• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I was in S rank once... (how to deal with severe losing streak?)

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
That's a fair point, Tim. Unfortunately, this is a continuation of a conversation from another thread. I've pointed out that there are many factors that cause people to lose, including simple bad luck.
I see.

I haven't really kept up with the various walls of text that go on here. I find them a bit tedious (although I fondly remember a time in my life where I participated in such things, so no judgment here). After reading your response though, I'm not sure you, @Award, and @jsilva are too off from one another. Perhaps different emphases on different syllables, but I think mostly coming from the same spot.

Everyone agrees that losing streaks don't have a simple answer. Everyone agrees that the matchmaking is fairly terrible. Most have noticed an uptick in difficulty as one gets higher within the same rank. The best advice is still probably to walk away for awhile, even if your experience defies all logic (e.g. jsilva and his son).

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I know that's the text book way of dealing with a losing streak, but I mean when I put it down for the day and come back again later and still lose it's still a bit tough. It didn't all happen over the course of one day so even when I did put the game down and come back again it never let up.
This is because of the very stupid way Elo handles promotions in games where you can win several times in rapid succession. Elo doesn't assess skill nor does it determine the level you can perform an consistently. It literally calculates probabilities of winning. If you win several times in a short window (like a winning streak), it tricks Elo into thinking you have a higher chance of winning against tougher opponents than you can realistically defeat. What happens is that win streaks slingshot people into a pool of players that are actually well beyond what they're capable of beating. That's when the losing streak begins.

You then keep losing until you fall back to the level you should have been at the entire time. Walking away from the game will not reset this: if you are out of your league, you're out of your league. What it WILL do is prevent you from getting stressed out so much that you aren't even capable of playing at your usual level, thus causing you to fall into a group of players that are much worse players than you are. If that happens, you'll go into another win streak because you'll get matched up with a bunch of players that are no challenge at all. This will slingshot you back up to the level where you're outmatched, thus the whole process starts again. By playing with a cool head, you're more likely to maintain a consistent level of play, thus your losing streak will even things out sooner. So, you can either stop after so many losses or just ride it out. If you ride it out, at least you'll get a feel for when losing streaks are coming and can prepare for them I suppose.

I haven't really kept up with the various walls of text that go on here. I find them a bit tedious (although I fondly remember a time in my life where I participated in such things, so no judgment here).
I try to get to the point, as text walls make my eyes glaze over. I don't blame anyone for tl;dr skipping them.

jazuren

Inkling
NNID
Jazuren
This is because of the very stupid way Elo handles promotions in games where you can win several times in rapid succession. Elo doesn't assess skill nor does it determine the level you can perform an consistently. It literally calculates probabilities of winning. If you win several times in a short window (like a winning streak), it tricks Elo into thinking you have a higher chance of winning against tougher opponents than you can realistically defeat. What happens is that win streaks slingshot people into a pool of players that are actually well beyond what they're capable of beating. That's when the losing streak begins.

You then keep losing until you fall back to the level you should have been at the entire time. Walking away from the game will not reset this: if you are out of your league, you're out of your league. What it WILL do is prevent you from getting stressed out so much that you aren't even capable of playing at your usual level, thus causing you to fall into a group of players that are much worse players than you are. If that happens, you'll go into another win streak because you'll get matched up with a bunch of players that are no challenge at all. This will slingshot you back up to the level where you're outmatched, thus the whole process starts again. By playing with a cool head, you're more likely to maintain a consistent level of play, thus your losing streak will even things out sooner. So, you can either stop after so many losses or just ride it out. If you ride it out, at least you'll get a feel for when losing streaks are coming and can prepare for them I suppose.
I think it was most definitely me being too reckless with my play style lately (right after I feel to A) because I felt like I had to compensate for everyone else... But I don't think I got that far and stayed there from just being carried. I'm not saying I'm an awesome player or anything, but it can't be possible to make it that high and not lose rank immediately after getting to S. Your advice is very helpful though, thank you! :)

Shuggi

Senior Squid
NNID
Splatshuggi
If you severely lose, just play turf war each time you lose.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
So I had a really good night in SZs yesterday. When I noticed I started getting frustrated I remembered what @BlackZero said and I took a breath, focused on what I needed to do and I ended up winning much more than I lost. I even had a few 16 kill games with the CJS (that thing is a monster in SZs, but I couldn't get it to work in TC).

Also, I asked Hitzel on stream how he stays calm and he said that he used to rage but it didn't help his team, so he had to just make a decision to be better. So, yeah, I tried to take that to heart and it worked yesterday. I also avoided RM, because I need more discipline before I tackle that again...

Captain Haddock

Inkster Jr.
NNID
iDad_1
Over the past few weeks I have gradually risen to A- 90. This was entirely due to the steady improvement of my skills.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a mammoth losing streak in a single session, where I dropped to the bottom of B+. This was due to a combination of poor matchmaking, team-mates not playing the objective and very skillful, coordinated opponents. It had nothing at all to do with the amount that I had to drink.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
It's one thing to say the MM sucks (which it does), but to say that it's deliberately setting people up to lose several matches in a row is something else entirely.
The patterning I'm seeing is beginning to look more like a bug than it being rigged. It may be rigged, I'd still consider that an option for player distributions through lobbies, but it strikes me more as a calculation error, specifically if you end up in a particular pool of playstyle/performance where it's more likely to happen.

Therein likes the problem though. It's very easy for bias to impact how a person feels they've played, so their own self assessment may not be reliable. I can tell you that I feel I did exceptionally well, but someone may watch me play and think I did horribly. I would be more apt to believe the observer than myself because they aren't subject to the same level of bias regarding my performance that I was.
It's not too difficult to assess performance. Your k/d gives you an idea of how you handled combat relative to other matches, and your own performance in pushing the objective and/or defending the objective is obvious to you. If you pushed the objective the farthest of your team, or were the only one able to stop the incoming objective, those are very good indicators. I get much more frustrated when I know I'm playing badly than when I'm losing. I know when I do well or bad. And with support/tactical weapons rather than aggro shooters, it's much easier to have a handle on that. With aggro weapons, the adrenaline frenzy can make it difficult, I agree. I used to think I did so well with splash-o-matic, but my numbers and objectives showed otherwise. The adrenaline made it feel that way though. With eliters, chargers, hydras, blasters where every action is deliberate and methodical you get a more even feel for what you're doing and when/why you're doing it. I know very much when I'm doing well or poorly. it's also harder to get frustrated that way.

. Similarly, putting a cap on win streaks helps even more,
This, seriously, circles the heart of the problem itself. Any game where you have to prevent yourself from WINNING in order to avoid being made to LOSE, is inherently fundamentally broken. To actually have to be stressed and stop playing, because you're doing well and the matchmaker is actually working is awful. having to consider THROWING matches in order to WIN more to game the system is the antithesis of what ranks are supposed to represent.

This statement right here is the crux of why I say the only solution is to come to terms with the nature of the game and play to enjoy it, ignoring rank. If you don't it's going to be awful.

What you describe, where you only get a series of losing streaks with no winning streaks is contradictory to how Elo functions. In statistics, this is called an outlier. There is a possibility of it happening, but it is far from the norm. An overwhelming preponderance of evidence established that, if a person goes into a win streak, they can expect a proportional losing streak to follow, then a likewise proportional win streak after that, and so on. By limiting the extent of these streaks (both winning and losing), you stabilize this trend and make these win and loss streaks less drastic. This is not a new phenomenon nor is it unique to Splatoon.
That's exactly my point, the series of losing streaks with no winning streaks should indeed be an outlier. And yet, this frequently occurs in Splatoon, at least for certain players. The wins come slow and steady with an alternation of losses, exactly as you'd expect to climb ranks. When the losing streak kicks in it's absolute. And although you'd point to the psychology of it, once you've not played it with that sense of frustration because you already accepted it will happen, that's not an influencer. The fact that what statistics says should happen is not happening is precisely what I've been saying. There's something else that happens.

What you describe after that, though, also goes back to the fact that B+ through S is really all one giant rank and most of its players are caught up in one giant win/lose streak somewhere between. But I'd also point out the streaks do not appear to be proportional. The upward climb is always more difficult (and actually more frustrating) than the downward descent.

The advice of limiting the streaks by making sure to NOT win too much is horrible both in that it suggests not playing the game you want to play when you want to play it, as well as alluding to the possibility of intentional losses to game the system. That's horrible on its own. Catastraophic in a team game.

Splatoon is a somewhat unfortunate case of this, as Splatfests pretty much encourage binge playing to maximize snail pay-outs. In other games that use Elo, the incentive to maintain a stable player value that gives more consistently fair matchups outweights the incentives behind marathon play. With Splatfests, people are more or less driven to keep playing in spite of win or loss streaks to hit King level.
Binge playing is how I play all games. :)

Absolutely. I've never dismissed that as a possibility. I don't think it happens regularly enough to explain someone dropping three full ranks, but I do believe it is a factor in short-term losing streaks and general losse
eople often blame teammates or unfair match-ups for their losses, and I get that they are blowing off steam.

SZ yesterday, Carbon roller, my standby main on Mahi. I got a full team wipe next to the zone. Traded on #4. My team did not reclaim the zone. Its inexplicable. That's not "blaming my team" to blow off steam. It's a stated fact that they're simply bad at playing Splatoon.

Teams like that are not at all unusual. It happens a lot more than you think. It's not that they're bad shots, they're just inattentive entirely. That's the dreaded A range players I spoke of. Once I fell to B+ again games started getting a lot more competent. You wouldn't think so....but seems normal.

This is all very true, and all very stupid, BUT it ignores a few aspects of Splatoon. It's a team game. and being assigned these slingshotted players, in a game that is likely to create LARGE numbers of them, will carry you with their trajectory. If you happen to have a stat that makes it more likely to be assigned these players, you will often end in that trajectory. Not everyone, in fact most people, experiencing this problem seems to have been slingshotted past their own skill. Additionally, the slingshot effect should naturally not be nearly as wide as it appears to be. Additionally the point system that has different point rewards by rank and the fact that it does NOT generate matches based on rank, but wildly above or below, and then assigns very different penalties/points based on that matchup dump gasoline on the effect. Carrying players in trajectories they didn't earn not by winning or losing more but by winning the "right" matches or losing the "wrong" ones. I know you're aware of all this and agree, but you have to factor in the internal muddling that amplifies whatever elo does to something bigger than just "false win estimates"

Additionally, being in the "pool of players" say, S rank, that outrank you, should mean once you hit them, you start your losing streak. But a player that gets to S 60, then down to S 20 then up to S65, then down to S 22, then up to S 55 then has a losing streak into the A's doesn't sound "in over their heads" unless the matchmaker ISN'T matchmaking based on ranks but only on elo pools. In which case we're backed to the "the rank letter is in fact meaningless, ignore it and play."

This isn't a commercial activity, it's playing a video game. Any conversation that results in "don't win so much" or "don't play as much" points to a deeper problem. It's not blackjack.

Some of what you said made me think of something else though....a potential part of the problem....and maybe something other than elo entirely.
SPLATNET

Splatnet shows you what they call your "rank" both for TW and for ranked. It's a simplistic calculation of win rate * rounds won. It resets weekly. What if THIS is what they're using to seed the matchmaker? That would imply that players who play the most rounds, would inherently have a higher score so long as they're fairly good players that win fairly consistently. Not by actually having a higher win rate, but by having a good win rate and playing many many rounds compared to other players at the same point in the week? That would also mean "playing less" would be beneficial for matchmaking. It would mean more frequent players would be matched against harder players. It would also imply that you'd have a weekly curve of difficulty. And could account for fueling horrible win/loss streak swings.

If the matchmaker then mostly disregards rank or uses it only as a modifier against this score, that would account for horribly, horrendous matchmaking...and would account for different players with different play habits being affected differently by it.

EDIT: Just checked my Splatnet ranked "rank" and my score is quite a bit higher than several people currently in S rank on my list. I assume squads dont contribute to that score at all, as jsilva's score is low enough to suggest only a few rounds were played. Mine is compratively exceptionally high to all players on my list despite losing about 4 rounds for every one win - but I've played a lot of rounds so far. Which if it uses this for matchmaking also suggests this score isn't used and could be why squads get better teams.

Last edited:

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
This, seriously, circles the heart of the problem itself. Any game where you have to prevent yourself from WINNING in order to avoid being made to LOSE, is inherently fundamentally broken.
I've been unambiguously clear that I think Elo is a horrible matchmaker for these types of games.

There's something else that happens.
If the matchmaker can't find enough appropriate candidates for a single match, it probably draws from a wider range of players that may not be ideal. This is how most matchmakers work. You may get thrown in with some people who are matched up just to make a full lobby.

What you describe after that, though, also goes back to the fact that B+ through S is really all one giant rank and most of its players are caught up in one giant win/lose streak somewhere between.
I've said many times that Splatoon's matchmaker probably keeps "hidden" ranks that are defined by player value or matchmaker rating (MMR). These are probably separate from your in-game rank, as they would have to be numeric values the algorithm can use in its calculations. So your letter rank is not what the computer uses to determine what caliber of players you get matched with. Letter ranks may represent a range of player values that are considered separate tiers of players, but I suspect it's more for player consumption. I think the matchmaker uses a different ranking system for its calculations that may not line up exactly with the in-game rank system.

This is because your K factor (how many points your rank increases) fluctuates with wins, but is largely the same with losses. In actual Elo calculations, it fluctuates with both wins and losses depending on the different in player value between you and your opponent. I imagine this causes your in game rank and your actual matchmaking rank to fall out of synch. As many others here have pointed out, rank doesn't guarantee anything about a player's performance.

The advice of limiting the streaks by making sure to NOT win too much is horrible both in that it suggests not playing the game you want to play when you want to play it, as well as alluding to the possibility of intentional losses to game the system.
Okay. I really don't know what you want me to say here. I'm explaining how it works and giving people their options. It's up to each person to decide which they prefer. I'm sorry if this upsets you, but don't shoot the messenger.

That's exactly my point, the series of losing streaks with no winning streaks should indeed be an outlier. And yet, this frequently occurs in Splatoon, at least for certain players.
I have no doubts it is frequent. When you have over four million Splatoon copies sold as of Dec 2015, and only ONE of those people can play up to 500 or 600 matches in a single day, even outliers are going to be fairly frequent. That doesn't mean they are the norm and the documented effects of win/loss streaks on an Elo matchmaker are completely invalid.

but you have to factor in the internal muddling that amplifies whatever elo does to something bigger than just "false win estimates"
That's precisely how it works though. Elo doesn't measure skill, and it doesn't measure consistency. It measures your player value. Once your player value increases past a certain point, it groups you in another tier of players and adjusts your win probability accordingly. It doesn't know or care how you got to that level and it doesn't measure your performance over time to see if you can play at that level consistently, it just sees you in that tier and says "oh, your character is in the same matchmaking tier as these other players and I've found a group that you have a 50% chance of beating with a specific team configuration. This is clearly a fair match." You have to realize that it doesn't recognize your ability or skill. Unfortunately, you are literally a number as far as the matchmaker is concerned.

Some of what you said made me think of something else though....a potential part of the problem....and maybe something other than elo entirely.
SPLATNET
That's entirely possible. I don't honestly feel like looking in to this any further at the moment (I spend enough time looking at spreadsheets and data sets every day to begin with). You're welcome to check it to it. It could explain these "black swans" people keep describing.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I've been unambiguously clear that I think Elo is a horrible matchmaker for these types of games.
Yes, I know you do. And you've explained well the swings that elo CAN product, but what my focus is is why it's so exaggerated, more than I should expect elo should be. And why the losing streaks are more punctuated than losing streaks (aside from psychology, I understand where you're coming from on that, but for theory's sake we should remove that from at least specific discussions between you and I and assume that's not a cause. I realize that remains a cause in broad discussion, but from my angle it's something of a different case.

I've said many times that Splatoon's matchmaker probably keeps "hidden" ranks that are defined by player value or matchmaker rating (MMR). These are probably separate from your in-game rank, as they would have to be numeric values the algorithm can use in its calculations. So your letter rank is not what the computer uses to determine what caliber of players you get matched with. Letter ranks may represent a range of player values that are considered separate tiers of players, but I suspect it's more for player consumption. I think the matchmaker uses a different ranking system for its calculations that may not line up exactly with the in-game rank system.
Yeah, that sounds a lot more right, and goes a lot further into what's really going on. If your "rank" is in fact not your actual rank for matchmaking purposes that gets a lot closer to understanding some of what we see. Most discussion starts with the premise that your rank is what is at stake and being matchmade upon. If we start with the assumption that it's not and that's just "for display" it becomes different. And it also explains why there's such a wide spread in player ability in ranks, if that rank is more a reflection on who can game the rank scoring more than actual player rank.

To go deeper though, I'd love to know how it determines who gets assigned on what teams in terms of how to explain one team being significantly better than the other. I saw numerous lobbies last weekend in, I think it was in the A lobbies, where my team were all B+ & A- and the enemy team was a solid team of 4 S's. Using the letter ranks that makes ZERO sense to not split the S's half and half even if it used them to fill a lobby. But if it's NOT using the letter ranks for matchmaking....as the highest ranked on my team, somehow my player value must have been close to the 4 S's.... and somehow the B+ must have been as well?

And that, of course in itself makes the rank letters pretty meaningless (as you said) if the real computational rank's can be very different and spread across ranks, the "B+" might be a 640 and the S might be a 720. And your fellow A might be a 225, but due to the shared points they all end up in letter ranks that don't match their real matchmaking ranks at all.

That's precisely how it works though. Elo doesn't measure skill, and it doesn't measure consistency. It measures your player value. Once your player value increases past a certain point, it groups you in another tier of players and adjusts your win probability accordingly. It doesn't know or care how you got to that level and it doesn't measure your performance over time to see if you can play at that level consistently, it just sees you in that tier and says "oh, your character is in the same matchmaking tier as these other players and I've found a group that you have a 50% chance of beating with a specific team configuration. This is clearly a fair match." You have to realize that it doesn't recognize your ability or skill. Unfortunately, you are literally a number as far as the matchmaker is concerned.
Right, and that's bad enough on 1 players scores, but then when good/bad team mixes and other people in tiers they shouldn't be are lumped into your score, and it's not measuring skill nor consistency but only "how much you win and lose" often based on factors other than your own playing (keeping in mind in a 4v4 game your playing is only 25% of the result - unless you're good enough to carry, and against competent opponents, no one is good enough to carry in a team game.) the ranks really are broken. The pace or skills might go up as ranks go up but generally the whole thing is a free for all. It feels like there's really 3 different ranks, <B+, B+-S, S+. Bottom and top are similarly separate and everything in the middle is just people drifting back and forth between both. (It's kind of asymptotic though, there's a giant hole at A- that has more in common with C+ :D)

That's entirely possible. I don't honestly feel like looking in to this any further at the moment (I spend enough time looking at spreadsheets and data sets every day to begin with). You're welcome to check it to it. It could explain these "black swans" people keep describing.
I'm not quite sure where to look to look into it, but while it would be horrendously bone-headed for Nintendo to use that, I have a disturbing feeling they very well might. If they do it would have to use letter rank as a modifier, or use previous weeks as modifiers. It would sway so greatly with simply playing more games that it would explain a lot. I think I'm a "345" at the moment, which includes the losing streak mostly, plus a number of wins yesterday, (squads aside, I'm pretty sure they're not included in the score.) My TW number, last week after playing a lot of TW, was in the 700's. And in TW I typically have S & S+ opponents, so that number would make a lot o sense. wins * win rate. But I'm not sure what they mean by win rate. On paper it sounds like percentage (play 100 games, win half = 50*.5, or ratio (1:1) 50*1 but that's definitely not it, numbers are generally in the hundreds. I can't figure out a meaning of "win rate" that would realistically generate numbers within a few hundred of 500 all the time (but can produce single digits if you play only a few rounds.) My TW score right now is 8 because I've only played 2-4 TW games and won all but 1 of them.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
what my focus is is why it's so exaggerated, more than I should expect elo should be
That is because of the K factor. I suspect Splatoon uses a really high K factor so that it can sort people in to their proper tier quickly. This means that the actual ranges of player values for each tier were not expanded proportionally to this k factor. When you have a high K factor (determines how much your Elo rating increases and decreases) that's out of synch with the actual tiers, you can jump a few tiers very quickly if you win a lot. For example, look at the Elo rating for chess here. Each tier spans 200 points. With the set K factor of 32, a person's player rating will increase/decrease in increments of about 15 depending on how they play. This means it takes quite a bit of time to rise up through the ranks even if you don't lose once.

If we increase the K factor to 64 but leave the point ranges for ranks alone, it will take half the time for someone to climb the ranks if they win every match. The higher that goes, the fewer the matches a player must win in order to climb tiers, provided those tiers remain the same. This is what I think happened to Splatoon. the devs made the K factor really high and did not adjust the ranks to suit hoping that people would keep winning until they reached a point where they won and lost about the same number of times. This would make them level out and stay in a certain range. However, if a person won a lot even within their proper tier, they could easily climb another two or three tiers until they hit a wall.

This is what I was trying to describe when I say people get sling-shotted into tiers that are well above their ability. I imagine that even within S rank, there's a "low, med., high" S rank, a "low, mid, high" S+, etc. that the in-game ranking system doesn't show. So, just because someone shows up as S, it could mean they are one of three different tiers of S rank. In this case, a person might think they are only climbing one rank by going from A+ to S- when they are actually jumping six hidden ranks that only Elo references. S might have a problem with too many A ranks getting thrown up there where they don't belong. When you get matched up with S ranks, you may get some from the high S tier, then a bunch of people who really should be A rank.

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
In order to keep my rank if I lose 3 matches in a row I stop and go into turf wars. I didn't do that last weekend and went from S90 to A+36 lol ouch.
I obviously didn't listen to my rule but I sure did have fun. I figure I would learn regardless and get my s rank back eventually.
I am personally trying to get my kill number higher than my deaths. It doesn't automatically mean our team will win but it's something I have been striving for.

So anyhow take a break if you lose 3 or more in a row and keep trying. You will learn and get better for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom