• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Improving The Gear Building System

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
How about we get rid of solo builds first. The moment you're allowed to put in your abilities, I knew the system would be abused. This is what I propose:

Basically, if you have too much of the same abilities equipped, most of them will be canceled out. And because there are people who won't even listen, only other players will see this from their POV.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
How about we get rid of solo builds first. The moment you're allowed to put in your abilities, I knew the system would be abused. This is what I propose:

Basically, if you have too much of the same abilities equipped, most of them will be canceled out. And because there are people who won't even listen, only other players will see this from their POV.
No, people are just bad at making builds. Stacking any ability beyond 3 mains should be met with skepticism, because beyond that point the diminishing returns becomes so bad you're better off with different abilities. 3 mains of swim speed up moves almost as fast as an entire loadout of SSU. Take a look at this fun little graph over here. (Do note that the NS graph is outdated, but everything else should be fine)

An Inkbrush is a lightweight-class weapon, which while it does move faster than normal or heavyweights, it receives less benefits from SSU. While SSU is still useful for it, it absolutely shouldn't be stacked to ridiculous lengths when you can use things like Quick Respawn+Comeback or Stealth Jump+Quick Super Jump for it to get around the battlefield faster. You get way more mileage out of your build that way.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
No, people are just bad at making builds. Stacking any ability beyond 3 mains should be met with skepticism, because beyond that point the diminishing returns becomes so bad you're better off with different abilities. 3 mains of swim speed up moves almost as fast as an entire loadout of SSU. Take a look at this fun little graph over here. (Do note that the NS graph is outdated, but everything else should be fine)

An Inkbrush is a lightweight-class weapon, which while it does move faster than normal or heavyweights, it receives less benefits from SSU. While SSU is still useful for it, it absolutely shouldn't be stacked to ridiculous lengths when you can use things like Quick Respawn+Comeback or Stealth Jump+Quick Super Jump for it to get around the battlefield faster. You get way more mileage out of your build that way.
If people are so bad at making builds, then they should be prevented making things like this and be taught that what they're trying to do just doesn't always work out.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I use Hydra Splatling, so 3 swim speed up benefits me.
It does help zip zooming away when you are a sitting/standing duck and needs to move from position posthaste.
What more abilities do i need?

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
If people are so bad at making builds, then they should be prevented making things like this and be taught that what they're trying to do just doesn't always work out.
Gonna disagree with you on that one.

Builds lets you experiment and further tweak your playstyle beyond the limitations of your own weapon, which is part of the appeal of builds in games in general. There's going to be optimal builds among the combinations available, for sure, but you can still tune it however you like and let it support your playstyle. There's also the benefit that the devs can use the player data to gauge what abilities are desired the most on certain weapons and balance the game accordingly. That, and devs do not have the foresight to know what makes a weapon viable, and if it turns out a few perks are good enough to make a bad weapon work, then well problem solved right?

If someone wants to deck their entire build with one perk, let them. They'll eventually learn what they're doing is a bad idea, and not only change their build, but also get better at the game. Managing your abilities is another skill needed to learn on how to get good, and forcing arbitrary restrictions on the perk system in a way you personally think is better for the game doesn't make things more interesting.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
To be fair, the game could be clearer regarding the ins and outs of abilities. You would expect Run Speed Up to affect Rollers and Brushes, for example, and you would think something called 'Stealth Jump' hides your jump marker at all times.
I mean, when you get invested in a game like this, you really oughtta look around for information online and wikis and stuff like that anyway, but it could be a bit more accessible.

Hiro Protagonest

Full Squid
I always feel strange when thinking about things like this, because I'm not compelled by RNG at all, and I'm not in love with numeric progression. I know there are people who share the sentiment, but we're relatively few; I'm a serious fighting game player. I can still grind some mobile/handheld games while watching videos, I still like Rune Factory 4 for its general vibe, dialogue and polish.

I wish I could stack Drink Ticket effects even if it had some dimishing returns (like first one gives 30% chance, second one is 45% or 50%, third one is 60% max), because man do I have a lot of tickets from Grizzco. I also have tons of cash yeah, though not gaining enough at any point that I don't slightly lose cash during the dedicated ability grind. Spending money for another source of chunks would be good, even if it's RNG too.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm trying to think of another game where you can`t see how a piece of gear effects your character. Be it some sort of percentage, number, or meter. The trial and error of splatoons gear system is pretty meh if you think about it.

Hiro Protagonest

Full Squid
Oh yeah, the game should at least talk about diminishing returns.

A "shots per tank" value would be nice and subweapons already have the line on the tank. Special Charge Up could give the effective painting points to fill the gauge, like loadout.ink does. Hiding away the movement stats where kids won't easily find them and get confused would be fine.

(I also think the test area could use some improvements for practicing things)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom