• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ink or Sink Tournament! v.1.1b Final Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleSoundDJ

Full Squid
NNID
littlesounddj
I am sure we can find a time that's fine for all of us as we're in the same time zone.

But then finding a time that our opposing team is available for is the concern, as a time that's good for us will be bad for them and vice versa.

You're probably right and we shouldn't have signed up. (At the time I signed up I thought it was going to be a mad weekend of running through the bracket, which my team was up for, plus the organizers had said that they were trying to make a ruleset that was friendly for worldwide play) But if all tournaments are going to be modeled after this one then it seems our team will never get a chance to participate under this kind of ruleset.

If it gets closer to the date and the rules stay as they are (and no hard feelings if they do) I'll withdraw our team to make room for another one.
this is why I like tournaments that are defined what times you need to be available. if they said hey, to be in this tournament, your team needs to have 4 people available to be able to play from 10am edt to 5pm edt on this day. it's a big time commitment, but the idea behind a tournament is to find what the best team is at that time,and when things are drawn out over potentially 2 weeks, (especially at this stage of the game) the meta will shift and things will change. A ladder system works better if you want to spend more than a few days on it.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
it's a big time commitment, but the idea behind a tournament is to find what the best team is at that time,and when things are drawn out over potentially 2 weeks, (especially at this stage of the game) the meta will shift and things will change.
tournaments since the beginning of competitive gaming have had their own metas develop and shift, even over the course of a weekend.

and while I understand that pressing for time might seem like a good idea given that you have a leader who's making a fool of himself, it'll only take like three or four days for the good teams to shape up anyway

Alecat

Full Squid
NNID
alecatmew
this is why I like tournaments that are defined what times you need to be available. if they said hey, to be in this tournament, your team needs to have 4 people available to be able to play from 10am edt to 5pm edt on this day. it's a big time commitment, but the idea behind a tournament is to find what the best team is at that time,and when things are drawn out over potentially 2 weeks, (especially at this stage of the game) the meta will shift and things will change. A ladder system works better if you want to spend more than a few days on it.
Eh, I'm happy with tournaments that are arranged either way. I made a mistake in judgement about how big this tournament was going to get though so I made a few assumptions which turned out to be wrong. I don't blame the TOs for evolving their ruleset as they feel is appropriate, in fact I think it's awesome and proactive of them.

Anyway, whether we participate or not, the tournament is looking like it's got tons of great players interested so I'll be keeping an eye on it either way :)

LittleSoundDJ

Full Squid
NNID
littlesounddj
tournaments since the beginning of competitive gaming have had their own metas develop and shift, even over the course of a weekend.

and while I understand that pressing for time might seem like a good idea given that you have a leader who's making a fool of himself, it'll only take like three or four days for the good teams to shape up anyway
i understand that, but a meta shifting over 2 weeks is a lot different than 2 days, especially given how new the scene is, and that competitive scrims will only actually start happening a day before the tournament. also note, i stated that as an OPINION and not "this tournament has to do this"

If you think it's only going to take four days for teams to "shape up," I don't even know what to say to that.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
If you think it's only going to take four days for teams to "shape up," I don't even know what to say to that.
many teams in this tournament have been playing together for a long time, and many of those teams have had enough fps experience to be able to come up with and implement strategies in a very short timespan. given that many teams will have been working on strats, weapons, and even callouts for the past two months or more, it will not take more than a few days to throw together some lineups, queue for 4v4 ranked to try them out, and sort the good ideas from the bad ones.

and I said "good" teams, as in the teams to which the above applies

ADDED: also apologies if it seemed like I was making fun of you or otherwise seeming aggressive, meant nothing of the sort

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
So I did send an email to Nintendo asking about the splatfest and private lobbies matter and they got back to me with this.

First off, that was a really great response. This Devin person is really nice : ]. And second the what are your thoughts about this?

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
Can these matches be completed before their supposed starting date? (For example Winners Round 3 on the 9th instead of 12th-14th.) Or are the rounds strictly to their set dates? It would be annoying if the latter was the case...
These can be changed depending on the pace of the tournament.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
So I did send an email to Nintendo asking about the splatfest and private lobbies matter and they got back to me with this.

First off, that was a really great response. This Devin person is really nice : ]. And second the what are your thoughts about this?
Yeah. Really nice response. But can I call half garbage on the fact that you don't know how the game is going to work? I mean, nice guy, but really.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
Yeah. Really nice response. But can I call half garbage on the fact that you don't know how the game is going to work? I mean, nice guy, but really.
He might be instructed not to tell us. He did use interesting wording in saying that we should go through with the tournament though.. So I'm suspicious.

Alecat

Full Squid
NNID
alecatmew
It could be that Nintendo are planning to wait last minute on the idea depending on how popular public lobbies are.

If everyone proves that they will sequester themselves in private games then they might disable them just to make sure the Splatfest has enough people playing...?

But more reaslistically, frontline help guy probably has no idea. It's a pretty wishy-washy response. Thanks for trying to get a concrete answer though RoyLee.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
I'm calling it now, one of the Imperious teams is going to win ;).

so basically go with the plan B? pls..

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
I am surprised they answered at all. But I am personally cheering for Plan B at this point.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
Team members and weapons swagging only possible between sets, is that correct ?
Rounds is a way too confusing word.

Box

Pro Squid
Attention Everyone! The bracket has been randomized for the final time! Make sure to get into contact with the other team leader so you can find a time to partake in your matches.
Did you guys change the bracket again since this was posted?

superwildcard

Inkling
NNID
superwildcard
Team Name: Team Superjuarri
Team Leader IGN/NNID:
Adam/nenaadam1
Skype of team leader: superwildcard
Team Members IGN’s/NNID’s (3-7): Levi/LEEBOY6996 Soleley/SoleleyBecause Mage S./Mage_Sorcerer Shade/Shadacorn Im-Alex*/SuperStar9898 kill em/awsomecool Aaron/KOPPATROPA
Team Tag (2-4 Characters): TSJ
Can anyone stream on your team (Yes/No) if so, twitch? : No
Can you host a room (Yes/No): Yes
Main timezone of team: PST
I edited the Skype of team leader. It is now superwildcard. Thank you =]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom