I'm bad at Rainmaker

Your Wii

Inkster Jr.
NNID
yorwie
What are good tips to get better at rainmaker? I always do very well in every other mode but I suck really bad at rain maker. I've been trying to come up with different strategies but none work. What are some good things you've noticed that help you win at rainmaker?

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
Something I've noticed is important is not rushing in at the beginning and getting the rainmaker unless you've taken out some of the other team cause otherwise you just get splatted straight away. Another one is if your team has all been splatten and you're near the rainmaker, back away a little to give your teammates a good place to superjump to and then push as a team, cause if you try and do things alone you'll probably get splatted.

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
Well, it depends on what playstyle is effective for you. For example, with myself, I love going in and wiping out teams, so often after the opponent grabs the Rainmaker, I dive right in, take them out, and isolate the other teammates while my team focuses on bursting the shield.

I also try to flank whenever we have the disadvantage, instead of charging into a team fight. It allows me to neutralize the turf, fill the Special Gauge, and eliminate teams easily. I also flank to take out other flankers, as well as to make another route for the Rainmaker to use.

My role is easy to understand but difficult to master. Take out all your opponents so your team can make a lead. The consequences of this role is relying on your teammates to focus on the objective. Also, you will rarely ever pick up the Rainmaker, unless you picking it up can gain the lead last minute.

Another important aspect is the map. Watching for ink trails will tell you where your opponents are so you can splat them when the opprotunity arises.

Last edited:

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Would you rather play offense or defense? When it comes to Rainmaker, both are extremely important. An offensive play style can take and keep control of the Rainmaker while the defenders can make sure the Rainmaker stays in your team's control. You can also ink a path for the Rainmaker. Teams need both roles filled in order to be successful at Rainmaker. So what sort of tactic would work for you entirely defends on whether you're a more defensive player or more offensive one.

If you're a more defensive player, I would advise not grabbing onto the Rainmaker unless you're close to the goal and think that you can make it. It's better to let an offensive player have the Rainmaker because they will do better when aiming and shooting it. If you're using a ranged weapon, try to stay up high and protect the Rainmaker from the sky. It's very helpful because it can ink a path for the Rainmaker and defend them at the same time. If you're not using a ranged weapon, try to swim a bit ahead of the Rainmaker and scope out the area, taking out any enemies that you see. Be careful though, watch the mini map for ink trails and the actual TV screen for any ripples of incoming people. If you're using a roller, definitely try to make a path for the Rainmaker while defending it. You are holding the perfect weapon to do so with.

If you're a more defensive player, you need to focus on the Rainmaker. Don't grab the Rainmaker at the beginning of the game. You'll only get splatted and essentially be handing the Rainmaker over to the opposing team. Try to take some of the opposing team out first to set them back and then grab the Rainmaker. The biggest problem people have is instantly grabbing the Rainmaker at the beginning of the game and that usually only hurts them. From there, think of the Rainmaker as a combination of a charger and Inkzooka. You need to charge your shots and aim them appropriately.

Also, remember to stay near a team mate. The holder cannot ink a path for themselves and protect themselves at the same time. You need a team mate protecting you or inking you a path. You can't do it yourself. If you do, you'll either get splatted or you'll be stalled by the opposing team which will lead to the Rainmaker exploding. When the little timer above your head reaches zero, the Rainmaker explodes and splats your automatically. Rainmaker is probably the mode that requires the most teamwork.

Your Wii

Inkster Jr.
NNID
yorwie
Well, it depends on what playstyle is effective for you. For example, with myself, I love going in and wiping out teams, so often after the opponent grabs the Rainmaker, I dive right in, take them out, and isolate the other teammates while my team focuses on bursting the shield.

I also try to flank whenever we have the disadvantage, instead of charging into a team fight. It allows me to neutralize the turf, fill the Special Gauge, and eliminate teams easily. I also flank to take out other flankers, as well as to make another route for the Rainmaker to use.

My role is easy to understand but difficult to master. Take out all your opponents so your team can make a lead. The consequences of this role is relying on your teammates to focus on the objective. Also, you will rarely ever pick up the Rainmaker, unless you picking it up can gain the lead last minute.

