Ideas for a Splatoon League

TheJohnnyBoy720

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheJohnnyBoy720
1. Introduction

As all of us know, in 1 month there's going to be a big update which will include friend rooms to play against each other, which will lead to squad wars. As the Splatoon community gets bigger and bigger, we should begin to see each other's skills and play style, so we will be able to begin a league. Even with the Splatoon Ranking System ready to go, there's nothing wrong with starting up a league, right?

So if some of you don't know, on a Mario Kart forum called MKBoards, there's 2 successful leagues being player at the moment. 1 for Mario Kart 8 and 1 for Mario Kart Wii. In the MK8 league, we're rotating between a swiss tournament, and a league with divisions. Right now we're at the swiss tournament, which usually goes on for 6 weeks. I'll go into full detail on how it could work in Splatoon later on, along with the league. In MKWii, there is currently a league going on with 3 divisions, and a custom track divisions. None of this would've been possible without a select few creating custom servers after the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection shutdown on May 20th, 2014, called Wiimmfi, as well as the CSL staff for doing a great job organizing it. But that's not the point, let's get into what we're looking to see in the future of Splatoon.

2. Swiss Tournament for Splatoon

A swiss tournament includes all of the teams registered for the tournament playing in a select few weeks, preferably 6 or 7. The first week, the deciding of which team is based off of a random draw. After that week, the deciding will be based off each team's swiss record. For example, if you're team's swiss record is 1-0, you will be playing another team with a swiss record of 1-0. As each week comes around, each team's record will be different. If something happens where every team's record is different, it will be based off of how close together each team's record is from what I've saw in other swiss tournaments. Finally, if there's a rotation between swiss tournament and league play, swiss tournament shouldn't directly influence the seedings for league play, unless you decide to do the swiss tournament in you're first season.

3. League Play for Splatoon

League play has been used in a fair amount in competitive games. Depending on the amount of teams registered, there will be a certain amount of divisions based on each team's skill, with Division 1 being the most skilled, and the lowest division being the least skilled or for the new teams. In MK8 and MKWii, their league play's are going to be going on for 10 weeks. As there's 6 teams in each division for those games, each team will play each other twice in the season. If everything goes fine with no teams dropping out, 1st and 2nd move up to the division ahead of the one they played in (unless division 1), 3rd and 4th stay in the division they played in, and 5th and 6th drop down 1 division lower than the one they played in (unless lowest division). In both MK8 and MKWii these have been successful and I wouldn't be surprised if league play is a success with Splatoon as well.

4. Turf War in Swiss/League Play

As stated be people before, turf war is mostly for casual play. Some people (including myself) think turf war could be used more competitively. Although its mostly open and not that interesting, we could always try it out and see how it goes. Of course, ranked battles could easily be used for much more intense competitive play.

5. Splat Zones in Swiss/League Play

With everyone fighting over 1 or 2 areas, the competition can be really heated up here. Besides, for streams it would be more interesting for people to watch like worldwide splat zone play already is. There isn't too much to talk about here, so unfortunately it's gonna end at that.

6. Tower Control in Swiss/League Play

Tower Control seems really intense at the moment. Everyone fighting to get to the tower and protecting their teammates to get further to the other team's base. I bet a lot of people would agree that this would be really fun to see how people do with this mode in swiss and league play.

7. Conclusion

All this stuff you could think of to make the community even bigger is great. Again, this is only an idea that the Splatoon staff could think about for the future of Splatoon competitive play. If you have other ideas, feel free to list them and give the staff some other great ideas for the future.

Ivy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
godwit1ivy
I've seen a number of these threads now. Fantastic idea, but we should really pool all of our ideas together. It seems pretty clear that everyone wants a competitive league. Perhaps instead of many different ones, we should consolidate and make one large one.

superman

Senior Squid
I've seen a number of these threads now. Fantastic idea, but we should really pool all of our ideas together. It seems pretty clear that everyone wants a competitive league. Perhaps instead of many different ones, we should consolidate and make one large one.

Yeah, there's people from lots of different communities here and every community handled things in a very different way.
In the Quake community leagues have never done all to well, what worked best for team modes were tournaments with group stages seperated into divisions.
I think different models will be tried and the community will decide what the best fit / most prestigious tournament is based on popularity.
What works best for a community is also highly dependant on it's age structure. I know leagues are a lot more popular in Counter-Strike but the community is much younger than Quake's. Real life and social commitements / obligations play a role here and that might ultimately dictate how loose or tight things have to be run for this community.

I feel like the best would be to start off by running a few loosely organized tournaments on a weekly basis and once we feel somewhat confident in finding reasonable seeds between better known teams we should create a league or tournament that is a bigger commitment and runs through multiple seasons by the end of september or maybe even october

Last edited:

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
I like the idea of using the swiss format for Turf Wars and leagues/divisions with normal round-robins for the "ranked" gamemodes.
There is the tendency that Turf War won't be played as competitive as other modes due to high level teams concentrating e.g. on Splat Zones, so I think a different format could attract the one or other additional squad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom