Ink Skipping???

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
There's a trick I've been seeing from shooters in splatoon. The players aim at the ground and either circle around an opponent by swimming or run away. My first time spoting this was at Hammerhead Bridge when I was sniping. This one guy was just moving left and right when I was aiming at him. I thought it was some weird trolling, but then I noticed that same method when I used my bubbler and thought it was some strange technique japanese players use. I don't know if it has a name, but I call it Ink Skipping. Has anyone else noticed this?

NovaScienceNever

Senior Squid
Sounds more like people who don't know how to position their camera's at a more upward facing angle, the way you've described the phenomenon is kind of ambiguous.

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
Sounds more like people who don't know how to position their camera's at a more upward facing angle, the way you've described the phenomenon is kind of ambiguous.
Well okay then I'll be more specific let's say some one is caught in enemy ink and someone is gunning them down. They will try to use the most mobile way of escape. All the person has to do is be in their own ink. Usually those who do this "Ink Skipping" fire once with their gun towards the ground making a puddle of ink, turn into squids and repeat. Most of the time players who do this have swim up gear and ink resistance. This method can force players to make a 180 degree turn when trying to splat someone

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
What TeaBee is describing definitely happens fairly regularly in S rooms and up. Its something like they are alternating ZR (at the ground) and ZL to make a tiny rapid-fire escape route and then skipping through their small puddles as they go, allowing them to be much more mobile while fleeing at the same time.

I am also not sure what this phenomenon is called, so I have adopted TeaBee's term. I'd personally like to learn how to pull this off effectively as well. I kinda toyed around with it but I had little success (but my gear was not configured as TeaBee described, so..)

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
It's a real technique, no trolling thing. I've seen many people attempt this...most not successful really against me as I main a charger, and their movement becomes predictable. But it's the most efficient way of moving when either cornered, surrounded by enemy ink, or need a quick get away. Swim speed up + ink resistance really makes this a viable little skill.

It's something I've noticed in my earlier time of playing this game, but it's real and used among higher ranked people who can pull it off with ease.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Does it look something like this?

When I lurk other Splatoon boards, like the ones in reddit and gamefaqs, I see it referred to as the raijin step. Don't know how or why it's called that.

Sometimes when playing charger some splooshes and even a few juniors and tentateks will use it to avoid my aim or approach me.

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
Does it look something like this?

When I lurk other Splatoon boards, like the ones in reddit and gamefaqs, I see it referred to as the raijin step. Don't know how or why it's called that.

Sometimes when playing charger some splooshes and even a few juniors and tentateks will use it to avoid my aim or approach me.
You've hit the nail on the head with this link. That's what's it''s like. I guess they use Raijin because it's supposed to be quick as lightning.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
you run into it A LOT if you play any chargers. it's a popular strategy for dodging shots, though it alone will not save you against a decent charger (since it can sometimes be more predictable than a less patterned approach).

it's only really difficult to hit when they're already up close to you and circling around you (which happens sometimes when i pull out my bubbler), in which case i have to either jump away or flee and pivot quickly to get a better shot.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
lol this is pretty much the first tech the community coined. It's been known around here as splat dashing/sqiudteching since before the game launched. I mean techincally the link above is squidteching since it's being used in close range of survival, and not so much as a movement option, but that term never actually took off -it was just something TO Joe said way back before even the beta tests - and the inputs are the same, so it's probably just best referred to as Sdashing.

Here's the old thread: http://squidboards.com/threads/splatdashing-correctly-the-advanced-movement-option.1119/

Logan-sama

Inkling
NNID
Logan-sama
I used to use it a lot. Still do with Splash-o-matic, especially when I want to get on people's nerves. When I was with the 8-bit squids we called it splatterdashing. So, splat dashing, lol.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Yeah this is a very handy technique to get out of tough scenarios, I even used this as a splat charger to get out of a enemy kraken and burst bomb push
Although while we are on the subject of techs does anyone now how to preform those sliding strafe that I see octobrush and inkbrushes use so much

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
Yeah this is a very handy technique to get out of tough scenarios, I even used this as a splat charger to get out of a enemy kraken and burst bomb push
Although while we are on the subject of techs does anyone now how to preform those sliding strafe that I see octobrush and inkbrushes use so much
Kind of, it's almost the same as splat dashing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom