• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Resource icon

General Guide Ink Mines

Lynx-

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6899-1684-1967
Lynx- submitted a new resource:

Ink Mines - An intro to Ink Mines, and some other crap

Ink Mines are a type of Sub-Weapon that can hide inside of the ink of your own team, and ONLY your own team's ink. They can be placed and will activate when covered by enemy ink, or an enemy is close enough. They are placed like any other Sub-Weapon (Right bumper). One tactical advantage to this is that it could be placed where nobody is looking and when it's covered in ink it'll blow up and possibly get a kill.
Up to 2 ink Mines can be placed at a time and placing more...
Read more about this resource...

Last edited:

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Ok as the OG ink mine enthusiast I will share a few things I personally know

Inkmines can be place underneath rainmaker shields, as the shield expands it will cover the inkmine allowing you to reveal all those nearby in range of the inkmine and do a decent amount of dmg if you place down 2
Inkmine with rapid blaster is the strongest this is due to the rapid blaster quick aoe firerate complimenting the dmg of the inkmine allowing you to oneshot if you hit them
Cheese Strat: never jump in on an UCbrella, if you catch someone jumping you can place an inkmine hit them with the shield of the brella and fire oneshotting most opponenets, it is a really quick way to take someone out but it is not one you can actively plan for

Rants of a salty spaltoon vet
Sadly I will admit though I miss S1 inkmines so much they were a OHKO but were really slow activation, that was triggered by motion or if the enemy paintered it from any range that was easy to pick up on and you could only place 1 at a time, so most player could swim away easily or with bomb sniffer avoid it all together.
So why did I like it? because it worked so well on the 2 chargers it was apart of the Squiffer and eliter could use them to cover flanks and warn them of incoming danger or if they were fortunate and clever manuver to force them into one or even tap them with a half charge to take them out due to the lrg radius dealing 1/2 dmg to them

1nfa

Inkling
Pronouns
He/Him/Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2936-2194-2313
To add onto it as someone who is a mine nerd, for context I have 5 stared 2 mine weapons in rapid and tent, and the only other 5 star is vtent.

Mine is a really good get off me tool, or area holding tool. For eliter in particular, its an amazing get off me tool as it gives them time to jump or partial whoever got hit by mine. The other and better way to use mine is to put them in areas ahead of where you want to control. So for example, if you are holding zone with the goal to KO. You would place mines where the enemy team has to drop down to get to zone. This hits them for 35 or 45 damage which shaves off a shot or two to kill for you and your teammates(you might hate them, but they defo help and benefit from it).

The reason you place it in front of where you want to hold is that when they trigger it, they are forced to make a choice. Because it paints your feet, they have to choose if you want to back up and pray they can't reach you as you paint out. If you go forward they have to deal with the damage they just took and pray they don't hit shots. And if they somehow win that fight, they have to deal with the tracking effect and the 3 teammates you have looking at your ouch. You also get time to pick what you want to do, if you have short range it gives you time to back up. And if you have long range you get to choose if you want to back up or kill them safely.

Mine is a super helpful tool and has a lot of potent strengths and cheese. For example, did you know that the radius of sub power mine can match sploosh's range? I don't remember the exact cost of it, but I think 1.3(one main, 3 subs) sub power gets close to, if not outranges it. The tracking and damage radius of mine stacks and increases really fast, if you have the room to I recommend running 1.1 sub power on mine weapons. This might sound niche, but it lets you place one mine to lock down an entire area. It paints over someone and is more likely to hit them for 45 damage, and if someone is going with them they'll probably get caught in the 35 damage hit. If you use two mines, the radius to hit someone for 90, 80, or 70 is frankly absurd.

If you want more cheese, did you know that with 1.1 sub power you can half cap most full zones? You do it by making sure it has full room to explode and paint over the zone. This is helpful as if the enemy team trys to cheese zone, it half caps and you need a bit of paint to instantly recap zone. If you set it up right you can stop reef cheese as well. For smaller zones, just one mine is enough to half cap. For the largest zones however, you can't half cap with only 2 mines

Edit as I forgot to talk about it

I honestly prefer the mine in 2 and 3 compared to the mine in 1. Using the extra utility of two mines and sub power is super nice for more options that you can always follow up on. S1 mines could be a bit harder to follow up on safely as if it doesn't kill, it doesn't paint their feet a lot. Compare that to 3 mines where if you are really fast you might be able to parry the mine before landing in enemy ink with someone wanting to kill you

Last edited:

a hot mess

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
They/Them
NNID
london
Switch Friend Code
SW-0705-2349-2993
just place 'em where those pests of opponents will ink, and boom, they're ripe for death.

1nfa

Inkling
Pronouns
He/Him/Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2936-2194-2313
just place 'em where those pests of opponents will ink, and boom, they're ripe for death.
Not always but it will often play out like that. You want to put them where people drop more so than where they paint. If they just paint over it, all it does is tall time. If its where they often go without thinking to ink too much, or have to go? Then yeah, they pmuch always die. If you feel like being super rude, you have a teammate drop a mist on them so they have some time to think about what they did before suffering a death that they can't stop :)

a hot mess

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
They/Them
NNID
london
Switch Friend Code
SW-0705-2349-2993
i'm normally not a flingza advocate, but if you want to explore ink mines, flingza is the weapon for you. maybe, like mess around a little. place it in spots opponents will swarm in. run special charge up and sub saver so you can just spam missiles as your opponents suffer. you can essentially turn aerospray mains into mice with this sub, and watch them squirm in your ink as (hopefully) your teammates make quick work of them and take control of the turf. it essentially just turns into a game of mousetraps. weapons with good ink coverage will fall straight into the ink mines. then they just perish. better yet, find a good weapon with ink mines and good damage output. god this makes me hungry for H3 with ink mine and triple splashdown,,

1nfa

Inkling
Pronouns
He/Him/Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2936-2194-2313
i'm normally not a flingza advocate, but if you want to explore ink mines, flingza is the weapon for you. maybe, like mess around a little. place it in spots opponents will swarm in. run special charge up and sub saver so you can just spam missiles as your opponents suffer. you can essentially turn aerospray mains into mice with this sub.
Alternative, rapid. Rapid is amazing to play off of mines, it traps people for indirects and bridges the damage gap for a direct. If you use swim speed you can do the same thing of run around and have a fun time. You also have an easier time setting up traps as you have the range advantage. It might be a bit harder to experiment with however as it does have a bit of a mechanical requirement depending on your skill level, flingza is much easier to get into as you can just slap people compared to having to worry about a lot of things on rapid

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom