Ideal equipment load out/ re-rolling for perfect gear.

Peter French

Inkling
What do you guys think is the best equipment for each "role" i.e. rollers/mid range/long range and do you think there will be any "staple" equipment for each roll? Also is it possible to get three of the same secondary abilities and if so do you think you will be attempting to re-roll to get that perfect gear?

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
So far from what I've seen, most skills are universally good for each weapon type. I think the staple skill for every loadout is stealth jump, which is equipment exclusive (so far I've only seen it on the rainbow arrows). Out of all the skills I've seen, however, bomb range up is nearly worthless. It barely increases the range, and doesn't help at all. Some other great skills include quick respawn, recon, last-ditch effort (in Turf Wars), bomb sniffer, and special charge up. To answer your second question, I know someone who got 3 quick jumps in the same gear. Remember, the more stacked the skill is, the last efficient it is

Last edited:

Peter French

Inkling
Hmm ya there are definitely some abilities which are pretty worthless like bomb range. If you are curious about which equipment gets what ability check out this reddit thread http://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/38wxv4/a_sortable_google_sheet_of_all_the_gear_in/

Also that is true about them being less effective but three of the same sub ability is still as good as one main so I bet there are some situations where having three of the same sub would be ideal.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Defense Up: The universal constant of good loadouts.
Everything else can vary, but one thing is always true; taking one more hit to splat can save your life (it's worked against me quite a few times).
Damage Up is neat too, if only to counter Defense Ups. Except on things like Rollers, charged Charger shots or Blaster rounds that splat in one hit, then the Damage Up slots aren't needed.
Also Ink Resistance is good for anyone that will be near enemies regularly. Mostly I think this is anything except Chargers (except maybe the Squiffers, that has less range than your average charger so maybe it could be better moving toward enemies rather than sitting safely atop a perch, but I never use those so I dunno), and you could maybe get away with not using it on the Squelchers (because they have huge range for a shooter), and perhaps the Dynamo Rollers too (since they have all that range, but maybe not since they're slow enough when they're not trying to escape enemy ink).
Ninja Squid will be great for any weaker weapon (sneaking up on people is how I got most of my Inkbrush splats, for example), while Cold-Blooded could be nice for snipers (Cold-Blooded to limit the effects of Point Sensor/Exholocator/Haunt and limit how long enemies know where you are), though only sometimes (it's a wasted slot if nobody brought those).
The Ink Savers will be great too (maybe you can skip Sub if you have something like Squid Beakon or something you don't use often or something), since having more shots is probably good to have, though maybe you could go with Ink Recovery Up instead (if you're confident that you don't need to shoot a lot at once).
Special Charge Up and Special Saver aren't strictly necessary, but could be helpful if you rely on your special a lot (the Krak-On Splat Roller comes to mind, so do the Splattershot Jr. and Custom/Rapid Blaster). Maybe Special Duration Up too, but I dunno about that (I'd rather have more frequent specials than longer ones, but that's just me).
Bomb Range Up is only useful on thrown sub-weapons, but it's pretty good on those (who doesn't want more range?).
I don't use Stealth Jump, but it should be good to drop in unannounced (also, not having to worry about enemies gathering around your super-jump circle is probably nice too).
Maybe Opening/Closing Gambit, Tenacity, Haunt and other abilities could be nice, but I don't use them, so I don't know much about them.
This is all just conjecture, dunno how much it's worth.

Also, yeah, you can get three of the same sub-ability (I have a Zekko Hoodie with three Special Savers), but I'm using the Octoling Armor for clothing right now, so I won't reroll it at the moment. Maybe someday, though.

Loki

Inkling
NNID
LokiOakenshield
I'm loaded with the Tentatek Splattershot with Pilot Goggles (bomb range) White Anchor T (ninja squid) and Yellow Seahorses (bomb sniffer) though I do switch those out with pro trail boots (also bomb sniffer) every now and then.
My Seahorses got double defense and quick respawn, Anchor T with double Damage and Special saver, and the goggle with single damage, A second bomb range, and something special related, charge up or duration, don't really remember.
I mostly play Ranked mode so I like the extra damage, defense, ninja squid, and bomb sniffer to rack up kills and avoid getting killed myself. And yes, at one point on a pair of shoes I re-rolled to a triple swim speed and wow, it was pretty darn fast, but pretty useless to my play style.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I actually found basic abilities to be more useful than others.
Ink Saver Main, Ink Saver Sub and Ink Recovery Up, is universally good for almost everything you do, especially for turf wars., then getting combined sub-perks for each of these 3 will max it out even further.
The most important rule i've found is to have something that keeps you going.
For Splat Zones, i'm still trying to figure out that one.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
It really depends for Roller in Splat Zones I found that having Tenacity/Special Duration Up, Special Charge Up, Ninja Squid, Ink Resistance Up - those for me are the most valuable main skills you can get. Especially as a Roller with Kraken - having that special up constantly is one of the most important things you can do.

Winter Soldier

Inkling
I've noticed alot of japanese players seem to be using speed ups with the ink brush ALOT recently. Seems every game I get matched with one they are turboing all over the map.

karamazovapy

Inkster Jr.
It really depends for Roller in Splat Zones I found that having Tenacity/Special Duration Up, Special Charge Up, Ninja Squid, Ink Resistance Up - those for me are the most valuable main skills you can get. Especially as a Roller with Kraken - having that special up constantly is one of the most important things you can do.
Does tenacity activate when one of your teammates is inactive due to respawning, or just when someone goes idle?

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
Does tenacity activate when one of your teammates is inactive due to respawning, or just when someone goes idle?
It's activated when someone dies, not just for people being AFK. That's why it's so good when you need to carry games as Roller.

Below is a good video that overviews the ability stacking options:

Pretty much for sub abilities your best bet is to get a variation of different abilities based around your main role. So for a roller like me having a faster and longer Kraken is key. I think that having multiple "speed" options on gear for a painbrush user is godly in terms of being too quick to take down. Personally painbrush requires too much pumping and thus I cannot play it but that weapon looks so bloody awesome.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
I think the staple skill for every loadout is stealth jump
absolutely not. abusing stealth jump is suicidal in good rooms, where people generally engage from long range instead of trying to spawn camp right in someone's face (unless they're a roller).

so far the only thing I'd even consider calling a staple skill is cold blooded and, on special-reliant weapons, special charge up or special saver.

2dtoday

Inkling
NNID
2dtoday
It's activated when someone dies, not just for people being AFK. That's why it's so good when you need to carry games as Roller.

Below is a good video that overviews the ability stacking options:

Pretty much for sub abilities your best bet is to get a variation of different abilities based around your main role. So for a roller like me having a faster and longer Kraken is key. I think that having multiple "speed" options on gear for a painbrush user is godly in terms of being too quick to take down. Personally painbrush requires too much pumping and thus I cannot play it but that weapon looks so bloody awesome.
Great video.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I'm not sure about ideal, but I am currently using gear with swim speed up, run speed up, and ink resistance as the main abilities, and by re-rolling - and given the increased probabilities attached to certain labels - I should hopefully have defence up, ink saver, and run speed up, fully represented across the sub abilities. This is a combo that I figured would fit well with my playstyle (charging around, inking a lot, and playing pretty aggressively).

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
absolutely not. abusing stealth jump is suicidal in good rooms, where people generally engage from long range instead of trying to spawn camp right in someone's face (unless they're a roller).

so far the only thing I'd even consider calling a staple skill is cold blooded and, on special-reliant weapons, special charge up or special saver.
I agree with Stealth Jump not being a good perk, I tried it for a couple of days and the time you loose because your jumps become slower is not worth it. You can counter this with the Fast Squid Jump perk but that leaves you with less slots for other abilities. Anyway, if you see your friend is fighting someone and you stealth jump in you can be killed upon landing by a stray shot or rolled over by an enemy unwillingly (it happens more than it seems) and if you only jump to safe positions the ability is useless.

I´m playing with the Kelp Charger and am using Ink Saver Main, Ninja Squid and Ink Resistance Up. For the subs I´m trying to get some more ink savers for main and sub, ink recovery up and damage up, but the gods of rerolling are not showing me much love. I´m actually thinking of ditching Ninja Squid and changing it for a Damage Up, so half charged shots kill in one hit. I´ll have to test it to see if Ninja Squid is really that important. Ink Resistance Up is great to walk through enemy ink so you can go through enemy zones while invisible in the map and surprise them. Getting the enemy´s team´s back by surprise in Splat Zones can easily get you 2 or 3 kills and change the flow of the match if you are using a charger weapon..

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
The penalty on Stealth Jump/Swim is negligible. A single sub ability more than counteracts it. We're talking less than a tenth of a second, here. Not that Quick Super Jump is any good, as even with 2 main abilities it doesn't even cut your time by a full second.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Really? I got the impression when I used it that it was much slower. Maybe it was because my original loadout had Fast Squid Jump as a main perk and I was not aware of it. For the Ninja Squid I agree, I haven´t noticed going much slower.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Run spd up does not apply when the roller based weapon is on the ground. The only map you'd even want/need run spd on, would be dome.

I ended up with this
Gas Mask - Tenacity
ink savor main 2x, special duration up

Zekko Hoodie - Ninja Squid
ink savor main, special savor 2x

Krak-On - Ink Res
swim spd 2x, special duration up

So that's 3 ink savor main, 2 swim spd, 2 special duration up and 2 special savors.

Last edited:

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
Ink Resistance is too good, I don't think other main abilities are viable on shoes

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Posted in wrong thread earlier, sorry.
Alright, sorry for bumping this thread, but since the first time I posted in this thread, I've learned some. I had thought that 1 ability = 1 sub-ability.
Ink Saver Main is an okay ability, but I have not had too much experience with it. It might help a lot to some weapons that fall under the class of a turfer, someone who mostly shoots ink during the game. Ink Saver Sub is nearly useless is most setups. With 2 main Ink Saver Subs, I could still only throw 1 splat bomb, 1 suction bomb, 2 point sensors, etc. I think it might increase the bomb count for the burst bombs, so it could posibly be useful there. Special Charge Up only seems to shorten the time need to fill the gauge by a small amount. I consistency filled ~6.5 lanes in the testing room with it, and about ~6.75 lanes without it. Special Duration Up is really good, at least for Bubblers (does anyone know what it does for inkstrike?) . It does not seem to have a diminishing return, as it adds 1 second each point. I have not used Ink Recovery Up much, so I'm not sure about this one. I hear it goes 20% faster and does not have diminishing faster. Quick Respawn is really good. The default spawn time is around 10 seconds. Only a single sub ability lowers it down to 8.5 seconds and a main ability lowers it down to 7.5, as shown in this video
I haven't tried out Special Saver yet, but I'm just going to assume that if you don't die a lot, don't use it. Haunt isn't too good, and when teams can communicate in the future (namely private matches), teams can quickly call out the enemy's position based on the kill cam. Who looks at the map, anyways? It's such a pain and can often leave you dead. I'm going to assume Comeback isn't too good unless you are choked inside your spawn I'm guessing. Bomb Range Up? HA. I know tenacity fills up your gauge when teammates are dead, inactive, disconnected, or are not contributing, so if it charges at a reasonable rate, I'm going to assume that it could be good. I haven't actually even tried it out. I'm not too sure how I feel about Run Speed Up. If it affected rollers, then I would say yes, but I have mixed feelings about it. It can be used to catch up to opponents while using a short range weapon and ink stuff a little faster, but I don't see much use in it. With the worst starting first, I think the worst weapons have this ability on are: The Inkbrush, the Roller, the Dynamo Roller, Chargers, then Blasters. Swim Speed Up doesn't seem to be too useful because you can outrun enemies in the first place. Quick Super Jump is garbage. Stealth jump is okay, make sure to only use it with weapons with short ranges, especially the rollers. I haven't tried out Ninja Squid too much, but pub players don't even look at the ground anyways 99% of the time, so I don't even know it's potential. Recon = garbage in pubs, I'm not too sure how it would work out with communication though, considering that most of the time you know either from looking at the map and seeing ink trails being lain down or looking right in front of you. Opening Gambit might be okay since you should be rushing to the center of the map at the beginning of games, this is useless if you're a roller though. Last Ditch Effort is okay in Turf Wars, mostly useless in ranked. Ink Resistance though. Oh my god it's good. I use it with my Blaster, and it allows me to not be locked in my own ink trail. If I get trapped in enemy ink, I can still escape (since Blaster = not good at shooting your own feet because fire rate). I see it being EXTREMELY useful for blasters and chargers, and it's still really good with everything else. Definitely a staple for Chargers and Blasters. Defense Up needs no introduction. It makes certain weapons require an extra shot, so if you're playing against a Splat-o-matic with bad skills, this is useful. It's okay otherwise. Attack Up is the counter to Defense Up. At least one is needed for Splat-o-matic, and I find it useful for splash damage with blasters. It makes the Splat-o-matic against a main defense up go from 5 shots to kill to 4 shots, so this is necessary for Splat-o-matic. The usefulness for other weapons vary, check the damages of your weapon. I haven't tried cold-blooded and I'm unaware of how much shorter the tracking is. If weapons with trackers end up being unviable, such as the blaster, this may be rather useles. Bomb sniffer is alright, would be even better if communicating with a team (can you destroy ink mines by shooting them?)
Yep, those are my (bad) opinions of the abilities so far, I might go try some of the ones I haven't used yet tomorrow.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Ink Saver Main, Ink Recovery, Ink Resistance, Swim Speed and Ninja Squid are the onlys ones you'll want 90% of the time. Skills like Defense Up, Cold-blooded, Stealth Jump, and Attack Up will see some neche use but be somewhat common later on. Special related skills all look pretty trashy... Besides maybe having one as a sub skill, Ink Saver Sub is pretty useless. Quick Respawn does squat, and Running Speed is largely useless except maybe for Kelp Dome.

Skills are just so stinkin' useless in this game... Probably better off with just those "great" skills, even with the diminishing returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom