• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

If Splatoon got an animated series

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
What would you like the premise to be? What kind of genre?

I'm thinking it might start off in a high school setting, with rival schools preparing for a big tournament in Inkopolis. Kind of slice of life/comedy at first with Turf Wars sprinkled about, but in later arcs a villainous threat would be introduced. perhaps Cuttlefish would enlist the top squids from various schools in Inkopolis to form a squad to take out some baddies. Maybe Octarians if it followed the plot of the game, but something new might be cooler.

Anyway I don't read or write any fan fic type things so I'm sure others have come up with more original ideas. Share them here!

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
If they did do an animated adaptation, I'd like to see them do something Saturday Morning Cartoon style both to match the game's "western cartoon" aesthetic and to make it distinct from their other adapted series Pokémon. The plot would be a shounen story where the protagonist team from the official manga would go on a journey to S+ rank, meeting a wide and diverse range of teams and dealing with rivals like Rider along the way. They might also work in the Octo Valley arc somehow. I'd also like to see some gag snippets concerning the Inklings' world as well (like who's running SquidForce, an average day at Ancho-V Games, that sort of thing).

Reala

Inkling
NNID
Negrulicious
Like Pokemon but with less filler. A journey to S+ with a group of friends. The protagonist faces issues at improving, but gets the hang of things after a while. There should also be a rival squad that competes with this squad at trying to get to S+ first. Animation style could be like anime or cartoon, I could care less as long as it sticks to a solid plot.

luna_runes

Inkster Jr.
NNID
lilak-krypt
If it's anything like Pokemon or any shounen anime it will probably have a tournament arc and that's a format that's really easy to make trite and boring, even though it's been done really well by certain shows (Yu Yu Hakusho, for one). I think it's important that a show like this stay lighthearted and not take itself too seriously, and I liked that about the Splatoon manga that we got already, even if it was basically just an advertisement for the game.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I'd hate it if it took place in a high/middle school setting. It's so cliched and overdone. Some parts of the story could take place in a school setting, but if the majority of the story is there than i'm probably not gonna watch it. A tournamnet arc could actually work well with this since splatoon revolves around a competitive sport. most of the time a tournament arc doens't work because it's usually forced in.

ArbyDoo

Inkling
NNID
kaiya.dovahkinky
I'd say I'd like sort of an autobots and decepticons type thing with more humor and and more colourful pallet. And good plot, gotta have that plot there to keep me interested.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I'd hate it if it took place in a high/middle school setting. It's so cliched and overdone. Some parts of the story could take place in a school setting, but if the majority of the story is there than i'm probably not gonna watch it. A tournamnet arc could actually work well with this since splatoon revolves around a competitive sport. most of the time a tournament arc doens't work because it's usually forced in.
I agree that high school is an overdone setting. But Splatoon's world is culturally unique enough that I think it would be pretty... fresh. If done properly. Technically, Harry Potter for example is a middle/high school setting. That might be an extreme example, but Inklings are not the academic type, as we know. They only care about fashion and turf wars and sleeping, so I think it would be quite a bit different from what we'd normally associate with a school setting (in anime, at least). Teachers may be Jellyfish or some other species, courses would not be typically listening to lectures and taking exams. Assuming most schools probably would put all of their effort into making the most fierce inkling warriors, I guess it might be comparable to something like Kill la Kill.

edit: i should also clarify that in my initial premise, I only thought maybe the first arc would be primarily school-based, to provide story exposition and character building.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
It needs to take place at in an office or government department. I just want to see a bunch of Inkling executives in $2,000 suits paintballing in a boardroom to vote on a new business plan.

In all seriousness, I'm working on a Splatoon story with a CSI theme.

I don't think it should stop with an animated series though. We need a Broadway musical, a Splatoon themed professional wrestler, Splatoon the lunchbox, Splatoon the action figure, Splatoon the flamethrower...

Claus

Full Squid
NNID
Bluevisionist
I personally think the series should actually focus more on conflicts between the Inklings and the Octolings rather than keep it all turf war related. Make it light hearted but make stuff go dark at appropriate points. Just stuff like that.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I personally think the series should actually focus more on conflicts between the Inklings and the Octolings rather than keep it all turf war related. Make it light hearted but make stuff go dark at appropriate points. Just stuff like that.
Definitely expanding the lore would be one of the biggest draws of a series. Also revealing an official layout of Inkopolis and surrounding locales, locations of stages and beyond.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Now I'm guessing this is supposed to be some sort of anime? I guess that's the most obvious answer, but I'm not sure... I'd prefer something more like the Pikmin shorts, honestly.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Now I'm guessing this is supposed to be some sort of anime? I guess that's the most obvious answer, but I'm not sure... I'd prefer something more like the Pikmin shorts, honestly.
I'm not familiar with those, but yeah, I think 3D or cel-shaded 3D would work just as well, if not better than anime.

Crystal C

Inkster Jr.
I think I remember hearing somewhere that an official splatoon anime was in the works but I can't remember where I heard it.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Wa~it a moment there. There's an official manga? Has it been translated to English as of yet?

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
I would love this, especially if it was an Anime.
I've actually been working on my own project with a couple mates, but it's currently still in script-writing phase, and we haven't quite decided on how to animate it, so I won't go into detail.
to be honest, I still haven't decided on a solid plot: part of it revolves around a group of Inklings getting to S+, while a rival squad tries to halt their progress.
Another part revolves around Hero Mode, but with significantly darker themes.
now, if only I could think of a way to tie the two parts together....

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I would love this, especially if it was an Anime.
I've actually been working on my own project with a couple mates, but it's currently still in script-writing phase...
now, if only I could think of a way to tie the two parts together....
The main protagonist could go do their Agent 3 duties at night, or after Inkopolis Tower officially closes or something.

I'd love to see an anime of Splatoon. Perhaps it could focus on a little squid kid who just recently turned 14, and their ragtag group of friends as they make their way to S+(And gets sucked into that Hero business). If they make one, I'd love to see their take on the disappearance of the Great Zapfish and the relationship between Inklings and Octolings afterwards. What happens to the battles? Do they eventually close it down to protect the Inklings? And what happens to the Octolings after Agent 3 gets the Great Zapfish back? Find out on the next episode of Dragonball Z!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom