• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ink Mine Placements

Nucleose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KingNucleose
I was originally going to put this in maps but it's also kind of weapon specific so I decided this was fine. This is mainly geared towards Splat Zone mode as well.

I'm a big fan of the Aerospray RG as it gives me a strong sense of mobility and utility and lets me harassing the enemy and helping keep key points safe without much interference. However, sometimes I wonder if I'm choosing the best spots for my ink mines and if better placement would help me push my role on my teams to a better place as I know my weapon is something people can see as a dead weight on Ranked. I just like the way this weapon feels most and want to do whatever I can to become great with it.

This is also for the other ink mine weapons, though I like it best on Aerospray because of how mobile you are and great for placing these things. Skatepark has the most obvious placements, like on the tower and on the ledge on the enemy's side they need to get over through the middle to get to the main area. Places Port Mackerel or Walleye though....Seems like maybe I should just be using a different weapon, or the Aerospray MG...(I guess I'm also just asking for Aerospray Splatzone advice in general, very open discussion)

Njok

Bouncer
I don't usually use the RG in ranked, but i do in turf wars.

I like to wait with placing them until i'm about to be attacked by two opponents (or one with a better ranged gun). Especially in places like the tower on Blackbelly. I feel that spot is so obvious that 9 out of 10 players are gonna expect it there and you won't have many success by just placing it. However if you place them, then engage in gunfight and slowly back off, they will likely be to focused on getting you and will not pay attention to the mine.

Further i just place them at spots where i see enemies are likely to come at that moment. I don't like placing them on set places because of the reason i mentioned before (people are expecting them).

As for splatzones, an ideal place would obviously be at their sniper spots. However, if you are able to get up there every 20 seconds or so, then you either are squidgod or playing against a completely retarded / disconnected team and i guess the point of being sneaky is gone :D. So yeah, i think i'd still go for spots where i expect them to turn up (if they have a krak-on roller, spots where he is likely to place beakons for example).

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
In ranked mode at Kelp dome, when I use the RG(rare since I mainly use .52 gal w/splash wall) I love placing them at the base of that small wall they ink up on their side. I see snipers get on it alot its just a vertical rectangle so to speak, anywho I love setting one just at the base of it because when they ink and try to swim up it the delay they get from going to ground->wall is enough for the ink mine to blow up and kill them. It never fails >:D
also camp out there since its right where their spawn is and the mine doesn't last forever.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
I use the new squiffer occasionally on ranked. The mine is (obviously) most useful in places where the enemies tend to go through often. These are places such as the tower on skatepark or the choke point in the zone on saltspray. If you're sniping from one spot (say, the hallway on urchin underpass), it's useful to put down where you are just as a failsafe if someone sneaks up on you

0404Link

Inkling
NNID
Pmush
I'm a big believer in the RG, and heres what I have to say:
-DO NOT walk rush straight towards someone. You will die, either if they have longer range, or know how to backpedal.
-When you get into a close-quarters fight, ALWAYS remember to strafe. If you don't, you will most likely trade with your opponent (What i call it when you and your enemy die at the same time from each other, its happened to all of us and it is annoying).
-Place mines around corners, so they don't see it until its too late. Remember: mines can be placed in enemy territory, so you can use that.
-When using ink strike, place it behind opponents so they can't retreat, forcing them to run right into you. This is especially useful for dealing with campy snipers.
-on saltspray rig, placing mines on the elevators is hilarious, there is no escape!
-on urchin underpass, infiltrate the enemy territory through the side areas. The little ramp they have to go up to get there is great for mine- camping.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
ink mine is really hard to get much use out of because everyone shoots ahead of them, you really cant just place them down for a free frag. id say that mines are dead dead weight because of how inconsistent it is, but thats really doing a disservice to the fact that a free frag is a free frag. its not an awful sub, its just hard to utilize.

your best chances of securing a frag with it is placing it around corners people tend to turn tight, such as around the corners near the ramps in saltspray rig, or down the slope and into your base in urchin underpass. also, the hallway that extends from the left/right sides of walleye warehouse have that little wall you can hide mines behind. this is just a few examples, but you get the idea... people tend to turn tight when going downhill, and if they dont, they at least wont shoot over the mine. behind corners is one of the most consistent areas you can secure a frag with mines.

you can also place mines on high ground, like the forklifts in port mackerel, or the sniper towers on saltspray rig. since you have to ink up the wall and then hit the floor, the mine will detonate as soon as they touch the ground, and before they can safely detonate it. of course, they can just jump off the high ground and swim right back up, but that requires some moderately fast reaction time on their part.

the best way ive utilized mines is just dropping one when i've lost a firefight. most people tend to get distracted fighting you, and once they go "oh ****, they dropped a mine" in their head its too late. its a semi-reliable kamikaze tactic, although i prefer not dying a lot in this game...

if you just place a mine out in the open, you wont get any frags with it. everyone just shoots in front of them because
  1. thats the objective
  2. having ink in front of you lets you swim up
  3. having ink anywhere near you gives you a place to retreat
so theres no reason to not shoot. and because of that, any mine thats placed without thought is going to be useless to you.

the effectiveness of your ink mines and the opportunities to place it varies from map to map, but in general, maps with an emphasis on verticality and hallways are going to have the most spots for you. maps like port mackerel and walleye warehouse tend to funnel players through a lot of chokes (assuming they dont just rush down to mid,) which gives mines more placement options, and thus, more opportunity to secure frags. hope this helps.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Using a mine when in a stalemate in a hallway or corner works well, so that if you die or need to retreat, the enemy is at least slowed down, if not killed as well. Also, placing them on commonly walked on surfaces, like vantage points to shoot from, or platforms you jump down from, or up to, are good spots as well, especially when on your opponent's side of the map.

Mister Chippy

Inkster Jr.
I only have 2 places I like putting mines, but they're pretty effective. The first is on Port Mackerel, in the enemy zone. I put the mine about halfway betwee the far wall and the raised area in the middle, a little to the left of center. It covers people who walk in from the ground level, jump from the ledge at the left of the zone, and people who come in from the ledge on the right. It's also surprisingly hard to escape because that thing on the ground messes with movement, so typically if an enemy manages to notice the bomb activate and somehow gets out of the way they're forced into a bad position that's easy to deal with.

The spot on bluefin is also in the zone, Just a little bit inside the corner closest to the enemy side and the center. Enemies are likely to step over it and like the Port spot it's really hard to find a safe place to move to in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom