Ideal Abilities for a .96 Gal Deco User?

Duster

Inkster Jr.
I'm not sure what abilities are the best for the .96 Gal Deco. Yeah you need Ink Saver Sub & Main but what else is needed?

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Maybe Special Charge Up, Special Duration Up and Ink Recovery Up? I haven't used the .96 Gal in a while (and I have never used the Deco one), but with shooters I always used Ink Saver (main) alongside Ink Recovery Up, and with the Kraken as the special it's hard to go wrong with abilities that improve it

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
Try running this:

Ink Saver Main
- Special Duration Up
- Special Duration Up
- Special Duration Up

Cold Blooded / Swim Speed Up
- Defense Up
- Defense Up
- Defense Up

Ink Resistance Up
- Ink Recovery Up
- Ink Recovery Up
- Ink Recovery Up

Duster

Inkster Jr.
Try running this:

Ink Saver Main
- Special Duration Up
- Special Duration Up
- Special Duration Up

Cold Blooded / Swim Speed Up
- Defense Up
- Defense Up
- Defense Up

Ink Resistance Up
- Ink Recovery Up
- Ink Recovery Up
- Ink Recovery Up
May I ask why Defense Up is important/ more important than other abilities?

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
Survivability is the most needed for such a close combat weapon

ch0wchilla

Inkster Jr.
Rhode's suggestion is pretty close to my own, except that my cold blooded shirt has ink saver main instead of the defence. I.e. I wear the following:

Studio Headphones
Sage Green Polo
Neon Green Sea Slugs

You could switch the shirt for the ink recovery variant (Sky Blue Squideye), if you feel that would fit your play style better.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Survivability is the most needed for such a close combat weapon
Actually, with the .96 Gal you usually want to make the most out of your long range capabilities; otherwise you might as well run the .52 Gal

Edit: And @LinkLuigi, the .96 Gal's accuracy is among the best in the shooter category; it's not as good in close range due to the slow rate of fire (although since you only require two hits, you can sometimes survive close range encounters if the enemy misses a lot)

Last edited:

LinkLuigi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
LinkLuigi730
Ink savers are definitely important as you will constantly be playing defensively at range with splash walls. Special Charge up is really helpful exclusively for the deco variation as you have your Kraken, which is the only time you should be getting up close with enemies. Damage ups are completely useless as it kills with a fixed two shots and defense ups shouldn't be needed if you are zoning out enemies. Just remember that the .96 gals are not weapons to be used up close as they have bad accuracy. Try to zone out your enemies and keep a safe distance instead

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
my set for the .96 deco is this:
:head_ncp001: with :ability_inksavermain::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:,
Carnivore tee ( cant find the emote for it, its the one with the animal skin design ) with :ability_defenseup::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: and strapping whites ( can't find the emote for these either, they're the white velcro strap shoes ) with :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Edit: And @LinkLuigi, the .96 Gal's accuracy is among the best in the shooter category;
It's the worst, not the best. It has a hard-coded ~20% probability of a shot going wide and most likely not hitting the enemy, which is a big problem considering its fire rate is really low, too. That's why it's dependent on the use of splash walls.

Ability-wise I recommend to focus on Ink Saver Main. Ink Saver Sub is not too useful. If you want something to make up for splash wall uses, either stack more Main Savers or get some Recovery Up. Run Speed, Swim Speed, Special Charge Up and Duration Up are fine, too.

ch0wchilla

Inkster Jr.
It has a hard-coded ~20% probability of a shot going wide
Very important for 96 users to know this.

I didn't initially and it led to some confusing/annoying moments when I thought my aim was off. If anyone's unsure, go to the firing range and pratice shooting at a target (longer range makes the effect more obvious).

LinkLuigi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
LinkLuigi730
Edit: And @LinkLuigi, the .96 Gal's accuracy is among the best in the shooter category; it's not as good in close range due to the slow rate of fire (although since you only require two hits, you can sometimes survive close range encounters if the enemy misses a lot)
The accuracy is bad, LMG. You can have your crosshair right on your target, but a few shots will still not hit, unlike a ranged weapons like the Jet Squelcher.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The accuracy is bad, LMG. You can have your crosshair right on your target, but a few shots will still not hit, unlike a ranged weapons like the Jet Squelcher.
Well, the Jet Squelcher has near-perfect accuracy (only bested by the Nozzlenoses), so it's not strange to not be able to beat it in that category. I'd still say that the accuracy on the .96 is pretty decent (especially when it is in the same category as the Aerospray, Jr. and the Sploosh-o-matic); even if it goes wide with that 20%, it's not going to deviate by much, and to me that counts as being accurate

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Well, the Jet Squelcher has near-perfect accuracy (only bested by the Nozzlenoses), so it's not strange to not be able to beat it in that category. I'd still say that the accuracy on the .96 is pretty decent (especially when it is in the same category as the Aerospray, Jr. and the Sploosh-o-matic); even if it goes wide with that 20%, it's not going to deviate by much, and to me that counts as being accurate
That's not true either, though. The .96 Gal's firing cone is also wider than those of other long-range weapons, enough so that that 20% chance that the shot will go to the edge of the cone is enough to actually cause a miss. Compare that to the Splattershot Pro, which has the same range. The Splattershot Pro also has a chance of a wide shot, at 10%, and this chance is higher than that of some other weapons, such as the Dual Squelcher and the Splattershot (at only 2%). However, despite this, the Splattershot Pro is generally known for being an accurate shooter. Why? Because its firing cone is unusually narrow for a weapon in its range class, which makes it less likely that its wide shots will actually miss.

Now, as far as firing cones go, it is true that long-range weapons will generally have narrower ones than short-range weapons, in order to prevent their shots from missing by a mile at long range. This does mean that their shots cannot deviate as much at shorter ranges, but it simply isn't fair to directly compare them to the short-range weapons this way because it's poor strategy to move closer to an opponent whom you outrange. Sure, at close range, your narrower firing cone might give you 100% accuracy compared to the other guy's 80%, but why would you take those odds when you could stand farther back and have 70% accuracy compared to the opponent's 0%?

The important thing to realize is that at the longer ranges at which you want to use the .96 Gal, its accuracy is poor compared to other weapons in its range class. So please don't go around telling people that the .96 Gal has "good" accuracy without any further explanation; it is quite misleading.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Alright then, the accuracy's bad, but I still wouldn't suggest using it for close range combat over the .52 Gal, even if one gets a Kraken

Box

Pro Squid
In the following order of priority:

-Cold Blooded
-Ink Resistance
-Ink Recovery
-Swim Speed
-Special Saver

LinkLuigi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
LinkLuigi730