Another important aspect is the map. Watching for ink trails will tell you where your opponents are so you can splat them when the opprotunity arises.
Yeah, I usually do that myself but my team most of the time ends up being wiped while I'm flanking and then they push super hard and I can't make it in time. Or they hunt me down and well it's hard to win 1v4s lol. But it is effective when you have a decent team. I think I should play more a team role at first and get those early kills like you said.

Your Wii

Inkster Jr.
NNID
yorwie
Something I've noticed is important is not rushing in at the beginning and getting the rainmaker unless you've taken out some of the other team cause otherwise you just get splatted straight away. Another one is if your team has all been splatten and you're near the rainmaker, back away a little to give your teammates a good place to superjump to and then push as a team, cause if you try and do things alone you'll probably get splatted.
You know, that's something I need to improve on, being a better team player and protecting my teammates.

Your Wii

Inkster Jr.
NNID
yorwie
Would you rather play offense or defense? When it comes to Rainmaker, both are extremely important. An offensive play style can take and keep control of the Rainmaker while the defenders can make sure the Rainmaker stays in your team's control. You can also ink a path for the Rainmaker. Teams need both roles filled in order to be successful at Rainmaker. So what sort of tactic would work for you entirely defends on whether you're a more defensive player or more offensive one.

If you're a more defensive player, I would advise not grabbing onto the Rainmaker unless you're close to the goal and think that you can make it. It's better to let an offensive player have the Rainmaker because they will do better when aiming and shooting it. If you're using a ranged weapon, try to stay up high and protect the Rainmaker from the sky. It's very helpful because it can ink a path for the Rainmaker and defend them at the same time. If you're not using a ranged weapon, try to swim a bit ahead of the Rainmaker and scope out the area, taking out any enemies that you see. Be careful though, watch the mini map for ink trails and the actual TV screen for any ripples of incoming people. If you're using a roller, definitely try to make a path for the Rainmaker while defending it. You are holding the perfect weapon to do so with.

If you're a more defensive player, you need to focus on the Rainmaker. Don't grab the Rainmaker at the beginning of the game. You'll only get splatted and essentially be handing the Rainmaker over to the opposing team. Try to take some of the opposing team out first to set them back and then grab the Rainmaker. The biggest problem people have is instantly grabbing the Rainmaker at the beginning of the game and that usually only hurts them. From there, think of the Rainmaker as a combination of a charger and Inkzooka. You need to charge your shots and aim them appropriately.

Also, remember to stay near a team mate. The holder cannot ink a path for themselves and protect themselves at the same time. You need a team mate protecting you or inking you a path. You can't do it yourself. If you do, you'll either get splatted or you'll be stalled by the opposing team which will lead to the Rainmaker exploding. When the little timer above your head reaches zero, the Rainmaker explodes and splats your automatically. Rainmaker is probably the mode that requires the most teamwork.
I definitely see myself more of a offensive player but I think I should try to be more defensive since I'm good at scoping out areas, getting kills, and protecting others. Thanks for the advice. This really helps.

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
Honestly it comes down to map knowledge. Being a charger means I have to have a lot of map knowledge just to be effective with my weapon, so its about finding all those areas that teams usually dont ink or pay attention to and going for the goal. There is a ton more to Rainmaker, and I have lost and carried a fair share of it. (Its actually the mode I rank up most in) But aside from map knowledge there isn't much you can improve on aside from basic things for every other mode. Know when to push, help team out etc.

But I suppose you do have to ask yourself if you want to rainmaker or you want someone else to. Its an important decision and should consult your doctor for whats right for you.

Your Wii

Inkster Jr.
NNID
yorwie
Honestly it comes down to map knowledge. Being a charger means I have to have a lot of map knowledge just to be effective with my weapon, so its about finding all those areas that teams usually dont ink or pay attention to and going for the goal. There is a ton more to Rainmaker, and I have lost and carried a fair share of it. (Its actually the mode I rank up most in) But aside from map knowledge there isn't much you can improve on aside from basic things for every other mode. Know when to push, help team out etc.

But I suppose you do have to ask yourself if you want to rainmaker or you want someone else to. Its an important decision and should consult your doctor for whats right for you.
I consulted my Doctor two days ago and his professional opinion was that I shouldn't grab the rainmaker. He said it's bad for my health and that I should take a more easy and relaxed path in life.

AidanC97

Senior Squid
NNID
aidancalhoun
I consulted my Doctor two days ago and his professional opinion was that I shouldn't grab the rainmaker. He said it's bad for my health and that I should take a more easy and relaxed path in life.
Why did you consult your doctor? Unless he plays Splatoon, doctors arent helping you with rainmaker

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I'd say the most important thing if you have the rainmaker is to not be afraid of getting splatted!

Don't be unwise, but if you see anything remotely resembling an ink path and a chance just go for it. There are times I've passed right by members of the opposite team while I jump from ink patch to ink patch, or even sometimes just walking through their ink (with ink resistant shoes) and made valuable progress. With practise you can get really good at pushes, when and how to do them.

I've lost more than a few games because teammates were too afraid of getting splatted, when all they had to do was push a few points more to get the lead, standing right by them looking at a path of ink wondering why they don't just go. Even in A+ and S games.

Maybe you can think of it like American football. You don't need an opportunity for a touchdown to legitimise making a push with the ball, even knowing you'll get tackled. Sometimes you need to just go for it.

Your Wii

Inkster Jr.
NNID
yorwie
I'd say the most important thing if you have the rainmaker is to not be afraid of getting splatted!

Don't be unwise, but if you see anything remotely resembling an ink path and a chance just go for it. There are times I've passed right by members of the opposite team while I jump from ink patch to ink patch, or even sometimes just walking through their ink (with ink resistant shoes) and made valuable progress. With practise you can get really good at pushes, when and how to do them.

I've lost more than a few games because teammates were too afraid of getting splatted, when all they had to do was push a few points more to get the lead, standing right by them looking at a path of ink wondering why they don't just go. Even in A+ and S games.

Maybe you can think of it like American football. You don't need an opportunity for a touchdown to legitimise making a push with the ball, even knowing you'll get tackled. Sometimes you need to just go for it.
So just do it?

Your Wii

Inkster Jr.
NNID
yorwie
Makes me question, what weapons do you use?
;) .52 Gal Deco
lol but only for fun or when I know I'll win or if I just want to prove a point. But I usually run the regular .52 gal and the .96 gal deco.

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
I was really bad with the rainmaker too. So I stopped picking it up entirely (yeah, I know, I became one of "those guys") and instead studied what my allies did with it. I learned a lot from that and I'm much more comfortable picking it up now.

However, as a 52g/96gd you might be better off letting your allies take the rm so you can support their advance with walls and stand between them and the enemy to take fire away from them. Just pay close attention to where they're going - try to guess where they want to go. Watch behind them too.

Your Wii

Inkster Jr.
NNID
yorwie
I was really bad with the rainmaker too. So I stopped picking it up entirely (yeah, I know, I became one of "those guys") and instead studied what my allies did with it. I learned a lot from that and I'm much more comfortable picking it up now.

However, as a 52g/96gd you might be better off letting your allies take the rm so you can support their advance with walls and stand between them and the enemy to take fire away from them. Just pay close attention to where they're going - try to guess where they want to go. Watch behind them too.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing now and well I've been winning most of my games. I also found that I'm pretty good with the rainmaker as well when it comes to picking paths, scoring kills, and taking leads but I think I would rather have my team pick it up.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
So just do it?
In general I'd say that should be your approach but don't be completely careless about it. The best rainmaker players I've seen can sometimes be risky, knowing they just have to drive it as far forward as possible. You might be surprised how far you can go in unlikely situations, and you only need one more point than the other team...

If you keep at it you'll refine your technique. For instance, don't waste time inking if your teammates are inking for you, go solo if necessary, make a quick decision about what path to take on the map based on game circumstances, etc. If my entire team is down and the other team is around, if possible I'll sometimes even get the rainmaker (not too hard with a Luna Blaster) knowing I'll get splatted hoping to drive it back a bit but mainly to slow down the other team so my team has more time to regroup before the opposing team has a chance to push forward.

Just don't be afraid :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom