• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I'm not against squads but I think they might shift the social paradigm...

Robotoboy20

Squid Scout
NNID
robotoboy30
I feel as though it's going to completely shift the social dynamic Splatoon currently has... and that makes me sad. At the moment squads are simply a group of like minded buddies, all who generally play like everyone else for the most part - but upon the release of "squad" matches, and private battles what's going to happen to the community!?

Clans have always bugged me in MMO's, FPS's, and even a few fighting games have them, like Tekken Tag 2... They create an elitist atmosphere since they're generally centered around becoming "elite" and while I know it's human nature to become tribal if the opportunity is there it kind of ruins the experience...

I love Splatoon the way it is personally --- It's not like I'm against the implementation of private lobbies since there's no leaderboard, points, or rank for them. It's the "squad" matches that urk me... You're going to have a lot of problems in the future by splitting up your player base.

However on the other hand I don't think it's an entirely bad concept. The "pro" (I use that terms lightly, and a tad bit sarcastically) players will have their private matches with friends so we can finally stop hearing about "horrible teams" and "crappy matchmaking" witch will be nice. My biggest issue is the social implication that we'll have on our hands... I'm expecting a lot of "MLG Splatoon-Pros" to come in and start dismissing weapon choices, telling people what they shouldn't use or do... etc. etc.... Anyways, does anyone else feel this might turn the social aspect of the game on it's head? Differing opinions?

Recettear

Full Squid
NNID
anrakutei
No? Squad battles are a separate mode from Regular and Ranked from what I know. Squads will be matched with other squads. A team of randoms won't be pitted against 4 people in a squad. If anything this is good because people who complain about bad teammates have a method of recourse and the people in Regular Battle won't have to deal with the so-called "tryhards" as much.

Acting like people who play games and try earnestly to win is inherently "bad" to me is just an annoying sentiment to have, so please just knock that off too. Just because people care about winning more than others doesn't mean that they don't have fun, otherwise they wouldn't be playing the game. Get off your high horse.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
A lot of kids and casual players play this game as well. I don't think there will be such drastic changes as you suggest.

Also, people who want to play competitively also want to chill as well from time to time. They won't all have a 24/7 competitive mindset.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Look at tf2. Nothing elitist there. There tends to be a difference between fps teams and mmo guilds.

Robotoboy20

Squid Scout
NNID
robotoboy30
Look at tf2. Nothing elitist there. There tends to be a difference between fps teams and mmo guilds.
From my experience with TF2 --- I disagree.

No? Squad battles are a separate mode from Regular and Ranked from what I know. Squads will be matched with other squads. A team of randoms won't be pitted against 4 people in a squad. If anything this is good because people who complain about bad teammates have a method of recourse and the people in Regular Battle won't have to deal with the so-called "tryhards" as much.

Acting like people who play games and try earnestly to win is inherently "bad" to me is just an annoying sentiment to have, so please just knock that off too. Just because people care about winning more than others doesn't mean that they don't have fun, otherwise they wouldn't be playing the game. Get off your high horse.
"Please just don't have opinions that aren't my own" Nah... Also if you read my entire post you'd see that I mention basically exactly what you said lol.

"However on the other hand I don't think it's an entirely bad concept. The "pro" (I use that terms lightly, and a tad bit sarcastically) players will have their private matches with friends so we can finally stop hearing about "horrible teams" and "crappy matchmaking" which will be nice." --- That's what I said.

I don't have an issue with people who try to win, I have a problem with people who think that winning is everything =] it's really not.You should probably not read my statement as "people who want to win don't have fun" I mostly feel that a lot of people who put winning as top priority often treat others --- well... not so great. --- so their fun at times comes at the expense of others. Again --- I'm talking about the social implications, not the in game ones.
Oh and no you're wrong - Rank is effected by squid battles they've mentioned as much right here

I think it'll be great because Rollers can't just kill everyone since we'll be telling each other the enemy positions through Skype.
On one hand I agree, because more than likely in team play - EVERYONE will be using some form of voice chat, however I really don't think the game was built for voice chat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recettear

Full Squid
NNID
anrakutei
"Please just don't have opinions that aren't my own" Nah... Also if you read my entire post you'd see that I mention basically exactly what you said lol.

"However on the other hand I don't think it's an entirely bad concept. The "pro" (I use that terms lightly, and a tad bit sarcastically) players will have their private matches with friends so we can finally stop hearing about "horrible teams" and "crappy matchmaking" which will be nice." --- That's what I said.

I don't have an issue with people who try to win, I have a problem with people who think that winning is everything =] it's really not.You should probably not read my statement as "people who want to win don't have fun" I mostly feel that a lot of people who put winning as top priority often treat others --- well... not so great. --- so their fun at times comes at the expense of others. Again --- I'm talking about the social implications, not the in game ones.
Oh and no you're wrong - Rank is effected by squid battles they've mentioned as much right here
I never said that Squad battles don't increase rank though? When have I made that claim?

1o2

Inkling Cadet
d start dismissing weapon choices, telling people what they shouldn't use or do..
Not even gonna lie, Clover (sorry I really don't remember your full name) already kinda did this in his Splatoon tutorial video. Although he wasn't condescending imo, except for maybe how he thinks Kraken is an absolutely worthless ability (which it is far from).

Mr.HawK

The Artist
I feel as though it's going to completely shift the social dynamic Splatoon currently has... and that makes me sad. At the moment squads are simply a group of like minded buddies, all who generally play like everyone else for the most part - but upon the release of "squad" matches, and private battles what's going to happen to the community!?

Clans have always bugged me in MMO's, FPS's, and even a few fighting games have them, like Tekken Tag 2... They create an elitist atmosphere since they're generally centered around becoming "elite" and while I know it's human nature to become tribal if the opportunity is there it kind of ruins the experience...

I love Splatoon the way it is personally --- It's not like I'm against the implementation of private lobbies since there's no leaderboard, points, or rank for them. It's the "squad" matches that urk me... You're going to have a lot of problems in the future by splitting up your player base.

However on the other hand I don't think it's an entirely bad concept. The "pro" (I use that terms lightly, and a tad bit sarcastically) players will have their private matches with friends so we can finally stop hearing about "horrible teams" and "crappy matchmaking" witch will be nice. My biggest issue is the social implication that we'll have on our hands... I'm expecting a lot of "MLG Splatoon-Pros" to come in and start dismissing weapon choices, telling people what they shouldn't use or do... etc. etc.... Anyways, does anyone else feel this might turn the social aspect of the game on it's head? Differing opinions?
Coming from a competitively based squad I can assure you that we by no means care about being an elite group that has a massive influence on the community by saying "what you chose is bad and is not viable". If anything we literally do not tolerate that kind of talk at all because 1. It doesn't help new or existing players improve with the choices that they make. 2. talking like that will turn the community into a massive rage fest about who thinks what weapon matchup is the best. And 3. anyone can be a pro player with enough practice, some have just peaked earlier than others.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, I love this community and I would hate to see it get turned on its backside just because some "pro player/team" thinks that what they do is the best and everyone is wrong. This isn't smash, this is Splatoon, anything is possible

Robotoboy20

Squid Scout
NNID
robotoboy30
I never said that Squad battles don't increase rank though? When h
Coming from a competitively based squad I can assure you that we by no means care about being an elite group that has a massive influence on the community by saying "what you chose is bad and is not viable". If anything we literally do not tolerate that kind of talk at all because 1. It doesn't help new or existing players improve with the choices that they make. 2. talking like that will turn the community into a massive rage fest about who thinks what weapon matchup is the best. And 3. anyone can be a pro player with enough practice, some have just peaked earlier than others.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, I love this community and I would hate to see it get turned on its backside just because some "pro player/team" thinks that what they do is the best and everyone is wrong. This isn't smash, this is Splatoon, anything is possible....
....... at zombocom.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I love how people use "MLG" for competitive players, as if MLG is like the foundation or highlight of competitive gaming. xD

I don't think there's anything to worry about. True competitive players will do their thing and not bother anyone just like every other reasonable person should. And private games will be good for everybody, not just tournament players.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Considering how competitive players are always the minority of just about every game population, I don't think there will be any issues. The people who are going to be ****s to others will get put into their place real quick by the people who know better.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Well yeah, but this has been something announced before the game was released. People want to play with their friends/squads and I guarantee you that this promise of squad play has been the main thing keeping a lot of interest in the game. Plus there are a few weapons and abilities that were made especially for squad battles.

This happens with anything competitive though, yeah some people will be elitists and jerks but they were elitist and jerks before. I don't see how this will shift anything besides making the community more involved and increasing the longevity of Splatoon.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
It's a team-based game. Of course people are going to form teams. I don't know what you're expecting, or why that's something to get up in arms about.

Robotoboy20

Squid Scout
NNID
robotoboy30
For the record, I'm not against the formation of squads. I was personally worried about the implications of elitism that may appear with their emergence. I plan to play with my two buddies and my fiance personally and have fun.

But also win, lol! Thanks for the replies folks, I was just curious on some other folks opinions on the matter.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Don't really see the problem with that as squad will alway fight against a another squad while solo ranked will still stay solo.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Question!

Are there any examples of elitism from Splatoon players past "Wow my team sucks!" which is actually a valid complaint since you have a good chance of getting matched with actual 9 year olds who are just messing around.
Once we get private lobbies even that won't be a complaint anymore. I'm asking because I certainly haven't seen any outright bashing of a group of people past laggy rollers from Japan or something.
The implication made in the OP is that just having squads/tournaments will make a rift between players, but this is a thing that happens normally in any kind of multiplayer game. There's a difference between someone who plays League because they like going "BREAK THEIR RANKS" as Garen and someone vying for Silver or Gold or whatever, and this isn't bad.

Splatoon is a team based, mulitplayer shooter, as missingno said, squads are kind of inevitable, which is FINE. Playing for fun and playing seriously with squads are absolutely not mutually exclusive, and anyone who acts like it is will likely get put in their place.

As for weapons, there's good and bad weapons/sets, or ones that favor a certain mode or play style. If all the weapons were equally good, there wouldn't be a point in playing anything but Splattershots, someone saying X isn't viable will likely also back up their claim-"Man the Luna blaster sucks and anyone who uses it is a slimy hipster" probably won't catch on.

Lastly, for every elitist in TF2, there's 3 other guys willing to help a new player learn how to Rocket Jump. Emphasizing the bad angles of a community and neglecting the good points does nothing but cripple any attempt at discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom