• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ink or Sink Tournament! v.1.1b Final Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
In response to everyone relating to DC's, we are currently working on a new way of managing DCs and we hope to implement that in the future IoS tournaments. We are working as hard as we can and we want to make sure that we can do something successful in the future.

Thankfully rocket made a very good post regarind THIS TOURNAMENTS DC rules. Remember that we will be changing the DC rules for future tournaments.

Thanks for you for the support!

DashEmeth

Inkster Jr.
NNID
dashemeth
The current DC rule is as follows:

If a player on either side disconnects prior to the halfway mark of a fairly even match, the match is to be replayed. If a disconnect occurs after the halfway mark of a match, OR the match is not fairly even, it will not be replayed. To clarify, a fairly even match would be about 50-50 60-40 for any mode. When the DC occurs, it should be noted immediately to the other players. That way, a time and score can be clearly marked by more than one person. Obviously this is a trust that we put onto teams, because we can not see EVERY disconnect and determine the best outcome. If there is an issue, a TO should be notified during the match, not after. If a DC occurs more than once by a team, it is not replayed, even if it happens in the first half of a match.
So with this updated rule, we replayed a match that was not supposed to be.

I'm not there to be the guy that don't want to loose at a game, i'm just glad to see a change in the ruleset to prevent this to happen again.

Theres a simple way to know when someone is DC, just look at the inklings icons to the top of the screen, if there's one death inkling icon that never come back to life, that means there's a DC. TD had there 4 living inkling icons at almost 30 secs from the end of the game for example. With the halfway DC rule, it's easy to notice that there's a problem.

Once again thank you for this tourney and we are looking forward to the next one, peace.

Burnburn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Burnburn
I would consider 100-30 to be just as "fairly even" as 60-50 or any score for that matter. Comebacks are real in Splatoon, just take my team's game against Magic Squids for example. In the first game we had a DC, the score was something around 50-90 for the other team, sounds like they should be given a win, right(We replayed that match btw)? Well the next 3 matches were all won by the team that was at a pretty large deficit at one point of the game. The next match we got back from 86-59, the match after that from 100-24 and the next match the other team comes back from 24-100.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Imperious 2 3 - 0 Koopa Clan

Good games Koopa Clan, and pics will come soon from one of us.

Last edited:

Mr.HawK

The Artist
After today I dont know what to think about Turf war. our match with SND just didnt feel right, I feel like 3v3's should not happen what so ever

I feel like crap after what happened, SND please understand we have the utmost respect for you guys. At this point I literally feel like we should have just taken a DQ instead of that round. I apologize for anything we may have said on stream

Last edited:

Sean

Inkling
NNID
Seanazure
Imperious 2 3 - 0 Koopa Clan

game 1: Saltspray Rig

game 2: Kelp Dome

game 3: Kelp Dome

Bans:
First game: Arowana Mall [kc ban] | Skatepark, Urchin [im ban] | Warehouse [kc ban]
Second game: Urchin | Skatepark | Bluefin
Third game: Urchin |Skatepark | Bluefin

GGs!

Pikrass

Inkling
NNID
Pikrass
Alliance Rainbow 3 3 - 1 Alliance Rainbow 2

Maps :
  1. Walleye Warehouse (AR3)
  2. Kelp Dome (AR2)
  3. Saltspray Rig (AR3)
  4. Camp Triggerfish (AR3)

Burnburn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Burnburn
Name Subject to Change 1 - 3 In the Ink. I've made some picture, forgot to take them for one match though. Will probably post them later

Didn't take a pic of game one, I was bummed out because I did badly, heh

And there you have it, NSTC is out. It was fun while it lasted, outside from a little bump in the road, thanks for everything TOs!

Last edited:

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
In response to everyone relating to DC's, we are currently working on a new way of managing DCs and we hope to implement that in the future IoS tournaments. We are working as hard as we can and we want to make sure that we can do something successful in the future.

Thankfully rocket made a very good post regarind THIS TOURNAMENTS DC rules. Remember that we will be changing the DC rules for future tournaments.

Thanks for you for the support!
Maybe something related to this would work?

http://squidboards.com/threads/disconnection-policy-for-tournament-play.6374/

Symph

Full Squid
NNID
Symphonia46
Squid Squad Spades win against Blooper Ink 3-0.
GGs to them. We need Nintendo to make a coin with one side a kid and the other a squid right now!

Spades started bans:

Match 1:
Urchin, Warehouse and Saltspray, and Arrowana
Match 2:
Saltspray, Urchin, and Arrowana
Match 3:
Saltspray, Urchin, and Arrowana

DashEmeth

Inkster Jr.
NNID
dashemeth
Please update the first post of this topic with the "Current DC rules".

The first post of the topic is where I went when TD asked to replay our match.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
After a cursory glance at that, there's something interesting there: arrowana mall was always banned game one.
It's one of the most ridiculous zones to confirm and to even reclaim it back is stupid because you never register enough ink to reverse it. (Even on other maps i've taken back zones through my main weapons against someone's bomb special).

The map update helps slightly by adding some portions on the sides of the zones but the zone itself is still busted and with a competent team, you can cover all bases to the point of them being choke points. (A̶n̶d̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶n̶o̶y̶i̶n̶g̶).

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
It's one of the most ridiculous zones to confirm and to even reclaim it back is stupid because you never register enough ink to reverse it. (Even on other maps i've taken back zones through my main weapons against someone's bomb special).

The map update helps slightly by adding some portions on the sides of the zones but the zone itself is still busted and with a competent team, you can cover all bases to the point of them being choke points. (A̶n̶d̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶n̶o̶y̶i̶n̶g̶).
It's nowhere near as difficult as Urchin. You can have 90% of that zone and it still won't tick over to control.

Ultramus

Pro Squid
REGARDING DISQUALIFICATIONS AND DISCONNECTIONS

Hey everyone, so as you know there have been a few problems popping up regarding the DC and DQ rule. Let me clarify some changes and answer some questions.

The current DC rule is as follows:

If a player on either side disconnects prior to the halfway mark of a fairly even match, the match is to be replayed. If a disconnect occurs after the halfway mark of a match, OR the match is not fairly even, it will not be replayed. To clarify, a fairly even match would be about 50-50 60-40 for any mode. When the DC occurs, it should be noted immediately to the other players. That way, a time and score can be clearly marked by more than one person. Obviously this is a trust that we put onto teams, because we can not see EVERY disconnect and determine the best outcome. If there is an issue, a TO should be notified during the match, not after. If a DC occurs more than once by a team, it is not replayed, even if it happens in the first half of a match.

The current DQ rule is as follows:

If a team fails to contact their opponent or makes little effort to accommodate to schedules within 48 hours of being paired up with their next opponent, they will be disqualified. YES, there are teams from different countries in this tournament which is awesome. BUT, entering this tournament with a vastly different time zone, you must understand that 90% of the time, you will be the one changing your schedule. The schedule has been and will continue to be pushed back due to the losers bracket. We will not be disqualifying teams left and right. The most important thing is to play with a sense of urgency, and to try to get matches in sooner rather than later. Loser's bracket does need to pick up speed, so please contact your opponent and get your matches done. If there is a scheduling issue with both teams, a hard decision will be made on who advances. Also, it's important to remember that for teams with 8 players, you might not get to have your A team every match. Forcing a match later on vs a squad of 4 just to wait for a certain player on your team isn't fair. That being said, teams of 4 should understand that because they have fewer players, they are likely to have more scheduling issues. That's why the cap was raised to 8. That way potential subs are registered, not being added on halfway through the tournament.

Thank you for all your understanding and hopefully this cleared some things up. The DQ and DC rules are very situational and hard to set firm in stone, so if you have any issues or questions let me know.
I'm not sure where the "halfway mark/not close" rule was in the opening post, because I didn't see it, that would have prevented a large dispute in my team's round 2 game, and SHOULD have been mentioned in a very obvious way. Had I known that was the rule, our tournament would have gone much differently and we would have avoided a situation that left a bad taste in our mouth.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
For future tournaments can there be a time limit for banning between maps? Some teams already use the full 60 second countdown after the map is chosen and sometimes it takes up to 5 minutes for a map banning. It should be hardcapped to 60-90 seconds then the host can pick either random or any map of their choosing that they haven't previously won on.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
I surely hope not. It takes that long because teams need to discuss things. It's not like a single player game where you can just do some quick thinking in your head and be on your merry way. Teams have to discuss what happened in the last round and what they need to fix and which maps they want to ban/choose. Then after the map is chosen, then need to discuss which weapons they are using and more strategy before finally being ready. This can't happen in a short period of time, especially right now as people are just getting used to playing with each other

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Momentum is a huge thing in team based games. Allowing the opposite team to have as much time as they want to discuss bans ruins that momentum. I for one am not going to play for 25 minutes and sit around for 45 min waiting for the other team.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
Imperious 1 3 - 0 Elbow Drops & Peanut Pops

Game 1 Walleye:

Game 2 Bluefin:

Game 3 Saltspray:

GGs

Mr.HawK

The Artist
For future tournaments can there be a time limit for banning between maps? Some teams already use the full 60 second countdown after the map is chosen and sometimes it takes up to 5 minutes for a map banning. It should be hardcapped to 60-90 seconds then the host can pick either random or any map of their choosing that they haven't previously won on.
5 minutes?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom