ideal gear/abilities for dual squelcher?

eliter3k

Inkling
NNID
shouyous7
i use the dual squelcher (long-ranged, splat bombs, echolocator) and these are the three mains i have right now:
-gas mask (main ability: tenacity)
-varsity jacket (main ability: damage up) OR zekko hoodie (main ability: ninja squid)
-crazy arrows (main ability: stealth super jump)
does anyone have any suggestions for good dual squelcher abilities/gear? or, does anyone think i should change any of the pieces i use right now?

Drip Bam Boozle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sludgetoon
I associate the dual squelcher with being mobile and supportive. I personally like the gas mask if you can get some decent rolls on it. (not special duration)

I would ditch ninja squid in favor of the varsity jacket and prioritize run speed for the extra mobility while constantly keeping pressure on far away enemies. I imagine you wanna keep those bum rushers away while still being able to shoot. I see a lot of people who really favor this gun around here so maybe they can give a better critique on load outs for it.

Dig that name too. haha! ;)

eliter3k

Inkling
NNID
shouyous7
I associate the dual squelcher with being mobile and supportive. I personally like the gas mask if you can get some decent rolls on it. (not special duration)

I would ditch ninja squid in favor of the varsity jacket and prioritize run speed for the extra mobility while constantly keeping pressure on far away enemies. I imagine you wanna keep those bum rushers away while still being able to shoot. I see a lot of people who really favor this gun around here so maybe they can give a better critique on load outs for it.

Dig that name too. haha! ;)
thanks!! i think gas mask rolls 5x special duration up though? and varsity jacket rolls 5x special saver
my gas mask has tenacity (main) and its sub abilities are damage up and 2 special durations? should i risk re-rolling?
also, does run speed occur while shooting?
thanks again!

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
Right, so to me, based on the set you're giving us, you're using the Dual Squelcher like an aggro weapon. Which, although it can be done, is not really its thing. A four shot to kill with less fire rate than most close-up weapons makes it hard to do so. If you do want to keep using it this way anyway, this is what I would reccomend:
Ink Resistance, Cold Blooded, RUN SPEED UP, Bomb Range Up, Ink Saver Main. Other good options are: Swim Speed Up, Ink Saver (Sub), and possibly some Special Charge Up. (Tenacity is not the better choice in this situation.)

If you want to play a support role, where I personally think Dual Squelcher shines, then:
Ink Recovery Up, Bomb Range Up, Haunt, Run Speed Up, and this time Tenacity should work fine. Again, Ink Resistance, Cold Blooded, and Swim Speed Up aren't bad choices either. BUT, Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump are basically useless when playing this role. (Not personally my top picks regardless.)

Also Damage Up is 99% useless on this weapon no matter what and will never help you kill any faster.
EDIT: Run Speed works while shooting, yes. Mostly why it works so well on this one.

Drip Bam Boozle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sludgetoon
Also Damage Up is 99% useless on this weapon no matter what and will never help you kill any faster.
This is just seems like conjecture to me. From what I understand the gun isn't incredibly strong and I personally wouldn't prioritize DMG up, but I also wouldn't go in without any.

also, does run speed occur while shooting?
Yes! Here is some visual evidence so you can rest assure!

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I'm no expert, but I recently discovered the Dual Squelcher and use it from time to time. When I do, I usually run Ink Saver(Main), Special Duration Up or Special Charge Up, and Special Saver. This is mostly because I love being useful with the Echolocator and want to get it out fast and have it out longer. I'll definitely try out these other methods, tho.

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
This is just seems like conjecture to me. From what I understand the gun isn't incredibly strong and I personally wouldn't prioritize DMG up, but I also wouldn't go in without any.
It is true, the Dual is not especially powerful. But Damage Up will not, nor can it, ever fix that in this case. I think perhaps you don't quite understand how Damage Up works? It's a bit of a common mistake among new players, so if that is the case, don't worry. Basically, Damage Up is useful on a select few things: Burst Bombs, Chargers, Rollers and Blasters, which help each of those in various ways. Otherwise, there is no purpose. Why? Because on shooters, the game is programmed to never allow you to kill someone with less shots than intended no matter how many Damage Ups you stack on. So, unless someone has already been hit or is literally hopping around in enemy ink, the Dual Squelcher will always need to hit someone 4 times for the splat. There are a few shooters affected by Damage Up, but only to counter Defense Up, and the Dual is not one of those. I think there are a few Youtube videos on it if you wish to look. Otherwise, you can go to the training area, put on as much Damage Up as you like, and count how many shots it takes to burst a small dummy with and without the Damage Up.

Last edited:

Drip Bam Boozle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sludgetoon
Yes, I already understand the fact that some guns will splat at the same rate despite your damage ups. Thank you for clarifying that it is 4 shots across the board to splat most opponents, thats the info we needed on the matter.

However I'm going to test the numbers myself because, lets say if 3 shots with 3 DMG up inflicts 95-98 damage. It may be something to consider because most players aren't at full hp even when bullets are missing them

edit: Redacted my broad generalization.

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
You're talking normal variant, right? Well here's what I'd recommend:

Stackable:
:ability_bombrange:
:ability_inksavermain:
:ability_specialcharge:
:ability_quickrespawn:

Main-Exclusive:
:ability_ninjasquid:
:ability_bombsniffer:
:ability_stealthjump:
:ability_recon:
:ability_haunt:

You want to keep your enemies on target and know where they are, but not so much yourself. Try not to let people take advantage of your lower turfing power and somewhat lower fire-rate, so stay at bay and take advantage of your range.

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
Ah, ok. I guess I wasn't sure where you were coming from. Sorry for misunderstanding. Just as a general rule of thumb though, it's pretty safe to to say that shooters are unaffected by Defense Up on opponents or using Damage Up on themselves. There are two or maybe three exceptions but you rarely see enough Defense Up for it to matter. The only really notable one I know of is the .52 which definitely should run Damage.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I tend to run some ink efficiency and special charge up. Combined, I hardly every run out of ink.

:head_eye007: :ability_specialcharge:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:clothes_tes013: :ability_inksavermain:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:shoes_shi005: :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

(I'm working on getting perfect rolls for this)
It has mobility, efficiency, and charges echo really quick.

You want to keep your opponents at your effective range and use your swim speed to retreat when necessary. The kit synergizes really well: echolocator tells you where they are, splat bombs push them out, your range finishes them off.

eliter3k

Inkling
NNID
shouyous7
I tend to run some ink efficiency and special charge up. Combined, I hardly every run out of ink.

:head_eye007: :ability_specialcharge:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:clothes_tes013: :ability_inksavermain:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:shoes_shi005: :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

(I'm working on getting perfect rolls for this)
It has mobility, efficiency, and charges echo really quick.

You want to keep your opponents at your effective range and use your swim speed to retreat when necessary. The kit synergizes really well: echolocator tells you where they are, splat bombs push them out, your range finishes them off.
thanks! (thanks to everyone as well ^__^)
i'll try to find gear with run speed up and special charge, as well as ink saver

eliter3k

Inkling
NNID
shouyous7
Ah, ok. I guess I wasn't sure where you were coming from. Sorry for misunderstanding. Just as a general rule of thumb though, it's pretty safe to to say that shooters are unaffected by Defense Up on opponents or using Damage Up on themselves. There are two or maybe three exceptions but you rarely see enough Defense Up for it to matter. The only really notable one I know of is the .52 which definitely should run Damage.
i only run one damage up so i think i should be fine? aha
thank you!

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Yea, ^ this. (Lol, well now you blocked me, but I'm sure you get the idea)
Special Charge up is amazing on a weapon with Echolocator for constantly being able to put Echo up. And of course, you can never go wrong with swim speed up.

eliter3k

Inkling
NNID
shouyous7
Yea, ^ this. (Lol, well now you blocked me, but I'm sure you get the idea)
Special Charge up is amazing on a weapon with Echolocator for constantly being able to put Echo up. And of course, you can never go wrong with swim speed up.
i didn't block you? :-0
thank you!! do you think special duration up would help or is that increase in time minimal?
(also how do you do those icons/emojis of the weapons and abilities like in your signature/about ^__^; )

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
i didn't block you? :-0
thank you!! do you think special duration up would help or is that increase in time minimal?
(also how do you do those icons/emojis of the weapons and abilities like in your signature/about ^__^; )
Lol, I meant you blocked my arrow posting to Tim H's post, just kidding around.

It can help, but it's usually not too big of a thing since most times, those guys go down before the 10 seconds are even up, meaning those extra 3 seconds you invested are pretty close to useless. I'd say stick with constantly having Echo up and not worry about having it up longer. Just let your team take care of the rest. :]

As far as the Echolocator emoji, if you click the little smiley face in the tool bar they can be chosen :p. As far as the weapons, I just got them all from Here.

eliter3k

Inkling
NNID
shouyous7

It can help, but it's usually not too big of a thing since most times, those guys go down before the 10 seconds are even up, meaning those extra 3 seconds you invested are pretty close to useless. I'd say stick with constantly having Echo up and not worry about having it up longer. Just let our team take care of the rest. :]

As far as the Echolocator emoji, if you click the little smiley face in the tool bar they can be chosen :p. As far as the weapons, I just got them all from Here.
thank you so much (i'm saying thank you too much aren't i) !! it really means a lot omg

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801

It can help, but it's usually not too big of a thing since most times, those guys go down before the 10 seconds are even up, meaning those extra 3 seconds you invested are pretty close to useless. I'd say stick with constantly having Echo up and not worry about having it up longer. Just let your team take care of the rest. :]

I've seen some people stack a ton Special Duration Up on Echolcator. It can become annoyingly long and I usually get hunted in my flanking route. Useful for a focus, but not as a side thing.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I've seen some people stack a ton Special Duration Up on Echolcator. It can become annoyingly long and I usually get hunted in my flanking route. Useful for a focus, but not as a side thing.
I just wouldn't invest in it. I mean, yea, it may come in handy every so often, but more often than not, those 3 extra seconds either go unused because the person got taken out already, or Cold Blooded is activated anyways. I mean, it's not completely useless, I just wouldn't invest in it personally.

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
i use the dual squelcher (long-ranged, splat bombs, echolocator) and these are the three mains i have right now:
-gas mask (main ability: tenacity)
-varsity jacket (main ability: damage up) OR zekko hoodie (main ability: ninja squid)
-crazy arrows (main ability: stealth super jump)
does anyone have any suggestions for good dual squelcher abilities/gear? or, does anyone think i should change any of the pieces i use right now?
It depends only on your playstyle, and what you use most out of your kit. However, for a general set, I recommend Comeback, Cold Blooded, and Ink Resistance Up, with any combination of Run Speed Up, Swim Speed Up, and Bomb Range Up. This combination should be tailored to what playstyle you have, unless you have some sort of general playstyle, in which case, having all of them would be very beneficial.

Tenacity is only good if you can stay alive for long periods of time in a match, and if your teammates are being splatted frequently. Comeback is more suited if you often get splatted, which is why I recommend it. Cold Blooded becomes more noticeably viable in Ranked Battles. Ink Resistance Up benefits your mobility while in enemy turf, as well as taking significantly less damage, etc.

The biggest problem in Ninja Squid is avoiding enemy turf. Quite often in Ranked Battles, especially at A and up, your opponents will start covering turf to determine where you are, and if you get hit, you will become a very easy target. Evading becomes more difficult as well, and an aggressive playstyle also suffers because of slow movement.

Stealth Jump is very hardly used, due to the long delay before jumping. Map presence is especially important in all game modes, and a hidden super jump hardly makes a contribution to your team, unless you jumped to a teammate who just died while spawn camping at the far end of the map. Even then, you are very vulnerable with nearby opponents, and will likely take notice when you jump into their ink. If that happens, you cannot escape because of how delayed super jumping is.

A good set to invest in mid to long term is the Tennis Headband, Black Inky Rider, and Red Hi-Tops. The Tennis Headband has Comeback, and favours Ink Recovery Up. The Black Inky Rider has Bomb Range Up, and favours Run Speed Up. Lastly, the Red Hi-Tops come with Ink Resistance Up, and favour Swim Speed Up.

Once you get A+ and up, when your playstyle becomes more stable, Run Speed Up and Swim Speed Up become very useful, and Bomb Range Up becomes more situational because Splat Bombs become more easier to dodge the more skilled players are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom