• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I'd like to apologize.

CK3

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Icarus3
To all the new kids. It's the holidays. A lot of new people joined. I saw a lot of kids from 4-10 in levels... And i'm sorry. For taking advantage of your awkward walking. when you looked at the sky and shot at it. or when you were a roller that got stuck on a box or stopped for a second after splatting someone.
I'll say this to all the new kids. I BELIEVE IN YOU. YOU WILL GO FAR.

RedML51

Senior Squid
NNID
RedML51
Yea yea, everyone starts somewhere!

But also, for a game with visuals so endearing to young children, its competitive online environment doesn't really fit well in a way.
Although I've never really been quite sure how the game got an E10+ rating, one should probably be at least that age, if not a bit older, in order to compete adequately and competently online.

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
I felt bad for squidbagging so many newbies on Christmas Day so today I put on the starter gear, grabbed my Splattershot jr. and inked the floors with the competition. I'm talking like 1200p without the win bonus. I felt I should pay tribute to the noobs. Oh, and I found a new main out of it.

Silentium

Senior Squid
I'm surprised at how many new folk joined in recently. I used to have matches with mostly level 30+ people, but now its the opposite. Hopefully they wont get spooked off and stay for a while.

Crimsoninkling

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
BramWildenberg
I feel pitty for them. MUST EXPLOIT THE WEAK!!! whoops that sounds wrong.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
During the splatfest there were lots of new kids against my teams of high levels so I started Lots of squid parties and blatantly walked past new kids, hoping they'd realise they could splat me. It was sad, most of them didn't even notice and I was like COME ONNNNN I'M TRYING TO GET SPLATTED HERE!

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I was going to start a new thread for "guilt trips induced by things you regret doing out of habit to noobs" but this thread serves the same purpose. :)

What's the thing each of you feel the most guilty doing by rote to a noob that you feel so awful for that you want to salt and sautee your squiddy self over?

Mine was on Kelp Dome TW today. I was playing around with various weapons (man I still suck at hydra) and then decided to cap it off with returning to Carbon which I've been trying to duo-main with chargers. A bit of practice so I dont get rusty. When the match started i went forward to the side section behind the ramp wall to paint, and saw a sniper laser. I ducked behind the wall and saw an inkling in a straw boater hat up on the grates with a splatterscope. There was another player with her with a splattershot. Both just seemed to be standing there, presumably camping for the roller that just ducked behind the wall. As I considered how to evade and counter, the sniper just kind of strolls away down the grate as though she must have just seen a mirage (in the circle of green ink painted in front of her eyes...) Cool, I only have to deal with the splattershot.

Near the end of the match, I'm coming around the mid tower and see this same cute little inkling girl in the straw boater, facing the ground, charger in hand, shooting over and over again at the floor, I"d say 1/4 charged shots. A floor that was already painted. Over and over again, standing smack in the middle of the main hallway circle around the mid tower in one spot.... Out of rote I fired off a few burst bombs....she ran to the other side of the tower. Out of rote, I sneak-evaded, swung around the other side, and slammed down the roller. Just as slammed my roller down I wished I could cancel the move, as I realized after she evaded my burst bombs and ran to the other side of the tower, in her cute little (useless to a charger except Custom Eliter with beacons) strawboater hat, she then proceeded to just stand in on place shooting the floor on the OTHER side of the tower as though that side was now safe, never expecting someone could follow here there, and there was me being a complete jerk triumphantly landing the killshot on the wounded little inkling endlessly shooting at the floor.

I feel like a total jerk that just ruined the joy of discovering chargers in Splatoon some little kid was having with their new Christmas toy :( That's the one I apologize for!

As a tribute and token of disgrace, I remembered the 1-slot "super jump speed up" strawboater was in my hat store today. I walked over and bought it and will wear it when I take out my splat charger/splatterscope - maybe eliter too, for at least a week in TW to atone. :):( (Plus the strawboaters are as adorable on inklings as they are on Animal Crossig Villiagers! :D)

_17chan

Inkling
NNID
sinkychan17
i'm actually below level 20, but i rented this game on launch day and multiple times since then, i just don't have the time to play it often. i find i do quite well for a newbie, though. my win/loss ratio is very much in the positive area, and i tend to bag 1st or 2nd spot in the rankings even against / with people level 30+. it's all about skill, either way. i've also learned a lot more from playing it now that i finally own it haha.

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
Yea yea, everyone starts somewhere!
Exactly. The game hasn't even been out for a year yet, so nobody is really that removed from when they first started, even the pros.

I know it wasn't that long ago that I was getting splatted left and right in the Burgers vs. Pizza Splatfest, so I definitely feel for the new players. I'm still pretty much a noob myself after all.

I find it much more fun to try to pull off an upset with a lower level team than to "rekt noobs" (not that someone of my skill level can do much rekting anyways, haha). Even though that can be hard, I think it's rewarding. You may even help someone learn something new by your example.

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
Although I've never really been quite sure how the game got an E10+ rating, one should probably be at least that age, if not a bit older, in order to compete adequately and competently online.
I'm sure part of it is because players are expected to have good hand-eye coordination by that age.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
No mercy! Or else ye' be sleeping with the Octopi.

SplatGrease

Senior Squid
NNID
splatsplatoon
I remember my first days of splatoon. I bought the game mid september so I had some competition with some already established players. I remember inking the ground while looking straight down, taking ages to find the squid button and finding myself confronting so many people that were so much people better than me. Now Im a competitive S+ player in TakeOver competing and going pretty far in the ESL and numerous tournaments that fly through the communtiy. Everybody starts badly everybody starts as a n00b but we were all one at some point. Dude was the members of Chimera were WhiteHawke once will have been utter crap with the e-litre but with practice and learning you get better and eventually become a well respected player. I played on christmas day like most players and felt upset at the amount of people who were going into turf and ruining the new players fun. They were doing it in a race to get the most kills. These people had bought the game to have fun and people were screwing it for them...... but everyone will get better and become amazing players so dont give up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom