If y’all could give the right and left arrows a function, what would it be?

Random

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7508-0476-2209
Personally, I’d put emotes there, because it’s funny.

Tableturfer

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1759-0136-2311
Literally just make them Left/Right or Port/Starboard or something.

We need something directional other than This Way!

Julian³

Inkster Jr.
If it was my decision I would make each button's message customisable based on pre made messages (like smash ultimate.)

Some useful messages could be:
  • Push forward!
  • Fall back!
  • Help me!
  • I'm gonna use [special]!

KibryHouse

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4782-5986-0003
Left: "Retreat!"
Right: "Charge!"
If anything, I'd like if we could choose the arrow pad commands from a selection. No need to be limited to just 4 callouts.

SpaceCadet11

Inkling
I like the system Rocket League has. Each direction on the D-Pad opens up a list of 4 customizable shoutouts selectable by the D-Pad - defaults make sense and the directions are each a category of their own by default, but you can change them individually however you want between a bunch of prewritten options.
Maybe "Booyah" and "This Way" stay as single-press up and down commands for simplicity, but the left and right become customizable sets of 4 callouts, With defaults being simple commands like:
  • Fall Back
  • Need Help
  • Push Forward
  • Gonna use [special] (good ideas Julian³!)
  • Watch Out (or something a bit more directly made to call out flankers more)
  • Focus on the [objective]
  • Focus on painting
  • Cover Me!
This adds 8 more commands with fairly minimal complication. Keeps the basic callouts simple for simplicity and ease-of-use, while adding better communication for solo-queue ranked players.
It works in Rocket League, which I'd argue requires as much if not more focus to play, so having to make 2 inputs to say 1 command shouldn't be too big an issue. Muscle memory kicks in pretty quick from my experience. Besides, keeping the up and down This Way and Booyah allows just as much communication as we've always had if a player has trouble using the left and right comms.

rolodabo

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3963-6436-1306
something to indicate whether you wanna push objective or defend would be good, but having different ones to choose wouldn't be bad either.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
The problem with adding more communication options, as I see it, is that any more specific option they could add will be completely redundant at a higher level of play, because people were already doing that without the d-pad. For example, I used to really want callouts specifically for when to push forward or fall back, but as I've gotten better, me and my soloq teammates do that without needing the d-pad. And when we do need it, this way works just fine.

The beauty of "this way" is that it is vague enough that it's useful at every skill level. It can just mean it's time to push now, or it can mean "let's pinch this guy over here, he's all by himself", or it can mean that I have 7 clams and can you please throw me another one.

It is somewhat limited, but I think any more complex system would be too complex to realistically expect people to be able to use and understand quickly in game, especially when considering all the different skill levels it would have to account for.

LetMeBiteU

Inkling
emotes would be so cool and fun, I feel like other callouts would just get spammed too much

Skoobz

Inkling
Personally, I’d put emotes there, because it’s funny.
Having "Watch Out" would go a long way. Though I am more in support of the game getting a ping wheel like many other competitive shooters. Would be huge if they go that route at some point (I doubt it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom