he claims that pretty much the entire thing isnt Nintendo's fault. He does this in extreme detail.

I have a hard time with that idea though, considering that A: the rare amiibos are bought out almost INSTANTLY whenever they do appear, and people tend to get just a BIT bothered when they cant find them, and B: the common ones that supposedly sell oh-so-well just sit on the racks; those racks pretty much never get restocked, because they never SELL. It's the case with absolutely every store I"m aware of in the area... and I'm aware of LOTS of them..
Interesting to hear the amiibo situation from other parts of the country. (I have heard from contacts in South Carolina that they are in plentiful supply there--even Rosalina & Luma.) I am definitely in the same boat as you though. I will not let the scalpers have their way, so I refuse to buy from them.

Target is known to be rather stingy with its store exclusives, which is why Rosalina & Luma and Jigglypuff are so sought after. GameStop and Best Buy both ordered multiple shipments of their exclusives (though even then, they sold out quickly), but Target did not expect the amiibo to sell and thus only ordered small quantities of Rosalina, then small quantities of Jigglypuff. It took until last week for Target to get another bunch of Rosalinas, so it sounds like Target is acknowledging their supply issues. Wal•Mart does not have any exclusives (except Gold Mario), but whoever was responsible for ordering them was even stingier than at Target. Even Marios sell out at Wal•Marts I've visited.

From what I can gather, based on released sales charts for amiibo, some of them were produced in much, much higher numbers than others. You always see Mario and Pikachu on the shelves, for instance, because they're anticipated to sell best, and Nintendo's right. The bulk of those sales, of course, are from impulse buyers or parents looking for gifts. (For the record, my amiibo collection consists of just three: Donkey Kong, Sonic, and Wario. I had to travel to four locations on release day to find Wario. And for the record, the Inklings were already sold out when I looked around in the afternoon.)

I am pretty convinced, between amiibo shortages and shortages of video games in general (I seem to have a harder time finding rare games than most others), that there is a pretty dedicated collectors' market where I live and likely some devoted scalpers too. I remember going to 12 locations to find BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger before giving up and getting it off Target.com, the only online retailer that wasn't selling it far above MSRP. (The day-one edition has a soundtrack.) I had to go to 4 locations before finding the last copy of Sonic Lost World. I spent three years until I could track down an offline copy of Zack & Wiki. It's really no surprise to me that amiibo are so insanely hard to get, as I have to beat the collectors and scalpers to get them.

I don't know why retailers don't put a sales limit. Maybe even check for ID to make sure scalpers don't just go from store to store and buy 1 from fifty locations or something.

P.S. Since the wave containing Wario came out on the same day as Splatoon, I also noticed that every location I visited still had plenty of copies of Splatoon while the Inkling amiibo, all three kinds, were long gone. That is, the Inkling amiibo were selling better than the game. Fry's Electonics did get a few Inkling Girls later on though.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
that would be good, how many snails would you be getting per amiibo, even if its just one that would be pretty op for me considering i have 8 amiibo other then my squid, and some people have loads of amiibo, so they could end up getting more snails then at a splatfest, on a weekly basis.
Could be a dieroll of snails based on the rarity of the Amiibo (commons give 1d3, rares give 1d5).

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
I never bothered about amiibos at all, so I'm glad there is not more than a few weapon reskins, some missions and mediocre gear locked behind the amiibo-wall :)

oval

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Weatie
Switch Friend Code
SW-0864-5796-0493
Target had them for preorder just recently, and I was able to get a hold of those. They were.. $38 and change instead of amazon or ebay that had them listed for around $80.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Do you mean the Inkling three-pack? And if so, are these pre-orders still available?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Target had them for pre-order last Friday morning. But they were gone in about 3-5 hours.
In Target's website, if the pre-order button is greyed out, you can't order one.

Charlie

Inkling
NNID
Trubble_Bubble
Target had them for pre-order last Friday morning. But they were gone in about 3-5 hours.
In Target's website, if the pre-order button is greyed out, you can't order one.
OMG don't remind me. Found out at the last second Target had preorders and was able to add a Dr. Mario, Anniversary Pixel Mario, and Zero-Suit Samus to my shopping cart, and then have Target remove Pixel Mario and Samus from my cart before I could check out. :<

Dang you Nintendo, make enough already. When that Dr. Mario arrives all he will represent is my spite towards you, and grief that I'll still lap up these inaction-figures.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
OMG don't remind me. Found out at the last second Target had preorders and was able to add a Dr. Mario, Anniversary Pixel Mario, and Zero-Suit Samus to my shopping cart, and then have Target remove Pixel Mario and Samus from my cart before I could check out. :<

Dang you Nintendo, make enough already. When that Dr. Mario arrives all he will represent is my spite towards you, and grief that I'll still lap up these inaction-figures.
I can understand your pain. Amiibo is such a huge issue for everyone who wants a character that's isn't Mario or Peach.
My brother paid $23 for the Inkling Boy and $28 for the Inkling Girl. And I paid $50 for the Inkling Squid and $30 for Rosalina.
While I understand why Scalpers do what they do, I am against the practice.

The main problem is that Nintendo is making too much Mario, Peach, Luigi, and Bowser and not enough Marth, Lucina, Robin, Ike, Splatoon Amiibo.
Yes, the Mario Series Amiibo has a lot of uses and has a high demand but the Fire Emblem Amiibo has a lot of uses too and there's barely
any out there and the Splatoon Amiibo lock Single Player content and "good looking" outfit and weapons behind them and they also go ridiculously
fast.

So that leaves the people who are busy with work, school, or life having to pay far more than MSRP for Amiibo because scalpers stay up at
obnoxious hours grabbing every last rare Amiibo at MSRP and then turn around selling them for a much higher price.
It feels like Nintendo wants this to happen as every new Amiibo has to be store exclusive. Yes, how Amazon handled Palutena was brilliant,
but that's the exception, not the rule.

Earlier this year, Nintendo mentioned in TWO Nintendo Directs, "Hey! We're making more Marth Amiibo! It'll be easier to find one!".
Nintendo, Marth is still one of the rarest Amiibo to get today, so that was a waste. So yes, I don't have too much Amiibo.
It's far more effort and money than it's worth.

BlueInk

Inkster Jr.
It would be cool to have more Amiibo support, but it's such a pain to get them. Every time I go to the store to look for Amiibo, all the ones I want are gone. And that goes with the Splatoon Amiibos. Would be cool, but I don't want to spend $40 on something that is worth $15.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
The other day I decided to go amiibo hunting to see if I could work out what the rarest amiibo in the UK is, only to find that I was able to track down pretty much all of them at RRP without any trouble. I even found a bunch of Meta Knights in a shop, and he's meant to be unicorn status. I don't know what's going on in the States that's making it so much tougher, but I feel for you guys.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
One word: Scalpers.

Well, they're not the sole reason amiibo are so scarce in the United States, as without these supply problems, the scalpers wouldn't be targeting amiibo in the first place. This problem is of no benefit to Nintendo of America, so I'm certain that the reason behind their lack of availability is something out of Nintendo of America's hands.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
They're only more common in very specific areas, is the problem. And from what I hear, not very many areas. Most people seem to be still finding the things to be impossible to locate.
Oh I meant online- it makes sense there isn't enough shelf space for all the 'less popular' amiibo, but it makes it a problem with the sets of characters who are not Mario/Pikachu/Kirby/Link/Etc. I am just glad they are cheaper and I prefer to order online in the first place.

One word: Scalpers.

Well, they're not the sole reason amiibo are so scarce in the United States, as without these supply problems, the scalpers wouldn't be targeting amiibo in the first place. This problem is of no benefit to Nintendo of America, so I'm certain that the reason behind their lack of availability is something out of Nintendo of America's hands.
Well its a tough balancing act- If NOA decides to make all the 'rare' amiibos that scalpers have by the thousands like Rosalina, the scalpers may fear they will lose money and try and sell their products cheaply and in mass- suddenly there is a huge unwanted stock of a less popular character which drives demand and profits for amiibo down, etc. Its a weird situation but I am glad you can get a lot more of the amiibo for normal price now (online.)

oval

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Weatie
Switch Friend Code
SW-0864-5796-0493
The other day I decided to go amiibo hunting to see if I could work out what the rarest amiibo in the UK is, only to find that I was able to track down pretty much all of them at RRP without any trouble. I even found a bunch of Meta Knights in a shop, and he's meant to be unicorn status. I don't know what's going on in the States that's making it so much tougher, but I feel for you guys.
I wish I could actually go amiibo hunting around me, but the stores in my area only ever have the most generic ones.

I hate to double post, but Best Buy Canada stocked some up. It looks like the 3 Packs are sold out though.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/Search...1fe414314b86bb581f8en20&query=splatoon+amiibo

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom